CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my PIF dates was swiftly approaching, I called Carnival to see what my options were. I could cancel and lost my $100 deposit or move it and not lose anything, or pay any more fees, so I moved the 6-night to be with my 8-night and we'll have a back to back on the Horizon in April 2023... I swear, if things aren't cruising by then I will have bigger issues than my cruise not going. Phew, it's kind of a relief. She was even able to get the same cabin for me so we won't have to switch! Just realizing we'll be in Family Harbour and kiddo will be 13 I think. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be a good choice, the Lounge area with the breakfast and games and stuff should be fun. He'll be a teen. Man... seems like so far away yet I know it's really not.

As my PIF dates was swiftly approaching, I called Carnival to see what my options were. I could cancel and lost my $100 deposit or move it and not lose anything, or pay any more fees, so I moved the 6-night to be with my 8-night and we'll have a back to back on the Horizon in April 2023... I swear, if things aren't cruising by then I will have bigger issues than my cruise not going. Phew, it's kind of a relief. She was even able to get the same cabin for me so we won't have to switch! Just realizing we'll be in Family Harbour and kiddo will be 13 I think. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be a good choice, the Lounge area with the breakfast and games and stuff should be fun. He'll be a teen. Man... seems like so far away yet I know it's really not.
You are gonna love that B2B itinerary, it’s really amazing. Are you in one of the cove balconies? I want to try one so bad but family doesn’t want to be that low. I think it would be fantastic to be that close to the water.

You are gonna love that B2B itinerary, it’s really amazing. Are you in one of the cove balconies? I want to try one so bad but family doesn’t want to be that low. I think it would be fantastic to be that close to the water.

We just have an inside but I will be watching prices and upgrades just in case. It's almost 600 days away so I have some time lol. I am excited though, Western followed by ABC. We'll have 6 sea days so I am really hoping we get to try everything. And have BBQ a few times, and maybe every try the steak house one day... I can't wait for a Guys burger and a Blue Iguana breakfast burrito.

We just have an inside but I will be watching prices and upgrades just in case. It's almost 600 days away so I have some time lol. I am excited though, Western followed by ABC. We'll have 6 sea days so I am really hoping we get to try everything. And have BBQ a few times, and maybe every try the steak house one day... I can't wait for a Guys burger and a Blue Iguana breakfast burrito.
We always book insides too, on our last 3 Carnival cruises we were offered upgrades for a pretty decent price but only took advantage of it once. Of course that was the cruise we were supposed to go on last month that was cancelled.

We always book insides too, on our last 3 Carnival cruises we were offered upgrades for a pretty decent price but only took advantage of it once. Of course that was the cruise we were supposed to go on last month that was cancelled.

We do too if it's a "typical" Caribbean cruise, unless I get a good upgrade offer. We booked an Oceanview for our British Isles (the DCL price difference from oceanview to verandah was ridiculous) and a verandah for Alaska, but we're generally fine with an inside.

We had a cove balcony, family harbor, on the Horizon right across from the lounge and asked to be moved due to constant noise above us. They were able to move us a few cabins down and it was much better!

We had a cove balcony, family harbor, on the Horizon right across from the lounge and asked to be moved due to constant noise above us. They were able to move us a few cabins down and it was much better!

I had heard the cove balcony's in family harbor could be noisy which is part of why I chose an inside. I am sad that I wasn't able to get an outside, I had one for this December and I understand they only have a couple so must be hard to come by (for family harbor). I will keep an eye out though, and we'll see if we decide to change from the family harbor later, my kiddo will be 13. I like the idea of being able to grab a snack or breakfast in the lounge.

I had wanted a cove balcony, they look so interesting down so close to the water, I bet you can really see the flying fish and everything from there.

I had heard the cove balcony's in family harbor could be noisy which is part of why I chose an inside. I am sad that I wasn't able to get an outside, I had one for this December and I understand they only have a couple so must be hard to come by (for family harbor). I will keep an eye out though, and we'll see if we decide to change from the family harbor later, my kiddo will be 13. I like the idea of being able to grab a snack or breakfast in the lounge.

I had wanted a cove balcony, they look so interesting down so close to the water, I bet you can really see the flying fish and everything from there.
Just an FYI because it’s really not known, on Vista class ships there is a smaller breakfast buffet served everyday in Ocean Plaza. Me wife and I eat there all the time because there so few people and they have great outdoor seating on the Promenade deck. We always get coffee and a light breakfast before the kids wake up and then we do the full breakfast a little later. They always have eggs, meat, potatoes, fruit, etc. It’s really a peaceful breakfast compared to up on Lido.

Just an FYI because it’s really not known, on Vista class ships there is a smaller breakfast buffet served everyday in Ocean Plaza. Me wife and I eat there all the time because there so few people and they have great outdoor seating on the Promenade deck. We always get coffee and a light breakfast before the kids wake up and then we do the full breakfast a little later. They always have eggs, meat, potatoes, fruit, etc. It’s really a peaceful breakfast compared to up on Lido.

Oh interesting... I did not know that! Thank you :) I can handle fighting crowds for lunch, but at breakfast... just don't get between me and the bacon ;)

I got an email from NCL this morning notifying me of updates to their travel protection program. It explictly states the plan will cover COVID-19 related cases, including medical expenses, trip interruption and additional expenses such as accommodations. I haven't looked into the cost of the program yet, we generally purchase trip insurance through a third party, but I found it interesting that the cruise line is willing to cover pandemic related costs. I keep hearing no insurance is covering any travel related COVID expenses, so this might be something to consider.

Our sailing isn't until September 2021 so I'm guessing this is showing they REALLY want you to sail when they are up and running again.

I got an email from NCL this morning notifying me of updates to their travel protection program. It explictly states the plan will cover COVID-19 related cases, including medical expenses, trip interruption and additional expenses such as accommodations. I haven't looked into the cost of the program yet, we generally purchase trip insurance through a third party, but I found it interesting that the cruise line is willing to cover pandemic related costs. I keep hearing no insurance is covering any travel related COVID expenses, so this might be something to consider.

Our sailing isn't until September 2021 so I'm guessing this is showing they REALLY want you to sail when they are up and running again.

I haven’t received anything ressembling this from MSC, RCCL or Carnival yet but yeah, I’d probably pay for that.

Hello my friends! How are you doing? What is happening in your area? Do you think your next cruise will happen?

Here, we are experiencing the 2nd wave of COVID-19. There is a press conference in 30 minutes and we are expecting our provincial government will announce that we are going straight back to lockdown (at least partially, essential workers only). I'm pretty bummed. I don't even know if our anniversary "staycation" week-end will happen (in 2 weeks from now)...

Up until a week ago I was pretty confident that my April 2021 cruise would happen. Now, not so much.

@mevelandry we have been staying pretty steady with about 1000 new cases everyday in Tennessee. Our stupid governor has told mayors to drop the mask mandates and they are doing just that. I fear we will be back to rising cases but no more restrictions.

My company has opened our office at 15% capacity on a voluntary basis. That is only about 30 people that can be there each day. I’m holding until the bitter end. I have no desire to go back.

We are leaving for a week at the beach in Florida on Saturday. That governor has opened everything 100%! Plus a cold front is coming and I am anticipating just spending a week in our condo not doing anything. I am so bummed because I really need some sunshine and relaxation.

After reading about the Royal redeployment in Europe I am less sure we will be cruising next summer.

My company has opened our office at 15% capacity on a voluntary basis. That is only about 30 people that can be there each day. I’m holding until the bitter end. I have no desire to go back.

We are leaving for a week at the beach in Florida on Saturday. That governor has opened everything 100%! Plus a cold front is coming and I am anticipating just spending a week in our condo not doing anything. I am so bummed because I really need some sunshine and relaxation.

After reading about the Royal redeployment in Europe I am less sure we will be cruising next summer.

r.e. -bold >>> You do understand that a Florida COLD FRONT is when the temperature drastically dips from 90'sF to low70'sF. :tilt:

@mevelandry we have been staying pretty steady with about 1000 new cases everyday in Tennessee. Our stupid governor has told mayors to drop the mask mandates and they are doing just that. I fear we will be back to rising cases but no more restrictions.

The number of inhabitants in Quebec is similar to Tennessee. Here, masks are mandatory in all public places except when you are seated 2 meters apart. At about 800 new cases per day, we are going into partial lockdown (bars, restaurants —except delivery and take out—, theaters, movie theaters, concert theaters, libraries, are closing...)starting wednesday at midnight in 3 regions including Montreal.

Glad you can work from home. It’s probably safer there anyway.

I hope we can all cruise next summer and travel without worries.

r.e. -bold >>> You do understand that a Florida COLD FRONT is when the temperature drastically dips from 90'sF to low70'sF. :tilt:

I remember swimming in a Walt Disney Pool at 56 degrees. But to my defense, I’m a pool maniac. LOL

Well I prefer my beach temperatures to be in the 80’s because I am cold all the time. I can’t swim in really cold water anymore either. It’s just another clusterduck that is this crap year.

Hello my friends! How are you doing? What is happening in your area? Do you think your next cruise will happen?

Here, we are experiencing the 2nd wave of COVID-19. There is a press conference in 30 minutes and we are expecting our provincial government will announce that we are going straight back to lockdown (at least partially, essential workers only). I'm pretty bummed. I don't even know if our anniversary "staycation" week-end will happen (in 2 weeks from now)...

Up until a week ago I was pretty confident that my April 2021 cruise would happen. Now, not so much.

Super bummed this week. We were supposed to be in WDW for Halloween. And instead I'm sitting in my office while it pours rain outside. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers that we will be able to sail to Alaska next year. It's in September, so I have high hopes, and I feel like if we aren't sailing by then, we probably have bigger things to worry about.

DH & I are trying to get to California for Christmas to see my family. We live in NY so we are kind of at the mercy of our state quarantine list, which changes every week. So we could literally get up to the week before we are supposed to fly, California gets put on our quarantine list, and we get screwed. Everything is just so uncertain right now.

But if we do get to Cali AND Disneyland is open, we are absolutely making a trip down. It's a lot of ifs, but I'll be super determined to get there, especially because we've never been. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter