CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my wish came true. Our governor just announced no more school for the rest of the year. He just said they don't know what will happen in the Fall, but they are asking teachers to make plans in case we have to continue online learning next year, Yikes!!! We are so lucky that our school system has used Chromebooks for years, so my dd already knew how to do her assignments. The school gives them their own Chromebook to use and Spectrum has been providing free service to families who can't afford it. My heart breaks for the children and their families who are in schools that are unable to provide these services. And now I need to yell at dd to stop snapchatting with her friends and to finish her schoolwork, sigh!!

Hdrolfe--I also look forward to your MSC review
I've seen their commercials, but don't know anything about them.

This is an interview on CNBC with the Carnival CEO from April 14 if anyone is interested. I like this guy he makes me want to take a Carnival cruise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...ce-begins-looking-a-specifics/?outputType=ampAn article about what’s going on in Florida to reopen. I thought some of you like myself that may have to settle for WDW other than a cruise this Summer might be interested.

I thought the governors comment about how if we can fight over toilet paper at Costco we should be able to eat in a restaurant safely to be spot on. He should have also brought up standing in line for two hours for toilet paper vs standing in line for a ride.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...ce-begins-looking-a-specifics/?outputType=ampAn article about what’s going on in Florida to reopen. I thought some of you like myself that may have to settle for WDW other than a cruise this Summer might be interested.

I thought the governors comment about how if we can fight over toilet paper at Costco we should be able to eat in a restaurant safely to be spot on. He should have also brought up standing in line for two hours for toilet paper vs standing in line for a ride.
We spent all weekend planning our back up WDW vacation for late June/early July. Our cruise is 9 nights and we were planning on a few days at WDW anyway. We now have a great 13 day WDW vacation planned. I can honestly say, if the cruise doesn’t happen, I won’t be disappointed, we have an amazing land trip planned at this point. We just need to do some research on Universal Studios, we’ve got 2 days planned to go there.

We spent all weekend planning our back up WDW vacation for late June/early July. Our cruise is 9 nights and we were planning on a few days at WDW anyway. We now have a great 13 day WDW vacation planned. I can honestly say, if the cruise doesn’t happen, I won’t be disappointed, we have an amazing land trip planned at this point. We just need to do some research on Universal Studios, we’ve got 2 days planned to go there.

Two days at Universal is perfect IMO. Although, I haven't done Volcano Bay yet (and it looks awesome!) so I don't know if that would change things. If you or anyone going is a Harry Potter fan, definitely get the park to park ticket so you can ride the Hogwarts express. Plus, it's just another way to travel between parks besides going through City Walk. Overall, I obviously prefer Disney, but Universal is a great time and offers a few more thrills.

Thanks for posting. Glad he brought up the info about getting noro on a ship vs landbase. I always get irritated when someone who has never cruised says that cruise ships are floating petri dishes. People who say that should see how much cleaning is done on the ships.

And they should check CDC inspection reports to see how strict they are about it.

I think social distancing at Disney World is mostly manageable: Control crowds. Put soap or Purell at the entrance of each ride. Put dots on the floor in the waiting lines (like they do in grocery stores) to reinforce social distancing. Take one minute between all « rides » to have cast members wipe all handles, seats and seat belts. Sell Mickey face masks... Problem solved.

I’d be more worried about Fireworks and the parades (unless they start booking « spots ») but other than that, it would be fine.

I’m 100% sure cruise lines can manage that too.

Last edited:

I can help a little bit with that (Universal) if you have questions.

Two days at Universal is perfect IMO. Although, I haven't done Volcano Bay yet (and it looks awesome!) so I don't know if that would change things. If you or anyone going is a Harry Potter fan, definitely get the park to park ticket so you can ride the Hogwarts express. Plus, it's just another way to travel between parks besides going through City Walk. Overall, I obviously prefer Disney, but Universal is a great time and offers a few more thrills.

Our room had Volcano Bay view when we stayed there in October. It’s soooo pretty! Cabana Bay Beach Resort has the price of a WDW value but I found that the grounds of the hotel have the look of a moderate/deluxe.

I have to be 100% honest here. Disney is very sentimental for me but I like Universal parks and hotels more.

Thanks for the tips, none of us are really HP fans but all of us want to experience that, it’s themed so we’ll. I’m actually kind of excited about it.

Thanks for the tips, none of us are really HP fans but all of us want to experience that, it’s themed so we’ll. I’m actually kind of excited about it.

I love HP and initially I was so bummed to hear Disney wasn't going to handle any theme park dedicated to it. Now, I am beyond happy that they didn't. It doesn't need any Disney theming or Mickey touch. Universal did an amazing job with it and it's awesome just the way it is. I only wish they had the physical space to expand it even more.

Feel free to ask any Universal questions as you plan!

I think social distancing at Disney World is mostly manageable: Control crowds. Put soap or Purell at the entrance of each ride. Put dots on the floor in the waiting lines (like they do in grocery stores) to reinforce social distancing. Take one minute between all « rides » to have cast members wipe all handles, seats and seat belts. Sell Mickey face masks... Problem solved.

I’d be more worried about Fireworks and the parades (unless they start booking « spots ») but other than that, it would be fine.

I’m 100% sure cruise lines can manage that too.
They could make back all their losses selling mickey PPE.

I don't think there's going to be fireworks and parades the first couple of months. I think it will be a different kind of experience when they first open, but I'm OK with that. I plan on upgrading to annual passes anyway. I pushed my April trip back to the first week of July.

DCL hasn't offered the 24-hour cancellation for their August European cruises like other cruise lines are doing. My PIF date is in two weeks I think I'll have to move it to next year. I can't go into the penalty period when there are still travel restrictions in Europe. I figure I can always move it back to this year if things are a go. I'm 99% sure the virus will be gone by August, but I can't predict what governments will do. Cruising has such a black eye right now.

I've got some other ideas for a vacation if it doesn't work out. Maybe a land trip to Europe, or maybe a land trip to Washington DC and the East coast.

They could make back all their losses selling mickey PPE.

I don't think there's going to be fireworks and parades the first couple of months. I think it will be a different kind of experience when they first open, but I'm OK with that. I plan on upgrading to annual passes anyway. I pushed my April trip back to the first week of July.

I trust that Disney will find a way to make sure everyone has fun even if it means making some changes to the experience.

NCL officially announced the cancellation of all their cruises through June 30. I think that makes all the major cruise lines out of the game until at least July. :(

NCL officially announced the cancellation of all their cruises through June 30. I think that makes all the major cruise lines out of the game until at least July. :(
This is why I'm going to reschedule and than rebook if it looks likes our cruise is going to be a go. One thing I'm sure of prices are not going up. It's concerning to me that they haven't offered a discount because there are a lot of empty rooms. I'm guessing if it sails they will offer some good GT rates and I'll end up saving money.
If I was cruising out of Florida I would wait it out, but it's in Europe and I didn't get the cancel for any reason insurance. I paid in full back in February and I thought I'd just buy a comprehensive plan through a third-party site. I never saw this coming. I'm keeping fingers crossed DCL will change cancellation policy in the next two weeks.

Thoughts on the Carnival news?

I appreciate just hearing a plan, even though I know it could change at any time. But seeing actual dates is heartening. I like the fact that not every ship in the fleet will immediately start sailing and that it looks like they are testing every class of ship before going all in.

We had planned on WDW this October, but that is looking less and less likely. DH & I don't know what WDW will actually look like even if they are open and if they open at different capacity levels, the logistics might not be worth it.

So I have my eye on either a Breeze or Horizon sailing over Halloween now that I know they "realistic" options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter