Caution: There Will Be Tears

DeterminedOne

DIS Veteran
Remember the part in the Imagineering Story when the head of Tokyo Disney talks about the park reopening after the tsunami? He talked of how the country needed the park to open to help people heal. That part made me cry. I think that’s the way it’s going to be when Disneyland reopens. Lots of tears. Lots of healing. The first character I see - it’s over. Full on ugly cry. 😭

I do remember that and had the same reaction. But would Tokyo Disney really have helped people heal if there were "TSUNAMI WARNING" signs all over the park, evacuation route arrows, cast members constantly reminding you to be ready for a tsunami, etc. And what if those characters everyone was looking forward to seeing were only visible from afar, so they could run more quickly away from an impending tidal wave than the guests?

Because that's what Disneyland reopening is going to be like. From my one visit to Downtown Disney, there is no escapism or "magic bubble"--reminders of COVID-19 are literally everywhere. It's not going to help with healing, I don't think, and instead will just be a reminder of how much we've given up as a society. So there may be ugly tears, but not of joy...

I do remember that and had the same reaction. But would Tokyo Disney really have helped people heal if there were "TSUNAMI WARNING" signs all over the park, evacuation route arrows, cast members constantly reminding you to be ready for a tsunami, etc. And what if those characters everyone was looking forward to seeing were only visible from afar, so they could run more quickly away from an impending tidal wave than the guests?

Because that's what Disneyland reopening is going to be like. From my one visit to Downtown Disney, there is no escapism or "magic bubble"--reminders of COVID-19 are literally everywhere. It's not going to help with healing, I don't think, and instead will just be a reminder of how much we've given up as a society. So there may be ugly tears, but not of joy...
If I get to go on my trip in October it will be such a blessing. I don’t think I will feel sad about the new normal DLR. I understand what you mean, though.

And for me, being able to go to DTD was a relief. I was able to go to someplace I loved, and I felt safe doing it. We (meaning our family) have lost so much (I've known too many people who have died or have not just been ill, but still have effects from it 4 mos after "recovery".). For us, it will be "magical" and we will be crying happy tears (heck there were plenty last trip to DTD.). While you may see it as reminders of what we have given up, I see it as Disney working to protect us from this in the future.

For me, DL has always been a place of hope. The reopening of the parks, seeing the characters from afar, and having the CMs reenforcing the rules will only strengthen the hope I have that we can all rebound from this pandemic that has caused a lot of sadness and loss.

If I get to go on my trip in October it will be such a blessing. I don’t think I will feel sad about the new normal DLR. I understand what you mean, though.
I agree...I feel blessed to still be able to plan a trip and making it there will definitely bring on the ugly tears.😭 I just hope I make it through the gates before it starts!

And for me, being able to go to DTD was a relief. I was able to go to someplace I loved, and I felt safe doing it. We (meaning our family) have lost so much (I've known too many people who have died or have not just been ill, but still have effects from it 4 mos after "recovery".). For us, it will be "magical" and we will be crying happy tears (heck there were plenty last trip to DTD.). While you may see it as reminders of what we have given up, I see it as Disney working to protect us from this in the future.
I'm sorry for your loss...this pandemic has taken so much and DL is a much needed light at the end of the tunnel. I too am grateful that Disney is creating a place where we can feel as safe as possible with the way things are.

I agree. Disneyland has always been my happy place. A place of comfort and joy. I probably won't be there opening day, but that first time I walk down Main Street again or even step on to the tram in the parking lot I know I'm going to get all sorts of feels.

I just got back from WDW and I thought I would cry either passing through the gates after getting on property or when I walked down Main Street because I usually get a little misty at those places, but neither of those happened. It happened in an unexpected place, getting off the Magical Express bus from the airport and arriving at my hotel the Pop Century. Upon exiting the bus some of the cast members from the resort were cheering for us, waving Mickey hands, and shouting Welcome Home/Welcome Back! The Welcome Home cheers totally got me.

I think though when I finally get to go back to Disneyland the tears will be flowing again, maybe it will be when I get welcomed back to the Best Western Park Place Inn!

I cried just walking into the esplanade when going to DTD. I know I will walking into the parks!

I just got back from WDW and I thought I would cry either passing through the gates after getting on property or when I walked down Main Street because I usually get a little misty at those places, but neither of those happened. It happened in an unexpected place, getting off the Magical Express bus from the airport and arriving at my hotel the Pop Century. Upon exiting the bus some of the cast members from the resort were cheering for us, waving Mickey hands, and shouting Welcome Home/Welcome Back! The Welcome Home cheers totally got me.

I think though when I finally get to go back to Disneyland the tears will be flowing again, maybe it will be when I get welcomed back to the Best Western Park Place Inn!
How was WDW!?! I would have cried then too. I am a sucker for when they say: welcome home.

I cried just walking into the esplanade when going to DTD. I know I will walking into the parks!

How was WDW!?! I would have cried then too. I am a sucker for when they say: welcome home.

WDW was great but super hot in August. I am a frequent visitor of WDW and DL so it was like coming home. I would say mask compliance was around 90% most of the time. There were a few that always like to break the rules, like the family that set up a tripod in front of the castle at closing time and had a maskless photo shoot even with all the cast members and managers around.

I think the distancing in line and on rides was well done, only the theaters gave me a little pause on safety. I did miss the fireworks and the longer hours that are usually present. Oh and overall lines were short, never thought I would see the day that I could spend less than 5 minutes in line for Peter Pan in the middle of the day in summer!

The first character I see - it’s over. Full on ugly cry. 😭

Like this?

329399cf6ee2f013853cda064cefc7cc.png

Wow....I just watched all the eps of the Imagineering Story this weekend. Ya TEARS!! It was so goood and made me miss going to the parks so so so much. Part of me doesn't care that our Dec trip will probably be lacking some usual Disney magic.....I think we just need to go!! Disney IS our happy place and what it lacks in regular magic can all be made up for with our attitude. I keep thinking I should save our tickets until we can go back with full park hours and fast passes and whatnot but the kid in me thinks we need a dose of Disney ASAP!

YES! As Walt Disney said on opening day, he hoped that Disneyland will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. Reopening, and doing so safely, will be proof that life can be well lived even under the most challenging of circumstances.

The safety reminders are just going to be the new normal, they'll eventually fade into background noise that we tune out. Our focus isn't going to be on the signage, it's going to be who can run walk fastest to Peter Pan. We won't be thinking about masks, we'll be worrying more about not looking into the eyes of Mara. Social distancing won't slow down the teacups. We'll get through this, and Disneyland will (hopefully!) be apart of the journey soon.

Yes. Considering that I was just tearing up watching a Youtube video walking into Disneyland when the "Your attention please" railroad announcement came on in the background, I know I will be crying.

I think at the beginning of this I was more thinking I'd only go back if things were more normal - no masks, certain experiences there, etc. Now when I look at recent WDW pictures, I just say - if Disneyland opened tomorrow it would be hard to keep me away for more than a couple of weeks! I've gotten used to masks. The magic would still be there for me.

Yes. Considering that I was just tearing up watching a Youtube video walking into Disneyland when the "Your attention please" railroad announcement came on in the background, I know I will be crying.

I think at the beginning of this I was more thinking I'd only go back if things were more normal - no masks, certain experiences there, etc. Now when I look at recent WDW pictures, I just say - if Disneyland opened tomorrow it would be hard to keep me away for more than a couple of weeks! I've gotten used to masks. The magic would still be there for me.
I agree. I said the same thing. It is a lot of money to spend to get what we know is less than the full experience. I've rolled that around in my head for a while now too. But I think going to our happy place might be what we need to snap out of a bit of a funk we've been in here. Everyone has extra things stressing them out and taking their time and energy and money right now...more than usual and feeling like we have less control over our situations than normal. I think letting loose on a few roller coasters and eating ice cream bars for breakfast and building a droid might be the type of temporary escape from reality that kicks us into gear again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!