Carrying EPI PEN @ parks

Sami

Mouseketeer
we are traveling to WDW in July. I know it's very hot. Will the EPIPEN be damaged by the heat if it's in a fanny pack. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had a problem...DD, 7, is allergic to all nuts and bees and with 2 epinephrine shots under her belt, she's a freak :)

I always carry 2 per doctor orders..sometimes you don't give the full dose, etc that first injection...Also keep Benadryl meltaway tablets ...

Usually keep them in a fanny pack with me..Yeah it's a drag, but I'd rather be safe then sorry :)

thanks for your input, the Benadryl meltaways are a great idea, I'll pick some up today. Thank you.:)

here's a news release from the company that makes Epipens. It's about changing their packaging to be more user friendly, rather than about storage. It just says to store at room temperature, away from sun, not refigerate or freeze or store in places like the car glove compartment (which would become much hotter than room temperature).

I have a different question abuot epipens: can you carry them on board your plane? I have had two anaphylactoid reactions in the last 2 months and I would'nt want to be in the air, having a reaction and not have my epipen. (We're still trying to pinpoint exactly what is causing it)

I asked my daughter's allergist about carrying the EPIPEN on an airplane. He gave me a letter signed by him that says it is necessary for her to have it at all times as this is a life threatening condition.
We have only flew once since getting the EPIPEN. I told the screeners at the airport before my purse was to be screened. They never asked for the letter but I will still bring it just in case.

I can't look right now, but things like epipens are addressed by the Transportation Safety Administration (go to www.tsa.gov ) and look for the links having to do with disabilities. They say it's OK - I think it says it must be labeled.

I have flown 8 times with epi-pens in my purse with not a glance at them ANY time...Never a question, etc...

I don't carry a doctor's note...however, i do have the pharmacy label each "tube" separately as I don't carry them in the 2 pack cardboard package they come in..

I don't carry an Epipen, but I do have syringes and insulin. I make sure I always have the note from my doctor for the plane, as well as in the park, in case someone needs to see it. So far, no problems!

Jen

We just returned from our first plane trip since William was born. William is a type 1 diabetic and allergic to peanuts/nuts and wears a pump and we had zero trouble with carrying epipens, syringes, glucagon, lancets, etc. on board. We kept them with us in a carry-on and they are screened through the machine as usual but they never looked inside the case.

William was "wanded" both times because his pump set off the alarm you walk through but the screener understood it was the pump. They did wand his legs/arms, etc. but he thought it was all rather amusing and they were very good with him.

No problems entering the parks with these items either. We did not carry William's epipens in any sort of cooler or cooling bag. We kept them in a sling pack and they seemed fine.

Have fun!

We carry epipen and epipen jr for two of our dds (severe allergy to insects, bees, hornets, wasps, etc.).

They react so quickly that we have to have the pens practically in hand, its so stressful. We found great little plastic holders (belt clip type) at either Walgreens or CVS, can't remember and they are designed specifically to hold the epipens. Think they were like 4 bucks or so and just made life easier for us, maybe its psychological but we feel better with it so close at hand.

We also carry the benadryl meltaways.

One dd got stung in Epcot in 1993 and the experience while extremely stressful was handled so well by Disney in terms of getting us stable and out of the park. They even followed up with us later.

We have never had an issue flying with the epipens, but always carry the original label just in case. We also always carry two per child as someone else said.

I have two DDs with food allergies (one peanuts, the other tree nuts). I echo what other posters have said -- you must have a letter from your doctor stating that you must be allowed to carry the syringes on board an aircraft and they EpiPens must be in packaging that includes a pharmacy label.

I usually put the boxes in my pocketbook for going through airport security, but I transfer the two EpiPens (I always carry two) into a smaller pouch that fits inside my pocketbook/backpack. In the parks, I simply carry the EpiPens, Benadryl and the doctors letters, just in case, but I ditch the bulkier boxes. In fact, before I leave for WDW, I make several photocopies of the doctor's letter and put a copy in each bag I carry and give one to every adult in our party as well.

FYI...I fly out of Newark Airport (in NJ) or JFK (in NYC) and have never been questioned about the EpiPens there, however, I have had to produce the letter in Orlando (MCo) airport.

DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

P.S. When you ask the allergist to provide you with a letter ask them not to date it. This way you can use the same letter for a few trips. With our allergist, it can take up to a week to get the letter after I've requested it, so I don't like to ask too often.

I believe that the government requirement is just a prescription label on the Epi-pen - have flown many times with severely food allergic doctors and was always told that was the only requirement so we've never had a letter nor a problem. Now planes still serving nuts is another issue entirely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter