Cast Member Asked

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysdrew

Part of THAT World
Just wanted to mention when we requested our DAS on November 20th at Epcot, we were asked if our son has autism.

I guess there is still some confusion.

They should not be asking. The diagnosis doesn't really matter; the needs do.

Honestly, when asked that (if you want to spend the time), I'd consider asking for a manager and then pointing out that asking such a question is illegal under the ADA. If not, it'd be worth at least filling out a complaint or feedback form after the fact. The more people who point out it's happening, the more likely that WDW will make sure that their CMs know that they cannot ask it.

Ok I get that they are not actually allowed to ask what is wrong with someone asking to confirm what you are asking based on what they know about something. As far as anyone may know the CM in question may have many poel com in to get a DAS for some who is autistic and had gotten so used to hearing what those people needs are they are just double checking that with you.

Ok I get that they are not actually allowed to ask what is wrong with someone asking to confirm what you are asking based on what they know about something. As far as anyone may know the CM in question may have many poel com in to get a DAS for some who is autistic and had gotten so used to hearing what those people needs are they are just double checking that with you.

Doesn't matter what the reason is, they're not allowed to ask.

Asking it by accident doesn't excuse it.

The DAS is no different than the GAC insofar as that it's still needs based, not diagnosis based. If it was an accident, it should have been followed up with "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask that" or something like that. Without any follow up, its implied that the CM was misinformed that it's a)an allowable or appropriate question or b) mistakenly told to ask. A survey is extremely unlikely as every survey or taker tells you that the information is for those purposes.

Accidentally asking if a child is autistic? No, don't think so.

why not, like I said maybe she had several people com p to her and say my son is autistic I need this this and this and the op just happened to come up to them and ask the same. Don't forget the CM's are human being and can and do make mistakes.

They could say something without thinking but they are still incorrect to do so. But I think it would be hard to accidentally ask if someone is autistic.

It would be acceptable to ask for another CM or a lead if the first one was rude enough to ask such a thing or made you uncomfortable for any such reason.

why not, like I said maybe she had several people com p to her and say my son is autistic I need this this and this and the op just happened to come up to them and ask the same. Don't forget the CM's are human being and can and do make mistakes.

Other guests stating their child is autistic shouldn't have triggered the CM to ask any other guest that question. Other guest's issues have nothing to do with what can and should be asked when another family walks up. That is a ridiculous excuse to come up with.

I guess I don't understand whats wrong with saying "Is the child autistic?" is that an offensive question? I would have just said no, and then talk about what my child needs.

I thought the ADA just protected people from being discriminated against, I don't recall ever reading that it made it against the ADA to ask what the disability was. I know it's illegal to share that information with other people [when it comes to a school telling someone else what the disability the child has] but I thought that was HIPAA not ADA? This is a genuine question.

Because the disability doesn't matter in this case. Not all autistic kids NEED to wait outside of a line, so saying that word shouldn't matter. Its not Disney's, nor anyone else who is obligated to provide equal access business, what disease, disability or disorder you have.

Agreed.
These CMs are human and deal with all sorts of people throughout the day, I am sure some understanding from those they serve may be appreciated. I honestly would not be offended if someone asked me what has caused my mobility/neurological issues.

You being offended or not makes no difference. It's not something they're allowed to ask.

Would a pharmacy be excused for disclosing information by accident? No. Not just because it's a different law, because it's a law at all. Can a store ask if you have any sort of illness or disability to use their motorized carts? No, because it's a law. An accident is not a valid excuse and an individual who isn't offended by the question doesn't change what is and isn't allowed.

Ok, this topic is getting a little heated.

It is not appropriate for CM to ask if a person has a specific diagnosis. Trying to guess why the person said that is just supposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter