Carousel of Progress Rumors

Moewhite

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know of any rumored upcoming plans for The Carousel of Progress? I'm always anxious that they'll do away with it (if they tried that I'd chain myself to the building). I've heard of planned updates for the final Christmas scene, but that never seems to happen. I've also heard a rumor that they will move it to the unused Wonders of Life pavilion in EPCOT, does anyone know anything about that?

I am a HUGE fan of CoP. Every trip we spend at MK, we ride this multiple times, my family loves it too.
That all being said, I simply see no way WDW pays to move this ride. I get why some feel it may fit in Epcot, although not sure it does anymore with GotG now. But the cost to move this would be in the Millions, and simply can't see it being done.

It really needs a complete update. It’s silly that the first three scenes are about 10 years apart, and the last 50 years later.

I’d like to see them update all the scenes so that it’s more like Horizons - set in the future showing how family life can adapt to different environments - under the sea, on a space station, even on another planet.

It really needs a complete update. It’s silly that the first three scenes are about 10 years apart, and the last 50 years later.

I’d like to see them update all the scenes so that it’s more like Horizons - set in the future showing how family life can adapt to different environments - under the sea, on a space station, even on another planet.

Actually its about 1904, 1920's, 1940's, 1980's so not quite accurate on your part.
If it was completely updated it really wouldn't have the same impact.
If you want Horizons then why n ot push for Horizons to come back vs making COP Horizons?

I don't think they would get rid of it, but it does need some upgrades and maybe a complete change to some of the scenes. I mean, I love the first three scenes as they are anyway, but really, it's time to change them. Start in the early 20th century, jump to the mid 20th, then right around 2000, then end in the not-too-distant future. Of course, it may be hard to cover everything that way, so I don't know. I'm sure some Imagineer out there has ideas.

I don't think they would get rid of it, but it does need some upgrades and maybe a complete change to some of the scenes. I mean, I love the first three scenes as they are anyway, but really, it's time to change them. Start in the early 20th century, jump to the mid 20th, then right around 2000, then end in the not-too-distant future. Of course, it may be hard to cover everything that way, so I don't know. I'm sure some Imagineer out there has ideas.
I think that is a decent idea. But if they keep the first 3 scenes, I wish they would make the last scene in the mid-90s, PC at home starting the internet. I don't like the jump from 1940s to cheesy future scene.

I think they should keep it all the way it is.

The first three scenes show the evolution of 20th century home technology very nicely. And, really, once you get past the 40s, home technology didn't change that much at all until the introduction of smart devices (microwave ovens came into the kitchen, but that's about it).

The final scene shows the arrival of smart devices in the home, which is, by far, the biggest change in home technology from the 1940s. PCs and the internet really don't fit the theme of technology and the home. Remember, the setting for the show is the kitchen! (Final scene shows a more modern open floor plan, but you wouldn't see that home design prior to the 90s I would guess).

I think having the 80s fashion and video game graphics is cute. I guess they could put in modern computer game graphics, and change the families outfits and hair to make them modern. But, I would rather they left it as is.

Hopefully they will never remove COP but you never know. I never thought they would get rid of Great Movie Ride and that was a classic that MANY people loved. I know a few didn't like it but every time we went to Disney it had a 30+ wait to get in and we go at a slow time (last week in August). If Disney starts removing all their classic rides, we will lose interest in visiting. Not everyone loves Star Wars and Cars etc.

I think they should keep it all the way it is.

The first three scenes show the evolution of 20th century home technology very nicely. And, really, once you get past the 40s, home technology didn't change that much at all until the introduction of smart devices (microwave ovens came into the kitchen, but that's about it).

The final scene shows the arrival of smart devices in the home, which is, by far, the biggest change in home technology from the 1940s. PCs and the internet really don't fit the theme of technology and the home. Remember, the setting for the show is the kitchen! (Final scene shows a more modern open floor plan, but you wouldn't see that home design prior to the 90s I would guess).

I think having the 80s fashion and video game graphics is cute. I guess they could put in modern computer game graphics, and change the families outfits and hair to make them modern. But, I would rather they left it as is.

Actually, the final scene isn't too bad as today. VR and voice-activation is really just coming into prominence. It would work, but they need to change a few details, like the reference to a car phone. Change that to smart phone and you're all set. If they just tweaked a few things it would work ok.

What they really need to do though is figure out how to do an extra scene. I don't know how it would be possible though.

Couldn't they eliminate the first/last "slice" of the carousel? The transition for loading/unloading would be tricky, but think it could be done.

Actually, you're right. There are 6 stages, one for load and one for unload. There's no reason that couldn't be truncated so that people enter on one side and exit on the other in the same slice. Interesting thought.

Couldn't they eliminate the first/last "slice" of the carousel? The transition for loading/unloading would be tricky, but think it could be done.

yeah, not sure how practical it would be / how challenging to make that update work but I have seen it mentioned before to make the entry scene also the last scene - so it has the curtain for when you load and then for the last scene the curtain would go up and would be a set with animatronics, etc. - then would have to exit and next group enters after curtain goes down ... so flow of people wouldn't be as efficient but could be done I think

I'm in the 'leave it as-is' camp. IMO, it's perfect the way it is.

I don't think it needs any major changes. Would be nice if it just got a refresh to all the scenes - makes sure the animatronics are in tip top shape, and do think that last scene could use some updating

my kids still request we do it every trip and they are pretty young (oldest just turned 10) so at least some kids do like it!

My kids kind of enjoy it. For them, it isn't as enjoyable as Space Mountain or BTMRR. But they never complain when I suggest we go to CoP. Now, Hall of Presidents is another story. They aren't too happy about that.
I am all for maintenance and cleaning, but I don't think it needs major changes.

We love COP but wouldn't object to some sort of update.

I always assumed the 6th "slice" has mechanicals for the other 5 scenes and can't be used for a new time frame for the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter