CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Life goes on. )

Been waiting on Carnival Mardi Gras news...

Still interested in the Southern Caribbean cruises and Bermuda cruises for Fall 2020 but I'm waiting for promos.

News: According to John Heald, by mid-January, there will be a charge for all the items for room service. Item will go from 2 to 6$.

Continental breakfast is still free of charge.

image.png

Last edited:

Continental breakfast will still be free.

We use it for lunch sometimes after excursions since the buffet often isn't open. Or we don't want to go all that way from the room. It's annoying. I know we'll manage, we did on RCL when they started charging too.

I didn't catch the info regarding breakfast. EDIT: You are correct. Continental breakfast is still included.

Last edited:
So... What does 2019 look like for you?

DH and I are hoping that we both keep our jobs this year (uncertainty on both sides). Our two 2019 cruises are already both PIF, though. *Phew!* ...

The first one on Carnival, the second one on Royal Caribbean as a "Test Cruise".

As much as we like CCL, we are very excited to try RCCL. It's nice to try something new once in a while! :)

Hi all, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday & new year!

We are officially into 2019, which means our 1st DCL in September! I started looking at flights into London today... :faint: they still seem so expensive! Forgot how much I dislike booking flights, between that and looking at hotels to stay in before we sail, my "uber-planner" gift/curse is kicking in for sure.

Something ridiculous I found out: so our closest airport is Rochester, NY. I wish we could fly out of JFK, but its over 5 hours away and the drive/time/parking/hassle vs. money savings doesn't really make sense. Every flight connects in JFK anyway.

So booking Rochester - London Heathrow: a little over $3000 for 2 people roundtrip (connects in JFK)
But booking Rochester - JFK and JFK - London Heathrow: $2300 for 2 people roundtrip

They are LITERALLY the same flights, just broken into 2 separate bookings. Just goes to show I have no idea how airlines work. :laughing: All I know is this is definitely not our typical fly nonstop to Florida, hop on a ship, Caribbean cruise! :rotfl:

DH and I are hoping that we both keep our jobs this year (uncertainty on both sides). Our two 2019 cruises are already both PIF, though. *Phew!* ...

The first one on Carnival, the second one on Royal Caribbean as a "Test Cruise".

As much as we like CCL, we are very excited to try RCCL. It's nice to try something new once in a while! :)
We have Vista booked for June and that’s it at this point. Looking forward to being on Vista again and really looking forward to Roatan and Belize. In Roatan we’re going to the sloth sanctuary, so excited to hold one.

We are officially into 2019, which means our 1st DCL in September! I started looking at flights into London today... :faint: they still seem so expensive! Forgot how much I dislike booking flights, between that and looking at hotels to stay in before we sail, my "uber-planner" gift/curse is kicking in for sure.

Something ridiculous I found out: so our closest airport is Rochester, NY. I wish we could fly out of JFK, but its over 5 hours away and the drive/time/parking/hassle vs. money savings doesn't really make sense. Every flight connects in JFK anyway.

So booking Rochester - London Heathrow: a little over $3000 for 2 people roundtrip (connects in JFK)
But booking Rochester - JFK and JFK - London Heathrow: $2300 for 2 people roundtrip

They are LITERALLY the same flights, just broken into 2 separate bookings. Just goes to show I have no idea how airlines work. :laughing: All I know is this is definitely not our typical fly nonstop to Florida, hop on a ship, Caribbean cruise! :rotfl:

I liked a FB page named "Flytrippers". I think they have a page for every big town in America and they look for the best deals to go anywhere in the world and post them every day (I suspect they have spreadsheets with best value for each destination) I see deals for London all the time. I recommend it.

We have not done the Vista class yet and I’ve heard so many mixed things. Yes, they’re different from previous ships, but is that realllllyyy a bad thing? I think it’s a good excuse to try one for ourselves! And by the time we book one, the Panorama and possibly Mardi Gras will be out so prices for the Vista/Horizon will have come down a a bit :thumbsup2

We have not done the Vista class yet and I’ve heard so many mixed things. Yes, they’re different from previous ships, but is that realllllyyy a bad thing? I think it’s a good excuse to try one for ourselves! And by the time we book one, the Panorama and possibly Mardi Gras will be out so prices for the Vista/Horizon will have come down a a bit :thumbsup2

I love the Vista class and the Triumph class. Not a fan of the smaller ship but some love it.

I can't wait to hear about Mardi Gras.

Looks like our only trip will be France at the end of May. My mom and I had planned to do another adult trip in the Fall but she just learned yesterday that she will be losing her job in June.

I am the Queen of crazy airfare. We tend to drive the 4 1/2 hours to Atlanta all the time because even with gas, parking, hotel we still come out cheaper than flying from home. I check all the surrounding airports and set up fare alerts for them on Kayak.

You should check out Buffalo too. Also, if you can fly in/out a day apart you can book those separate tickets to save money.

Also, London has the highest departure tax of all the European airports.

Looks like our only trip will be France at the end of May. My mom and I had planned to do another adult trip in the Fall but she just learned yesterday that she will be losing her job in June.

Awwww. That sucks. I'm very sorry to hear that. :sad2:

I hope she'll find something else right away and that you'll be able to do another trip soon after that. *Sending pixie dust her way*

Just the CCL to Cuba in June. Although a group of friends and I are waiting for the Mardi Gras- we’re planning a girls trip, but my hubs keeps hearing stuff about that ship and I don’t think he’d be happy being left behind (roller coaster ??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!