Castaway Cay 5K vs Castaway Cay Challenge

leholcomb

DIS Veteran
Hey fellow runners

I will be running the Marathon in January followed by the cruise on the Dream so I will be signing up for the Challenge. My boyfriend is not planning on running during marathon weekend but wants to run the CC5K with me. I know he can sign up for the 5K on the ship but will we be running at the same time? I ask because I have read a few blogs and a couple mentioned a "later" 5K. So is there one 5k that day or two?

TIA!

There are two 5k’s that day. The first 5k is the CCChallenge put on by runDisney and only those runners are allowed off the ship (hence why your boyfriend couldn’t run with you). The second is the free 5k put on by the cruise line.

To be eligible to run the CCC, you must run any race (or races) during Marathon Weekend. Otherwise, you can only run the free race put on by the cruise line.

Not sure if that’s the cleanest way to say it, but hope this helps.

The first 5k is the CCChallenge put on by runDisney and only those runners are allowed off the ship (hence why your boyfriend couldn’t run with you).

It might have changed, but when I did the inaugural year families could get off the ship to cheer on the runners. It was still dark when we got off the ship. It was EARLY. I had my family stay asleep for it. Only registered runners can participate in the paid one.

As for the second 5K, it's later on, you do have to sign up for it (do that EARLY EARLY in the cruise!). I think you can sign up at the Port Adventures desk. You could do both. If it hasn't changed, the free 5K run that day is the same course as the paid one, which means it's an actual measured 5K unlike the normal free island run.

Thanks guys! That stinks. I knew he really wanted to run it with me so he could have been part of this milestone somehow (first marathon, milestone birthday). Oh well, he can always sleep in and have a nice breakfast waiting for me when I get back. :)

He can do the 5k at marathon weekend and then this too...more expensive, but its an option.You can run the free one together though - there is enough time in between.

He can do the 5k at marathon weekend and then this too...more expensive, but its an option.You can run the free one together though - there is enough time in between.

This is my suggestion. Have him sign up for a race marathon weekend and then he can do it with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter