• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway water temps - Mid Nov vs Late Feb

lscrivan18

Mouseketeer
Those that have been to Castaway in the middle of November and also end of February - did the water temp feel cooler during one of those periods or pretty much the same? Torn between two cruises and wondering if one will feel more comfortable in the water. I'm a water temp wimp!

I've never been in middle of November, but we did end of February. Let's just say you could tell who came from a cold weather climate and who didn't by who was in the water.

It was chilly when you first got in, but I got used to it. Helped that it was about 80 degrees and sunny out.

I'd rather swim in November than February. BUT - you never know what the weather will bring. When we were there at the beginning of November, it was rainy and meh, when we went in January it was hot and even though the water was a bit chilly, it was nice to swim.

This link will help with temps - https://www.seatemperature.org/central-america/bahamas/nassau.htm

As @sponica said there are variables. I am not comfortable in water temps much below 75, but others are. It seems like folks from Canada will swim no matter what the temp is! If it is warm and sunny, the water will feel different than if it is cool and cloudy. Winds can also contribute to comfort levels.
Yeah, water temperature can almost be political! The record cold water temperature in the region of Castaway Cay is 72 degrees. People out here in California open their pools for the season when the water hits 65, and my gym keeps their outdoor pool at 70 degrees year round. So that is plenty warm for me.
We were on Castaway Cay during January. Water was great, but because the air temperature was very close to the water temperature it was a little cool when you were wet and out of the water.

We've done both - and several other months as well. In general, the water temperatures in mid-Nov will be warmer than late Feb. But that's somewhat dependent on the actual wea conditions at the time of your sailing.

I’d book November (even December) over February/early March anyway.

There’s a reason November is in the Hurricane Season - there’s still heat (energy) in the water.

February is too cold for me. I'm a native Floridian so it may be different for someone up north. We were there two weeks ago and my wife was complaining about how cold the water was.

I have been in early January. And I go in a the adult beach...a little chilly, but I got used to it. I floated around in a tub.

I just booked late February, I would think it will be a little warmer 6 weeks later. But I remember our 1st cruise in early April and the water had a cool feel when you first got in.

🚢 😎 :earsgirl:

Don't be so quick to judge based on prior reports. Just had the obligatory "Bad hurricane season expected" reports on the local news. One of the large contributing factors is the higher water temps in the Atlantic, Carib, and Gulf waters. So YMMV.

See this from NOAA.

Last edited:
I’ve been in November (albeit late November) and it was fine when the sun was out but it got really breezy and cloudy around lunch and I nope-d out after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter