Carseats/boosters for kids under 6 in Florida???

disney4us2002

Tagless by choice!!
I was on the telephone with a car rental agency in Orlando (I think Hertz) and the rep. said that all kids under 6 are required to sit in carseats/boosters by Florida law. Anyone heard of this or had an issue picking up a rental? My youngest is turning 6 while we are in FL and I'm not paying an extra $10 per day for booster rental not to mention that he would be devastated to have to sit in one!

Carla

Yes, it is the law. Oops, another one I break :) DD is 5, didn't need the car seat in NY after 4. I don't see the need to punish her and put her back in now. Just my opinion.

Is this new? Did it just change (since last year) because I investigated this law before our last trip to WDW and it was:

"All children under 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613)."

I just found this info again at several site including myflorida.com, The Department of Transportation, buckleupflorida.com, and inventiveparent.com. They all state the above.

So my question is has the law changed in the last year and all these website have old info??

Thanks!

hmmm. good question, maybe just a way for the rental agencies to snag a couple of extra bucks?

I have a high back booster seat for my 5 1/2 year old son. I just think it positions the seat belts on the child properly. As for in the Air - I connected the 5 point harness for the plane, and it was fine. It is the Century Next Step. I come from a family of firefighters, and you don't want to hear the horror stories of the airbags, and seat belts that I have heard regarding children.

I also use a high back booster for my almost 6 year old in the car, and we check it through when we fly so we'll have it for use in the rental car. However, he's definitely over 40 pounds, so we don't use it on the airplane as the harness is only for use with children under 40 pounds. Isn't the current recommendation for children to be using the belt positioning booster seats until they're about 8 years old now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter