Carseat v. Harness for Airplane

SuzGM84

Mouseketeer
Looking to see what folks recommend/prefer when traveling with a toddler? This year we're doing a lap infant, but for our next trip, DD will be approx. 18 months. We will be traveling with her at least 1x a year on a plane. Debating whether its worth purchasing the FAA approved harness OR just dealing with lugging our carseat. Note - we NEVER rent a car in FL.

We came from Australia with our 19 month old a few years ago and bought the CARES harness. No way was I lugging a car seat on a plane. Not to mention I don't like her sitting in a car seat for that long either, I think it's too confining.
The CARES harness was amazing, but just make sure if you get one "second hand" it still has the tags attached as we encountered a few US domestic flight attendants that didn't know it was FAA approved until we showed them the tags and we were good to use it.
Your kid will be very safe in it and it allows them a little more "wiggle room" than a car seat does - especially since you aren't renting a car so won't need it for the rest of your trip.

This is a matter of preference/opinion but we've flown many times with infants/babies of all ages and never once brought a seat/harness. If they can sit reliably, we just have them sit on the plane in their own seat with a couple of new toys to distract them or an iPad or something. We've done this with flights as long as six hours and as short as 2-3 hours (most common one to FL). Dealing with a car seat is bad enough when you have a car rental. If you don't have a car rental, it is definitely not worth the hassle. It's a major main in the butt.

This is a matter of preference/opinion but we've flown many times with infants/babies of all ages and never once brought a seat/harness. If they can sit reliably, we just have them sit on the plane in their own seat with a couple of new toys to distract them or an iPad or something. Dealing with a car seat is bad enough when you have a car rental. If you don't have a car rental, it is definitely not worth the hassle. It's a major main in the butt.
IF a child is under 2 they MUST be in a harness or car seat if they are occupying their own seat. A airplane seatbelt isn't enough to secure a toddler if there is turbulance. It is a requirement.

IF a child is under 2 they MUST be in a harness or car seat if they are occupying their own seat. A airplane seatbelt isn't enough to secure a toddler if there is turbulance. It is a requirement.
🤷‍♂️ We've done it over a dozen times between our kids, no ones said anything to us. Anytime there was turbulence, I put them on my lap at that point. And we're almost always in Row 1 where our kids are quite visible to attendants.

So, at least in the United States, a CRS or device is a recommendation and not a requirement. Which explains why no one has ever said anything to us. Maybe different for flights originating in Australia?
https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/
Edit - it appears to be a requirement in Australia:
https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/cabin-safety/travelling-infants-and-children

Yeah, guess it depends on the airline.
However it is not safe in a normal airplane seatbelt for a small child hence the warning and requirement/recommendation.
the CARES harness is great and if it is stopping my child from being thrown around the plane in turbulence then it is well worth the cost, same as putting a child in a car seat in a car. Safety comes first.

We came from Australia with our 19 month old a few years ago and bought the CARES harness. No way was I lugging a car seat on a plane. Not to mention I don't like her sitting in a car seat for that long either, I think it's too confining.
The CARES harness was amazing, but just make sure if you get one "second hand" it still has the tags attached as we encountered a few US domestic flight attendants that didn't know it was FAA approved until we showed them the tags and we were good to use it.
Your kid will be very safe in it and it allows them a little more "wiggle room" than a car seat does - especially since you aren't renting a car so won't need it for the rest of your trip.

Thanks! I was considering adding it to her Christmas list this year. This is probably one of the few Christmases I'll get away with getting her mostly stuff she needs (read: carseats, diapers) rather than wants (read: toys)!!

We used a CARES harness when our youngest was 34 months. He was 37" and just under 30 lbs. So kinda tiny. It was great for the 2.5 hr flight. But if your flight is longer/at a time your kid might fall asleep, the harness does not provide the support a carseat does. You will need to lean over and support them while they sleep.

We have three kids (twins and one two years younger). I personally would never take the risk of flying with a lap child and really wish that they would ban that practice - you can't hold onto a child in severe turbulence. When my kids were toddler aged we flew with three car seats - as that was the safest way to travel. We eventually transitioned to the CARES harness. Traveling with the car seats really isn't a huge deal unless you let it be.

We used a CARES harness when my youngest was 2 and it was great! I would definitely choose that over a carseat if you won't need a carseat at your destination.

We brought a car seat on the plane for our daughter the 2 times we flew with her (when she was 23 months and just before she turned 3). She’s still rear facing but I bought a lighter weight forward facing seat for her and we got a backpack to put the seat in. It was fine and she sat well in the seat. I’d bring it again.

We are traveling in 8 days for wdw and I am taking a Cares harness that I got 2nd hand for $25 on fb marketplace (the 1st owner used it 1 time. Its basically brand new.) I will post how it does with my 3 yr old when we get back. Someone gave me a tip of getting a small piece of shelf liner (dollar store) for them to sit on so they don't slide all over the seat (the sticky web kind)
I have been in planes with TERRIBLE turbulence before, so even though its not required, we will be using it to keep our DD safer. Then when we need to we will take advantage of Minnie Vans at the parks.

I'm in the CARES camp. We've used it for all 3 of our kids and still use it for my 6 year old (he's on the smaller size, about the size of a 4 year old) and we love it. If you aren't going to need a carseat at your destination, I would avoid taking it at all.

CARES--even you don't care about safety :goodvibes, kids know that harness style seat belt means they have to stay seated which is a huge help for parents. Without a car rental, no need to lug that seat around, and it takes up so much space on the plane (you pretty much have to set it up on the window seat).

The harness is so much easier. We did the car seat thing a couple times and that adds drama. I remember being concerned about getting it down the aisle of the plane without bumping people. The harness made flying easier until our daughter could be trusted in just the seat belt

CARES--even you don't care about safety :goodvibes, kids know that harness style seat belt means they have to stay seated which is a huge help for parents. Without a car rental, no need to lug that seat around, and it takes up so much space on the plane (you pretty much have to set it up on the window seat).
That is a good point. We learned that the hard way. We put the car seat in the middle seat thinking that makes things easier with one parent on each side. Turned out, it has to be on the window for safety concerns. They pulled the plane over and waited for us to change it before heading to the runway. With the whole plane watching. Made me never want to fly Southwest again. They walked by us over and over and could have said something before the plane was moving. Another advantage of the harness. Your child can sit in whatever seat you want.

Keep in mind with the CARES harness, you'll need to deal with strapping it around the seat which means asking the person behind you to assist in lowering their train upon installation and uninstallation. Not a big deal, but can be a bit annoying.

True. But that depends on whether you get to your seat before or after the people behind you. We didn’t really have an issue. Most people probably figure if it is going to keep the child in front of them under control, great. And are they really going to say no? I really wish there was a way for people to know which seats on a plane had kids in them when selecting seats, because that could be good information. Having a young child, I found it is good to be seated near other families because the kids can help entertain each other a little with exchanging toys, talking to each other in munchkin language, etc

This is a matter of preference/opinion but we've flown many times with infants/babies of all ages and never once brought a seat/harness. If they can sit reliably, we just have them sit on the plane in their own seat with a couple of new toys to distract them or an iPad or something. We've done this with flights as long as six hours and as short as 2-3 hours (most common one to FL). Dealing with a car seat is bad enough when you have a car rental. If you don't have a car rental, it is definitely not worth the hassle. It's a major main in the butt.
Did they fit in the seat belt securely enough? DS will be 21 mos at the time we are considering flying. Also, can you hold them on your lap during the flight if they need to be held if they have their own seat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter