Caution for mobility challenged at Jambo House Villas

shellybaxter

Dis Veteran <br>Disney Restaurants for one hundre
Hi,

I used a scooter in Disney because I have trouble with my knees and hips. We own DVC and LOVE the one bedroom villas. We stayed in Jambo House this trip and it was beautiful. However, I had a REALLY hard time with the shower being in the deeper jeted tub. Stepping in and out of the deep tub to take a shower was really difficult. I didn't think about that being a problem before hand so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Shelly

Good point.

We recently took a DVC tour and looked at the AKL villas. We had our DD in her wheelchair with us and the guide kind of warned us if we ever stay at AKL that we need to specify Kidani Village. The one bedrooms there actually would have been nearly as accessible as a room with a roll in shower at some other resorts.

Good point.
for
We recently took a DVC tour and looked at the AKL villas. We had our DD in her wheelchair with us and the guide kind of warned us if we ever stay at AKL that we need to specify Kidani Village. The one bedrooms there actually would have been nearly as accessible as a room with a roll in shower at some other resorts.

This is true - we stayed at Kidani last time and the shower was great. We wanted Kidani again but it was all booked up so we went with Jambo. With the smaller rooms and the tub issue we probably won't stay there again.

I was actually shocked when we stayed in an "accessible" one-bedroom DVC villa at Jambo a few years back as to how inaccessible it was. This room did have a roll-in shower but they were using the transfer bars by the toilet to hang the towels and there was very little lighting in the bathroom which would make things very difficult for someone with low vision. I couldn't see myself in the mirror over the sink and I could not maneuver in the bedroom. I actually spoke with someone in engineering and design as they wanted my input since they were getting ready to work on Kidani. They have since taken some of my suggestions ( or had thought of these things on their own) and put in a swivel mirror over the sink as well as changed the bed to make it easier to navigate. My latest problem though was at BCV's. I had an accessible room and the bed was so low to the ground that it was impossible to transfer up to my chair. I was told that this was due to the open frame to accommodate a hoyer lift. I ended up having to ask for adaptations on several things in the room including moving the bed off the headboard so that I could get my chair between the bed and the wall and use my chargers. There was NO free outlet by the nightstand and the clock power cord was actually bolted in by a plastic protector so I had no other option even though I had brought my own power strip.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter