Cash at WDW

maranara

Mouseketeer
How much cash do you carry when you go to Disney World? I feel like nearly everything can be purchased using your magic band...but I also vaguely remember that there are a few things that need cash (though I can't remember at all what those are!). Trying to figure out what to pack and if I need to hit up an ATM! :)

I always bring a few hundred bucks, but it ends up sitting in the hotel room safe the entire time. I have never encountered any place on disney property where I couldn't pay with my magic band At the airport and off property, I use a credit card. I always spend a little cash on housekeeping tips and then have a little extra in the event of an emergency. But I have never had to use it and never carry it with me to the parks

Say a $100 but I consistently like using my magic band for purchases. Its easier to track. I feel like if I have $100 in my wallet will "burn a hole in my pocket" and then I will be more apt to spend that $100.
It is nice though to have the cash for tips.

Usually $200-$250. For an 8 day trip, I usually end up bringing alot of it home, but use it for airport tips/ bell services tips/ room attendant tips,etc. Usually just charge everything.

Thanks - I figure I'll bring enough for tips (last trip my daughter decorated envelopes for mousekeeping that we pre-filled with cash) and not worry about bringing much else. As long as my MB will be accepted everywhere, that's way easier for me!

Doesn’t the system crash every once in awhile, preventing people from using their magic bands to charge?
That does happen, but usually you can still use a credit card. Occasionally I've seen a popcorn/pretzel kiosk go to "cash only" temporarily.

I bring about $300 in cash to cover tips (housekeeping, airline luggage check in, bell services, valet) and airport purchases (I don't trust some of the vendors). You also need cash if you want to buy your kids balloons. They are cash only.

Doesn’t the system crash every once in awhile, preventing people from using their magic bands to charge?
That does happen, but usually you can still use a credit card. Occasionally I've seen a popcorn/pretzel kiosk go to "cash only" temporarily.
It does. Happened to my partner and I at the food festival this past year. But each stand that's MB system was down still took credit cards

The balloon vendors and the carts out around parade times (light up toys) are cash only. Always carry a few dollars, if there are technical difficulties with using your Magical band, you could be stuck.

My wife and I will bring a few dollars to use to tip Mousekeeping, but other than that, we are always cashless on our WDW trip. I don't think it's a poor practice (in fact, quite the opposite) though to bring some cash on any vacation, just in case. You never know what you'll encounter!

We bring no cash with us into to parks. We travel very light. Magic bands, phone, phone charger. Have never had magic band charging system go down on us.

ATM's are readily available at Disney so there is on need to bring a lot of cash from home and then try to keep it in the room safe. Better plan is to bring some cash with you and then use an ATM as required. Your magic band is linked to the credit card you put on file, so you are basically charging your credit card when you use it.

We only use cash for tips and highway tolls (recently my NJ EzPass started working in FL).
And pressed pennies :) Which now take other payment and don't use your penny :(

One time the payment system went down on the ice cream cart next to us when the parade was live. They decided to just give away whatever people came up to order.

Another time DH took the last $20 I had in my wallet on check-out day. Thinking it was still there, I went and ordered the delicious roasted pecans in AK. The CM smiled and said not to worry, just take them. I still remember her smile :D

$200 in cash is way more than enough to get us thru a trip, even $100 is plenty.

I always pre stuff envelopes with mousekeeping tips and bring plenty of 10’s for other tips like bell services and valet. I’m bad with spending money. I usually bring $2k and leave it in the safe. Just incase.

Maybe $200 max and it stays in the safe. I do carry my id and credit card along with my magicband into the park.

What amount do you all recommend for tipping Mousekeeping? Do you tip every day (assuming there will be different staff servicing the room each day)? Or at the end of your trip? We are spending four nights at the BC. I'm trying to figure out how many bills (and in what denominations) I should bring for tips. Thanks!

I usually take a couple of hundred dollars. I put it in the safe and carry about $20 or so to the parks. We tend to stay at swan/Dolphin so there is no charging to MB and even when we stay at WDW resorts we don't charge to the MBs. I carry a cc, ID and some cash in a little thing that is attached to my phone (my Dolphin room key too if we are staying there). There are times when we are just buying a coke or water or something and I don't want that small of a charge on my cc so I use cash. During festivals, I buy one of the wrist gift cards and put a couple of hundred on it (using my cc) and I will use that at booths and for small purchases.

We are clearly not the norm but we bring lots of cash, as this helps keep us on budget. We do have credit cards and will use them at times but it's much easier to go over your budget with your MB or CC...at least in my opinion. However, I know that we are not the norm as most people almost never have cash in their daily lives.

Tips for mousekeeping about $5/day. Also valet and bell services if needed.

For the parks, along with magic band and credit card I always have $100 or so and get more if needed. MB and card readers can go down sometimes. I’ll usually just pay cash for my $4 water or other small items.

Probably go through no more than $300 total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!