Caviar Spinoff... Oysters, how do you eat them

QUOTE="luvsJack, post: 59627798, member: 144764"]
With your screen name I'm ashamed for you:D.

Not sure where @Gumbo4x4 is from originally, but gumbos of all kinds are a staple in S. LA. Have eaten all kinds - seafood, or not - but usually without oysters. If they happen to be in the gumbos served, I'll enjoy the gumbo, but will not eat the oysters.

I know many people that do not eat oysters - the potential for getting bad ones are very real, and getting food poisoning from one is no fun - I've lived through it when at one time I did occasionally eat fried oysters - years ago, and no more.[/QUOTE]

GUMBO in my case means:

Gateway
Unlimited
Mud
Bog
Organization

And the Gateway is a nod to the Gateway To The West, aka St Louis :)

No oysters for me. We lived in an area where fresh oysters were abundant. My mom used to bread and fry big ones and make oyster ‘burgers’. I couldn’t stomach them as a kid and I have no desire to try them as an adult.

Not sure where @Gumbo4x4 is from originally, but gumbos of all kinds are a staple in S. LA. Have eaten all kinds - seafood, or not - but usually without oysters. If they happen to be in the gumbos served, I'll enjoy the gumbo, but will not eat the oysters.

I know many people that do not eat oysters - the potential for getting bad ones are very real, and getting food poisoning from one is no fun - I've lived through it when at one time I did occasionally eat fried oysters - years ago, and no more.

GUMBO in my case means:

Gateway
Unlimited
Mud
Bog
Organization

And the Gateway is a nod to the Gateway To The West, aka St Louis :)[/QUOTE]

OK, gotcha!!! To me, gumbo can only mean one thing!! LOL If you haven't eaten gumbo in so. LA, you are missing out!!! And, I don't mean supposedly 'authentic' gumbo anywhere else!!

Fried oysters and chicken salad. With a side of pepper hash. (Vinegary cole slaw with chopped green peppers in it.) Was very popular back when my parents were young. Not easy to find these days.

https://eatyourworld.com/destinatio.../what_to_eat/fried_oysters_with_chicken_salad

My father often ordered fried oysters with chicken salad at restaurants back in the day. I tried a fried oyster once, not a fan.

As for gumbo, I thought it has to have okra in it.

I'm assuming these are oysters that are not "fresh off the boat" but "fresh ON the boat?":)
Both actually, I have my own oyster beds that we catch off of, process them in our shop, and deliver to restauraunts all over. But most are caught by other fisherman that I purchase from as demand has outpaced my ability to catch them.

I’ve never tried them, and don’t think I could ever bring myself to try them. I’m afraid I would barf, just going by the way they look.

I just had them for the first time. They put on ketchup and horseradish. It was fine. Not gross but other than the “cocktail” sauce no flavor. We also had raw clams. Now those were salty and amazing. The taste and aftertaste was pure seafood and I loved it. Even DS liked them and he’s picky!

I love oysters anyway they are fixed. When in NOLA I really enjoy the raw oysters on the half shell at Acme Oyster Bar.
I love oysters too any way there are served here...now I would be hesitant about eating them “abroad” and by that I mean outside of Louisiana. But, I can be a snob about my seafood. ;) If you like fried oysters, next time you’re in NOLA venture out to Ye Old College Inn. Best fried oysters in the city!

QUOTE="luvsJack, post: 59627798, member: 144764"]
With your screen name I'm ashamed for you:D.

I know many people that do not eat oysters - the potential for getting bad ones are very real, and getting food poisoning from one is no fun - I've lived through it when at one time I did occasionally eat fried oysters - years ago, and no more.[/QUOTE]
I got food poisoning from raw once too 2 years ago. Sickest I’ve ever been! Was gun shy for a while & then eventually went back! Just can’t resist. I’m just extra careful where I eat them.

[QUOTE="LSUmiss, post: 59631350
I got food poisoning from raw once too 2 years ago. Sickest I’ve ever been! Was gun shy for a while & then eventually went back! Just can’t resist. I’m just extra careful where I eat them.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how to absolutely verify if there are bad ones in the bunch. We lived in Lafayette and ate at a very well known/popular restaurant in Breaux Bridge. I came very close to dying so have just left them alone after that -

Fried, raw, Bienville, Rockerfeller, in gumbo, oyster dip, oyster casserole, oyster stuffing with turkey, but faviritecis chargrilled at a restaurant.

All good. Plentiful here in south Louisiana. Easy and super fresh too because we have a commercial fisherman who lives in our neighborhood.

[QUOTE="LSUmiss, post: 59631350
I got food poisoning from raw once too 2 years ago. Sickest I’ve ever been! Was gun shy for a while & then eventually went back! Just can’t resist. I’m just extra careful where I eat them.

Not sure how to absolutely verify if there are bad ones in the bunch. We lived in Lafayette and ate at a very well known/popular restaurant in Breaux Bridge. I came very close to dying so have just left them alone after that -[/QUOTE]
I know there isn’t anyway to know, but the ones I ate were from a family friend who brought a sack & shucked them at Mardi Gras on time. I was wondering if maybe they weren’t kept as cold as they should have been or something like that. I also ate other food that day out there so I never was 100% sure it was the oysters, but it was the most likely culprit

I love oysters too any way there are served here...now I would be hesitant about eating them “abroad” and by that I mean outside of Louisiana. But, I can be a snob about my seafood. ;) If you like fried oysters, next time you’re in NOLA venture out to Ye Old College Inn. Best fried oysters in the city!

Started going there is the late sixties. There’s a reason the place is still open.

I don't eat oysters regularly, usually only when traveling for whatever reason, but I've liked them every time I've eaten them. They've always been either raw or steamed.

Started going there is the late sixties. There’s a reason the place is still open.
Yes! Lately we have been going almost every other weekend!! Now I’m craving it, but they’re closed on Sunday! :(

Fried, raw, Bienville, Rockerfeller, in gumbo, oyster dip, oyster casserole, oyster stuffing with turkey, but faviritecis chargrilled at a restaurant.

All good. Plentiful here in south Louisiana. Easy and super fresh too because we have a commercial fisherman who lives in our neighborhood.

One year when I was attending college in upstate NY, a group of us "orphans" (meant we weren't going home for the holidays), decided to make a Thanksgiving menu based on our regional favorites and budget. One of the funniest and most fun meals I ever participated in. The majority of us were nascent hospitality professionals so a friendly rivalry was a goodly part of the planning and execution.

One of us was from Maryland and felt the dressing HAD to be oysters and cornbread whilst a Rhode Islander insisted it must be oysters and Grape Nuts. I stood with the Middle Staters and most New Englanders, in thinking it should be oysters and breadcrumbs. Oh and just for the record, the Midwesterners and Westeners just sat back in awe that such lil places had such big differences in cuisine.

A secret vote was taken and oysters and cornbread won. In deference to the Rhodian, stone ground cornmeal was used for the cornbread, LOL.

Another way, I cook oysters is in small egg and onion tarts when hosting a Christmas Eve party. I often try to incorporate French traditions into that meal in deference to part of my kiddos’ "confusion" heritage. Like the better known Italian custom of eating only food from the sea on the Eve, the Gallic countries do the same thing but I don't feel bound by a specific number of dishes.

I've eaten oysters and clams (I lived in New England for a few years) but I have developed an allergy to them. Interestingly enough, I can still eat mussels. Since I enjoy mussels more than oysters and clams, I'm OK with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!