CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carnival Mardi Gras...

View attachment 497739

« Be still, my heart »

I’m THIS CLOSE to book for 2022. I won’t for now (because there are huge (professional) changes coming my way and I need to wait for a few months before I invest in more projects) but... I am in love.

Looks amazing! So much more visually appealing than the current pool set up. And love that it's bigger. I assume this is the Lido pool? I wonder if there is an adult pool as well?

Oh that does look nice, doesn't it? I was thinking of booking it for late 2021 but am hesitant until I know if I will be going this December. It cruises from Port Canaveral too so adding on a few Disney or Universal days would be nice. Ah what to do... I guess keep waiting and watching at this point. My son turns 12 in December 2021 so maybe after that and we can book Havana. Hmm.

Love this idea! We have Alaska booked for 2021, but 2022 sounds super appealing. Especially since we're forgoing WDW this year.

Looks amazing! So much more visually appealing than the current pool set up. And love that it's bigger. I assume this is the Lido pool? I wonder if there is an adult pool as well?

I don't think the newer ships have an adults only pool. It looks like there are two whirlpools on Serenity, and there would be a pool for Havana. The Tides pool in the aft on Dream Class and above is not adults only. But who knows, there seem to be a lot of smaller pools around, one on the top deck, a couple down lower. Not sure what they are for. Maybe one is adults only?

Loft 19 has a pool & cabanas
Waterworks on Deck 18 (water slides etc)
Beach Pool & Tides Pool on Deck 16
Patio Pool & Havana pool on Deck 8

I don't think the newer ships have an adults only pool. It looks like there are two whirlpools on Serenity, and there would be a pool for Havana. The Tides pool in the aft on Dream Class and above is not adults only. But who knows, there seem to be a lot of smaller pools around, one on the top deck, a couple down lower. Not sure what they are for. Maybe one is adults only?

Why oh why can't Carnival put an adult pool in the Serenity area?! It just seems like a given, but yet there are always only hot tubs. Love me a hot tub, but sometimes I want a pool! It's hot in the Caribbean! And I'm not going to constantly trek back and forth from the aft pool to the Serenity deck. That's one thing I really liked about the Disney Dream. It has that waterfall/wading pool/fountain that was a great addition to the adult area. If you can't do a full size pool, some kind of similar water feature would be much appreciated.

Why oh why can't Carnival put an adult pool in the Serenity area?! It just seems like a given, but yet there are always only hot tubs. Love me a hot tub, but sometimes I want a pool! It's hot in the Caribbean! And I'm not going to constantly trek back and forth from the aft pool to the Serenity deck. That's one thing I really liked about the Disney Dream. It has that waterfall/wading pool/fountain that was a great addition to the adult area. If you can't do a full size pool, some kind of similar water feature would be much appreciated.

I still travel with my son so wouldn't use an adult only pool, but I can certainly appreciate that there are adults who would like one! My kid is pretty good and not too splashy in pools but I know now all kids are. I'm not sure what the patio pool on deck 8 is for, it looks like a cool location right at the back of the ship... maybe it will be adult only? I'll end up at the waterworks/water slides all the time any way... at least until he's older and doesn't want to spend all his time with me ;)

I’m sorry to report that the Government of Canada has decided to forbid all cruise ships from docking in Canada for 2020. :(

Love this idea! We have Alaska booked for 2021, but 2022 sounds super appealing. Especially since we're forgoing WDW this year.

I think there will be one and/or an Havana pool. I’ve seen a picture of an aft pool but I’m not sure what this is.

The Sunshine does have an adult only pool in the Serenity section.

Mardi Gras doesn’t have a pool in Havana, only 1 hot tub on the far side. Carnival really screwed up Havana on this class of ship, it’s in the front now and only has 1 hot tub, it’s a far cry from Vista class. It’s a huge bummer because Mardi Gras actually has connecting cabins which Vista doesn’t.

Mardi Gras doesn’t have a pool in Havana, only 1 hot tub on the far side. Carnival really screwed up Havana on this class of ship, it’s in the front now and only has 1 hot tub, it’s a far cry from Vista class. It’s a huge bummer because Mardi Gras actually has connecting cabins which Vista doesn’t.

Interesting, I thought the deck plan showed a pool, albeit a seemingly small one

That’s what I thought too, then at some point it was changed to a hot tub. Now you’ve got me second guessing myself. We ended up not booking Havana specifically because of the lack of pool. Maybe it’s time to do more research.
Symphony of the Seas has a 'pool' in their adult only section. That 'pool' is really a cold hot tub. There is no swimming in it, you couldn't, but there is loads of space to sit. People are more than pleased with this 'pool' but it's really not a pool at all, at least not a swimming pool. Maybe that's what that 'pool' actually is, a cool sitting area. :confused3

Symphony of the Seas has a 'pool' in their adult only section. That 'pool' is really a cold hot tub. There is no swimming in it, you couldn't, but there is loads of space to sit. People are more than pleased with this 'pool' but it's really not a pool at all, at least not a swimming pool. Maybe that's what that 'pool' actually is, a cool sitting area. :confused3

Interesting, so maybe like more like the water feature on the Dream. Enough to get your feet wet and cool off, but not enough for full on swimming. I'd be fine with that. Hot tubs are great, but please just throw a pool up there! :rotfl:

Interesting, so maybe like more like the water feature on the Dream. Enough to get your feet wet and cool off, but not enough for full on swimming. I'd be fine with that. Hot tubs are great, but please just throw a pool up there! :rotfl:
Not quite the Dreams water feature but similar. Where the seating is in the center on the Dream it would be on the wall side of the Dreams water feature. Hope you can picture that, not sure how to explain it clearly. Also the water on the Dreams is at best knee deep but the water on the Symphony is waist deep. Symphony pool.jpg

As you can see, while they call it a pool it doesn't quite make it. Lol.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Since none of us can sail right now...

Has anyone started baking their own favorite dishes from cruise lines?

I’ve done the Chocolate Souffle from Palo last week-end... It was absolutely AMAZING!

F16B86B7-41F8-4B9E-900B-3839DC30373A.jpeg

(Recipe here: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...e-disney-cruise-lines-palo-chocolate-souffle/)

So now... Next week-end, I want to bake a Grand Marnier Souffle... :P

... And the week-end after that: the Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake! :D

With NCL releasing their safety measures to return to cruising, I am becoming more hopeful that I'll be able to go in December. Provided I can cross the border and all that. And they didn't include masks on the list... I am hoping that was not an oversight and they won't be needed. Though I do also recognize the ports may require them.

I am a little concerned about excursions though. We are going to Ocho Rios, mostly because I must climb Dunn's, which you have to hold hands to do. Not sure that will be able to happen. So we may need to book another cruise there for another time. I went there with my parents close to 30 years ago and didn't climb... it's a regret and I have to do it!

The convention I was supposed to go to in April which was moved to end of August was just cancelled. Another bummer in the suckfest that is 2020. I now have nonrefundable airfare to Chicago. I'm unsure if flying will be safe enough in a couple of months to warrant me still going but for leisure only. I won't cancel until closer to the date just to see how the summer plays out.

With NCL releasing their safety measures to return to cruising, I am becoming more hopeful that I'll be able to go in December. Provided I can cross the border and all that. And they didn't include masks on the list... I am hoping that was not an oversight and they won't be needed. Though I do also recognize the ports may require them.

I am a little concerned about excursions though. We are going to Ocho Rios, mostly because I must climb Dunn's, which you have to hold hands to do. Not sure that will be able to happen. So we may need to book another cruise there for another time. I went there with my parents close to 30 years ago and didn't climb... it's a regret and I have to do it!
I don't think I would want to cruise with the measures they have put in place. I don't want to spend my vacation having my temperature checked a million times a day and I sure don't want to miss out on trivia, shows, etc because there is a capacity limit and I miss the cut. I would rather not vacation than have a diminished experience.

I don't think I would want to cruise with the measures they have put in place. I don't want to spend my vacation having my temperature checked a million times a day and I sure don't want to miss out on trivia, shows, etc because there is a capacity limit and I miss the cut. I would rather not vacation than have a diminished experience.

I think the temperature checks will be needed for flying as well, and I believe are in place in some countries for all kinds of things. It's pretty instant though, a scan of your head. As for the other stuff, I believe most of the crusies will be sailing at 30-50% capactity, NCL has said they need 30% to break even, so getting a spot may not be as much of a problem with the reduced capacity. However, we don't do trivia and the only shows I've been to were pretty quiet (except the skating show we went to on RCL, that was packed). As long as we can take advantage of the pool/water slides, kiddo won't have a problem with it. Being served on buffet instead of picking it our yourself will be an adjustment I guess? Especially for my shy kid. I am anxious to see what happens in August when (if?) they start up again, see what the reviews are like, before I make a final decision. But this does make me hopeful we'll be able to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!