CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I just wanted to take some time to ask how you are all doing.

Did anyone have to cancel plans?

On our side, as time goes by, I’m feeling our chances of doing the trip are pretty slim.

My friends also seem turned off by the idea that WDW/the cruise experience might be drastically changed with the implementation of new sanitary rules.

I’m in a « glass half full » place. I’ve said it many times but I’d cruise in a hazmat suit if I have to. I’d rather have a different cruise than no cruise at all.

Our state is still pretty much on lockdown, although our "PAUSE" act ends on Friday. We are now starting to slowly open up by region (only if the region meets 7 different criteria) and by phase. Because our region currently meets those criteria, we can start Phase 1 reopening, which is mainly construction, manufacturing, landscaping, some retail, etc. I believe things like hair salons and our wineries/breweries (huge part of the local economy) are Phase 2 or 3. I believe each phase lasts at least 2 weeks. So at least it's something!

I have been working from home since March and will continue to do so until at least June 1. DH works in water so is considered essential and still goes in everyday. Good news-our doggy daycare reopens next week and I'm very excited for that. My pup hasn't been alone more than a few hours in months and needs the playtime!

Vacations are just on hold. I am coming to terms with the fact that WDW will most likely not be happening this Fall. Even if it's open, I can't see us going if the experience will be vastly different. I don't know if it will ever be the same, but I know it will eventually get better. So we might just wait for that time. We do have two out of state weddings in September on back-to-back weekends that we will attend as long as they still happen. I do plan on traveling for Christmas as well.

And honestly, I'm very interested to see how Carnival handles their return to cruising, especially if it happens in August. I know they have a lot of eyes on them since they're the only ones that have announced any date of return. I sincerely hope it goes well.

Yes, in Tennessee. I don't know where we stack up by state but my county has the 4th highest number of cases in the entire state and we are lodged between number 1 & 2 so not a good location.

Last month the county north of us was number 1 with the most cases and deaths. The county south of us was number 2 with the most. Thankfully our county is in the middle with the number of cases. We still have new cases each day, but the increase is now slower. Many years ago my dh got out of the Air Force and got a job with Northwest Airlines. We were told he was going to fly out of Memphis. I was so excited to move there and had dreams about Memphis in May. We had our house packed up and were going to leave in a few days when we found out he was being sent to Detroit, MI instead. I was devastated(no offense to anyone who lives in the Detroit area, but I was glad when he got a job with a different airlines and we moved). We met some wonderful people in Michigan. The cost of living was just a lot higher than we had expected. I still get sad we weren't able to move to TN, it's such a pretty state.

I saw an article today about WDW re-opening. It didn't really say much, but did say everyone will have to wear masks. If they open anytime this summer, that is going to be so miserable in the heat and humidity. I feel bad for the cms! Hopefully they will get extra break times and will be able to carry water bottles/cool packs or something! I think the masks is a good idea, but still, in the heat, ugghhh!!!

We’re doing well as far as Covid goes, Arizona is definitely opening back up. My restaurant opens tomorrow and the governor gave the go ahead for gyms and movie theaters to open this week too. The stay at home order expires Friday and they are working with all the school districts to make sure they are opening for the upcoming year.

Our biggest hurdle came today when DCL announced our 6/27 Fantasy Cruise was cancelled. It was a graduation present for our daughter and she’s pretty upset about it. Our plan B is WDW but who knows if that’s going to happen.

If we don’t get to go there I think we’re just going to save the money and put it towards business class airfare for our Greece cruise next year. We’ll probably head to England early and stay there a few days, then take a train to Rome to start the cruise.

I realize these are definitely 1st world problems but it’s still pretty disappointing, she got through graduation being cancelled and really only wanted the cruise. It’s all going to work out in the end but for today, it’s pretty damn disappointing.

Our state is still pretty much on lockdown, although our "PAUSE" act ends on Friday. We are now starting to slowly open up by region (only if the region meets 7 different criteria) and by phase. Because our region currently meets those criteria, we can start Phase 1 reopening, which is mainly construction, manufacturing, landscaping, some retail, etc. I believe things like hair salons and our wineries/breweries (huge part of the local economy) are Phase 2 or 3. I believe each phase lasts at least 2 weeks. So at least it's something!

I have been working from home since March and will continue to do so until at least June 1. DH works in water so is considered essential and still goes in everyday. Good news-our doggy daycare reopens next week and I'm very excited for that. My pup hasn't been alone more than a few hours in months and needs the playtime!

Vacations are just on hold. I am coming to terms with the fact that WDW will most likely not be happening this Fall. Even if it's open, I can't see us going if the experience will be vastly different. I don't know if it will ever be the same, but I know it will eventually get better. So we might just wait for that time. We do have two out of state weddings in September on back-to-back weekends that we will attend as long as they still happen. I do plan on traveling for Christmas as well.

And honestly, I'm very interested to see how Carnival handles their return to cruising, especially if it happens in August. I know they have a lot of eyes on them since they're the only ones that have announced any date of return. I sincerely hope it goes well.

I think checking how Disneyland Shanghai does it will tell us what to expect for WDW. When it reopens and during the months that follow.

I wonder... When Florida reopens, will cruise lines follow?

I saw an article today about WDW re-opening. It didn't really say much, but did say everyone will have to wear masks. If they open anytime this summer, that is going to be so miserable in the heat and humidity. I feel bad for the cms! Hopefully they will get extra break times and will be able to carry water bottles/cool packs or something! I think the masks is a good idea, but still, in the heat, ugghhh!!!

I noticed that Disney was already selling masks so I’m expecting it to become a thing in the parks...

I also heard Royal Caribbean has patented a mask so I’m expecting it on cruises as well, at least for the crew and maybe in crowded places like the theaters.

We’re doing well as far as Covid goes, Arizona is definitely opening back up. My restaurant opens tomorrow and the governor gave the go ahead for gyms and movie theaters to open this week too. The stay at home order expires Friday and they are working with all the school districts to make sure they are opening for the upcoming year.

Our biggest hurdle came today when DCL announced our 6/27 Fantasy Cruise was cancelled. It was a graduation present for our daughter and she’s pretty upset about it. Our plan B is WDW but who knows if that’s going to happen.

If we don’t get to go there I think we’re just going to save the money and put it towards business class airfare for our Greece cruise next year. We’ll probably head to England early and stay there a few days, then take a train to Rome to start the cruise.

I realize these are definitely 1st world problems but it’s still pretty disappointing, she got through graduation being cancelled and really only wanted the cruise. It’s all going to work out in the end but for today, it’s pretty damn disappointing.

I’m so sorry your cruise got cancelled.

Of course, it’s a 1st world problem but for most of us, I believe travelling/cruising is a passion so having to stay away from it is so hard and is just adding up to everything else.

(I’m a little ashamed to admit that I bawled when I saw the video that someone from RCCL posted on Youtube called «Come sail away with Royal».)

Good luck with the reopening. I saw what you will be doing for the restaurant (social distancing)... You got this. :)

So far I still have my plans for December, but am not sure if they will happen or not. Mostly because if we have to fly, travel across the border, it's possible there would be issues with that (two week isolation when we come back?). As well, not sure which ports will be open even then, I know Grand Cayman has closed until September (at least). Not sure if I'd want to have to wear a mask while cruising. I understand if they need to change buffets from self serve and things like that, but a mask would be difficult I think, for a week long trip, how many would you need? You are supposed to change it every 4 hours, or less if it gets "wet". Any way. I'm anxious to see how things go when the cruiselines start back up and see what they do.

I'm working from home, my son is refusing the school work, and our province is going to announce something today about the next step in reopening. I am hoping I'll be able to see my parents again soon. I'm not sure I want my son going back to school if they do open before September. Another first world problem, I'd really like to get a haircut! But not the end of the world of course. My son did let me cut his so he doesn't look quite so scruffy ;)

Mean time, I am trying to not overeat (stress eater ha ha) and keep up some walking. I am thankful I am able to work from home and still getting paid. And hey, if I have to work from home all summer, I will probably save some vacation days so be able to take a nice time off in the winter.

I saw Old Navy is selling masks also. They come in packs of 5 for only $12.50. They have adult and kid sizes. They are using material left over from the clothes they make, which I think is a great idea. I ordered some for my dd and I, we don't go anywhere now, but thought she may need them once school starts. They ship out first of June. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Club Disney Chandler--good to hear you will be opening up your restaurant soon. I saw on the Today show this morning a restaurant in Virginia is going to put mannequins at empty tables. They had a pic with them all dressed up fancy sitting at the tables as if they were eating. Guess it's to make the social distancing seem not as odd. Sorry about your dd's senior yr ending as it is. Our town put yard signs of congrats in all the senior's yards. First time I saw them I burst out crying, even though I don't know anyone graduating this year. I feel so bad for them.
Tomorrow is the last day my dd will have school work even though their last day of school is May 27. They're giving them the rest of the time to finish any work they haven't done. She's been getting her work done, so now I'm going to need to figure out something for her to do. If I leave it up to her she will watch TV and play computer games all day long. It's going to be a lonnnngggg summer!!

Last edited:
Hypothetical question: if both the Disney parks and cruises (whatever line you want!) were back up and running to some extent this year, and you had to choose one, which would you feel more comfortable doing?

Just curious to see opinions and thoughts!

Hypothetical question: if both the Disney parks and cruises (whatever line you want!) were back up and running to some extent this year, and you had to choose one, which would you feel more comfortable doing?

I would pick a cruise, but that's only because I have no desire to go to the parks(even before the virus I felt this way.) I know a lot of people don't want to go on a cruise because they are afraid of being quarantined to their cabin. If we were to be on a vacation and had to be quarantined, I'd rather be in my cabin with the peaceful ocean than stuck in a hotel room. Plus on a cruise you're with the same large group of people, so it might be easier to know if someone comes down sick. At the parks, there will be a lot more different people every day. I think it would be a lot harder to track if someone becomes ill. On the ships if you miss a meal the cms will ask about you(I often miss at least one night because of seasickness). At the parks, no one will know or frankly care like on the ships. I haven't been to the parks in a really long time, and although I remember them being nice and clean. I don't remember them as clean as the ships.

The cruise. We are still contemplating our booked October cruise and figure we hang on our balcony and just relax and read or nap. We can go get food at off times and still be distanced from people.

100% a cruise. Let’s just say that the ship you’re on is sailing at half capacity with 2000 guests.

On that ship, you‘ll cross paths with those same 2000 guests for a whole week.

In the parks... Let’s say that each park accepts 2000 guests. By the end of the week, you could have been exposed to 8000 guests... Probably more because guests can come and go at pretty much any time.

On top of that, most of the guests will be kids, kids are not as good as adults with the proper use of a mask and with social distancing.

Ok, now I’m not so sure I wanna go to WDW anymore. LOL

I don’t know if it will happen or not but we just booked Carnival Horizon for a 6 night Western out of Miami, for 8/2. It’s the same itinerary that we did on Vista in 2017 but I’m totally ok with that, I just want to be on a ship. Hopefully it all works out and we’ll be able to do it. It’s only the 2nd week back in school for my wife but she’s taking the week off.

I don’t know if it will happen or not but we just booked Carnival Horizon for a 6 night Western out of Miami, for 8/2. It’s the same itinerary that we did on Vista in 2017 but I’m totally ok with that, I just want to be on a ship. Hopefully it all works out and we’ll be able to do it. It’s only the 2nd week back in school for my wife but she’s taking the week off.

Exciting! I really hope you get to sail! Both because I want everyone to be able to enjoy a vacation in the near future and I'm selfish and want to hear about your experience. Especially right at the beginning of cruising "round 2!" :goodvibes

I have that ship/itinerary booked for December, so I will be looking for a report (provided you get to go). I do hope you get to go and it is a great time.

We had never cruise before and ended up booking three cruises this year: spring break - 10 day Panama Canal with HAL, 7 day Alaska DCL, and 6 day Caribbean DCL over New Years. The first two were cancelled by the cruise lines and we opted to cancel our New Years cruise as well.

So I only have customer service and refund issues to go off but I will not ever sail Holland America. They have strung me (and many others) along with our refunds. Initially told 5-10 days then when I called back, same story for another 5-10 days, then 60. It's been 75 days. We have called again and they said it should be soon. I'm not holding my breath. I just started a dispute with my CC company. Because of that they'll never have us as customers. DCL has been truthful with great service, so even though they are much more $$ than other lines I will only book with them in the future.

And that is how you get customers, HAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!