• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carseat not FAA Approved - where to get another CHEAP?

Ithastobe

Mouseketeer
We leave next week and we decided to take carseats with us for 3 and 4 year old. Thanks to these boards, learned these must be FAA Approved. Had DH check today, and the sticker says they are NOT FAA approved. I am sick!

We have total of 4 carseats (2 in each car), and all the same so that means NONE of them are approved! These are new seats purchased NEW within the past 3 years.

A. Anyone know where to buy a FAA approved seat - and CHEAP!

B. We are thinking to save money, only buying one seat for the 3 year old and maybe letting th 4 year old sit without one.

Any help from anyone who travelled with family/carseat is helpful.

There are a few made by costco that are pretty reasonable. Don't remember the exact name, but I know their high back booster with harness is FAA approved and I got mine at Kmart for about $40. There is also the Touriva--not sure who this is by, either Century, Evenflo, or Costco--it's in the $40 range too, but doesn't convert to a booster.

Are you renting a car? If you are, your 4 year old needs a carseat in FL. If you won't need it in FL, I would feel comfortable having a 4 year old in the airplane w/o the carseat as long as you feel like they'll stay in the seat with their seatbelt on. I travelled several times that way when DD was 4.

Yes, we are renting a car. I just can not believe our seats are not approved! So glad I checked before we lugged them to the airport.

Your dh could be right BUT our carseat fooled the airline reps and nearly fooled me this summer. The sticker said if you used it a certain way it wasn't FAA approved, but if you keep reading it says if you strap it the way we do, it IS FAA approved. They nearly denied the seat, but I showed them the correct info., and it was a go. I worked as an airline ticket agent until Feb. and have checked many car seats. The ones that aren't FAA approved now are few and far between. The moral of the story is for you to carefully read the sticker and double check.

Thanks travelitis, I find it hard to believe the seat is not FAA approved. They are the 5 harness system and we bought them new about 3 years ago. I think it is a Century and they were about $69.00 or so. We'll have to check the sticker again. If you are right, you saved us bunch of money that we'd rather be spending at WDW right now! I'll check the seat again..

We had the same situation as "travelitis" with our century breverra. The sticker is confusing - without the 5 point harness system the seat is not FAA approvied but if you use it with the 5 point harness it is. On a flight to seattle they had the captain come check the seat as the FA's were being unreasonable, long story but we used the seat. Lets hope your DH was tricked as many other of us were.

My seat is in my car right now but I can check after the bus takes my cherubs to school if you like. I am pretty sure that a convertable booster only 3-4 years old wouldn't be FAA approved, I think our oldest breverra is at least 4 years old.

TJ

Thanks tjmw2727, but no need to check. We'll check ours after we drop them off at pre-school. I actually think that we have the Bravada seat too, as that sounds familar.

I tell ya, these boards are a life saver, and you all have been very helpful. Either way, we will be prepared and travelling with little ones on plane for first time, anything in advance we can do to reduce stress is 'a good thing'.

Thank you very much.

Just checking-what does the back of your carseat say? We have a Century seat too with the five point harness about 3 years old and the back says it is approved for automobile and airline use, but nothing specific like "FAA approved". We had no problem using it on any flights (4 total with connections).

Ithastobe - We have a 5 point Century purchased about the same time as yours. The upholstered piece is navy blue on the sides with a wide strip of tan and navy blue - plaid I think. I wonder if you have the same one. I really don't believe you need a new car seat. Seats with 5 point harnesses are OK if you run the seat belt through the stuff in the back and secure the child with the 5 point harness as opposed to securing the child and the seat with the car's or plane's seat belt.

I have Century Brevarra's and have flown with them. They are FAA approved if you use them with the harness. They are not FAA approved if you use them as a booster. No booster is FAA approved.'

Your 3 and 4 year old do not have to fly with a carseat. If they are already so big that you use the seat as boosters, just strap them in as they will not safely fit any carseat that is FAA approved. Then just check your boosters. When you arrive in Florida you will still have your boosters to use.

If you are still using the harnesses on the Breverras you should be fine to take them on the plane. Approved for airline use means they are okay. Check your manual and it should explain things better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter