CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear. Our son starts middle school this year and my husband has it in his head that we can't take him out of middle school. I'm not that concerned and think he'd be fine. We've got the 11-night Canary Islands cruise booked in March 2019 and he'd have to miss a week of school for that. The summer British Isles cruise would be good because he wouldn't miss any school. But the Canary Islands cruise is $3600 for 11-nights and the British Isles is $8400 for 12-nights. Same ship, same room even.

mevelandry and trvlgirlmq - go to Alaska! Seriously! It's amazing! :) One of the best cruises ever! We went the last cruise of the season, beginning of September, and it wasn't that cold. We only wore our "big" coats one day. We went to Fairbanks last March - now that was cold! :)

yeah, their British Isles prices are nuts. We booked our 12-night with Princess and saved thousands. You'll enjoy the Canary Islands. We went to Tenerife and a tour of the island and lunch and it was just gorgeous. If you stop at Gibraltar, watch those monkeys. We saw one jump off a roof to take an ice cream out of a kid's hands. He wasn't hurt, just scared, but they warn you NOT to eat food in the open. We didn't even open our water bottles around the, otherwise they just stayed on the side and didn't bother you. So amazing to see the mothers and babies though.

We did an excursion to Atlantis through DCL -- so no info about Carnival's. But we loved the area, spent the day walking around and got a tour of the hotel and aquarium. We brought snacks as the restaurant pictured above was very pricey for lunch. We could not find anything like a snack bar or anything simple, but it really was a great day and the grounds are amazing. Be sure to check out the stingray and turtle pools and waterfall.

Well, we bit the bullet and are trying RCCL. I know this is the Carnival page but figured you’d all appreciate info on other cruiselines. We’re booked for 6/6/19 on Anthem if the Seas for a 9 night Bermuda and Caribbean out of Cape Liberty, NJ. We originally booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for 5 of us, but then I found this “family suite”
3DFBB8D2-543F-449D-86A8-B238F184A94F.jpeg
It’s a cluster of 3 separate rooms with a common vestibule entrance off the main hallway. My son will have the studio with his own bathroom on the left, it has the virtual balcony. My daughter and her friend will have the regular balcony cabin on the right, and my wife and I will have the Jr Suite with extended balcony straight ahead. This option was about $2500 more than the 2 connecting balconies. It also means our college age son doesn’t have to share a room with us or our daughter and her friend. I’ve got a lot of research to do on RCCL, because they are a lot different than DCL and CCL. I love the decor of RCCL’s rooms and am really excited to give them a try, I’ll definitely report back here when we return.

Well, we bit the bullet and are trying RCCL. I know this is the Carnival page but figured you’d all appreciate info on other cruiselines. We’re booked for 6/6/19 on Anthem if the Seas for a 9 night Bermuda and Caribbean out of Cape Liberty, NJ. We originally booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for 5 of us, but then I found this “family suite”
View attachment 324172
It’s a cluster of 3 separate rooms with a common vestibule entrance off the main hallway. My son will have the studio with his own bathroom on the left, it has the virtual balcony. My daughter and her friend will have the regular balcony cabin on the right, and my wife and I will have the Jr Suite with extended balcony straight ahead. This option was about $2500 more than the 2 connecting balconies. It also means our college age son doesn’t have to share a room with us or our daughter and her friend. I’ve got a lot of research to do on RCCL, because they are a lot different than DCL and CCL. I love the decor of RCCL’s rooms and am really excited to give them a try, I’ll definitely report back here when we return.
What a great room set up! And it is great to have all that room for such a long cruise.

View attachment 324172

This ship sounds amazing. I was sad to cancel my booking because I was so excited for it. Spend a lot of time in the solarium for me please. ;)

Great suite by the way! Did not know they even existed (probably because I usually book for 2).

Can't wait to read your review.

View attachment 324172

This is an awesome room set up. I've never seen anything like it. Good research. Have a great time.

I love the decor of RCCL’s rooms and am really excited to give them a try, I’ll definitely report back here when we return.

We are making the jump to RCCL for a Southern Cruise on Freedom of the Seas in June 2019. I was able to book my family of 3 in an Oceanview Panoramic room and just happened to get the corner room that has 5 windows instead of the normal 2 and has over 280 sq ft. I am not sure I will be able to go back to my 9b on DCL after having this room while viewing the blue waters in the Southern Caribbean. Not to mention that this 7 day Southern is only $3K in JUNE! Sailing on the Wonder in January would be just as much for a much lesser room.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...amic-ocean-view-stateroom-freedom-of-the-seas
FotS 1864.jpg

We are making the jump to RCCL for a Southern Cruise on Freedom of the Seas in June 2019. I was able to book my family of 3 in an Oceanview Panoramic room and just happened to get the corner room that has 5 windows instead of the normal 2 and has over 280 sq ft. I am not sure I will be able to go back to my 9b on DCL after having this room while viewing the blue waters in the Southern Caribbean. Not to mention that this 7 day Southern is only $3K in JUNE! Sailing on the Wonder in January would be just as much for a much lesser room.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...amic-ocean-view-stateroom-freedom-of-the-seas
View attachment 324468
amazing!

View attachment 324468

Those are simply amazing. Would love to try one of these.

I wonder how much is the price difference for a panoramic view cabin VS a balcony cabin?

I wonder how much is the price difference for a panoramic view cabin VS a balcony cabin?

On my cruise (June 9, 2019) my Ocean View Panoramic is $2,964 for 2 adults and 1 child (age 11). I just priced the lowest category balcony and it is $3,500. The OV Pano is also not the most expensive in the OV category. There are still spacious family OV rooms that are more expensive.

No brainer for me on cabin choice. As much as I would love the fresh air, this cabin will allow me to have better views while inside in the AC. I will be able to get ready for dinner after a full day of being in the heat and not miss any of the scenery. This cruise can not come soon enough.

On my cruise (June 9, 2019) my Ocean View Panoramic is $2,964 for 2 adults and 1 child (age 11). I just priced the lowest category balcony and it is $3,500. The OV Pano is also not the most expensive in the OV category. There are still spacious family OV rooms that are more expensive.

No brainer for me on cabin choice. As much as I would love the fresh air, this cabin will allow me to have better views while inside in the AC. I will be able to get ready for dinner after a full day of being in the heat and not miss any of the scenery. This cruise can not come soon enough.

Wow. That's a great value! :D As you said... No brainer!

View attachment 324468
That is a fantastic looking room! I’m anxious to hear about it when you get back.

View attachment 324468

WOW -- on both room and price! :thumbsup2

Does anybody know if any details about how the guy fell off Paradise this week? The whole thing sounded very strange. Not sure why Carnival seems to have more people go overboard than the other lines.

Does anybody know if any details about how the guy fell off Paradise this week? The whole thing sounded very strange. Not sure why Carnival seems to have more people go overboard than the other lines.
Haven’t heard anything about it at all, didn’t even know it happened. They probably have more incidents because that have more ships and passengers than any other cruise line. Kind of like the same way there are more Chevy’s involved in traffic accidents than Volvo’s.

I won't sugarcoat this: One does not simply "fall" from cruiseships. They jump.

(They have cameras everywhere and rarely do we hear about those missing people being pushed off the cruise ships and resulting in murder investigations)...

Suicide is very very sad ...

...and IMO the choice of cruise lines have nothing to do with it. It would be like blaming a rope company for people commiting suicide by hanging.

I am in talk with my lady friends to book a short DCL cruise in December 2020 (with a MVMCP party the day before, a Little Mermaid room. Yep we are looking for a Disney overdose).

One of them nearly choked when I told her the price tag. We talked about the Disney Dream because she's a Beauty & the Beast fan.

Let's just say it's going to take A LOT of efforts in the next 2 years to afford this one.

The bill per person is not going to be lower because we'll be three adults in 1 cabin, right?

Sharing a queen bed will be fun. Lol

The third person in a cabin is at a reduced price, even if it is an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts