Casual family restaurant with great steak

That really depends on your husband's definition of "great steak", as you can tell from the responses here.

If you want an excellent cut of meat, aged properly and prepared simply - you are going to have to go to a signature. if you are particular about cut MOST of them feature filet, so if you want another cut check menus (Yachtsman has various cuts but IMO is fussy for a little kid). Flying Fish I believe also has NY Strip, but don't assume that you will have any option other than filet at any non-steakhouse signature... check menus.

If what you mean is a tasty steak, there are several options listed above. Someone mentioned WCC above and my dad really enjoyed the steak there. Mama Melrose is another one well known for the preparation of its steak also mentioned above - the preparation involves a sauce that people love and also a mac and cheese side that people also love. Pretty much all of the deluxe "2nd tier" restaurants have some sort of strip steak on the menu so it's really the sauces and sides that differentiate. Those will have the casual family atmosphere you're looking for and you will need to cross reference the kid menus. Don't count on chicken strips if it's not served there but pasta may be doable at nearly every place.

I like both kinds of steaks personally, I've had some very tasty "cheaper cut" steaks at WDW that I very much enjoyed. I have had some really good filets too. Full disclosure: I am not a steak snob, just a seafood snob :)

I was surprised that the Turf Club at SSR did not have a filet on the menu.

We had good steak at the Wave at the contemporary resort. I think that restaurant is a hidden gem

Two words for you that haven't been mentioned:
Mama Melrose.

I suspect that that there will be about a 50/50 split of haters /non-haters.
Do research on their steak. You might be surprised at the love.

I'd also go to any signature in jeans. If they don't want my money, somebody else will. I guarantee it.

Another vote for Mama Melrose. This is the best steak I’ve had on property. It also sounds like it’s a good fit for your criteria. I am particular about steak and have been to many of the signature restaurants including ones known for their steak and Mama Melrose was as good or better than them.

The best and most consistent steaks on property are at Shula's. They have more control over the meat the get than any other restaurant at Disney other than maybe V&A's. It is consistently good where every other place I have eaten steak including Flying Fish, Mama Melrose, Brown Derby, California Grill and Yachtsman have been hit ot miss with their cuts of meat depending on our visit and we have been to each multiple times. We have taken our daughter to Shulas when she was 4,5 and 6 and never had any issues with food choices or looked at like she shouldnt be with us.

Another vote for Boathouse since it’s casual, kid friendly and good steak. They use Gibsons beef and I found it to be excellent on our visit. My son loved his meal since it was served in a little cardboard amphicar.

We enjoy the Prime Rib at Boatwright's located at Port Orleans Riverside. My grandson really enjoyed the pizza. He does not like much sauce on it and they did it just for him.

I would vote for STK as it will be a shorter meal yes a little more adult themed but fine to bring kids. As far as jeans.... I have seen everything from suites to jeans and a sport jacket to a pullover hoodie and jeans at michelin star restaurants in NY... If you are paying you can dress as you want so long as it is within the guidelines and today in most places those are very loosely enforced... Do not understand it today jeans in general cost more than a suit these days.
We didn't have a good experience at STK and will never go back!

Thanks. I took a very detailed look at the menu options that everyone suggested. I had to eliminate several of them as some of them seemed very fishy. The smell of fish and seafood really turns me off. And I do not eat either. And I'm not the biggest steak eater in the world either. So for now I booked us at Mama Melrose and Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill.

We had good steak at the Wave at the contemporary resort. I think that restaurant is a hidden gem

I'll second this - and I think it's a good place for kids. And its outside a park - which is often good for an arrival day.

I've personally been disappointed with my "steakhouse" experiences at Disney. They are at or above the price of a good steakhouse elsewhere in the US - but I've found the experience NOT at the same level - the experiences haven't been as good. Now - I've only done this twice.... so not a lot of data on my part.

I have had the steak at The Wave three times now - it's priced lower - good enough steak for me - and the service and overall experience has been great.

Mama Melrose.

I'd also go to any signature in jeans. If they don't want my money, somebody else will. I guarantee it.

this is so funny—i wrote a post about mama melrose but didn’t share it because i thought no one would agree.

but mama melrose makes a decent steak! best ever? absolutely not. but yummy and the atmosphere sounds like it’ll suit OP. good on you for mentioning it :)

this is so funny—i wrote a post about mama melrose but didn’t share it because i thought no one would agree.

but mama melrose makes a decent steak! best ever? absolutely not. but yummy and the atmosphere sounds like it’ll suit OP. good on you for mentioning it :)

All in all, in the situation, I think it's a decent choice. Should be mentioned, however, that it's usually been a strip, I think. So, you'll need to like meaty/flavorful cuts. (Yes, that's a sneaky, snarky, ding to all of the filet lovers out there, but to each their own.)

I'd also look into the carne asada at Bayless's joint is Disney Springs.

Mama Melrose.

We also went to Mama Melrose and I had a very good steak there. It is not a filet or anything but it was very good. And your daughter can get pasta there!

Check out Hollywood Brown Derby's menu. It's in DHS, so the dress code is more casual. The food is on par with other signature restaurants.

We enjoy the Prime Rib at Boatwright's located at Port Orleans Riverside. My grandson really enjoyed the pizza. He does not like much sauce on it and they did it just for him.

Prime Rib at Boatwright's is awesome I second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter