Caviar Spinoff... Oysters, how do you eat them

One year when I was attending college in upstate NY, a group of us "orphans" (meant we weren't going home for the holidays), decided to make a Thanksgiving menu based on our regional favorites and budget. One of the funniest and most fun meals I ever participated in. The majority of us were nascent hospitality professionals so a friendly rivalry was a goodly part of the planning and execution.

One of us was from Maryland and felt the dressing HAD to be oysters and cornbread whilst a Rhode Islander insisted it must be oysters and Grape Nuts. I stood with the Middle Staters and most New Englanders, in thinking it should be oysters and breadcrumbs. Oh and just for the record, the Midwesterners and Westeners just sat back in awe that such lil places had such big differences in cuisine.

What a great memory that is. Made me smile.

My grandmother loved oysters on the half shell. She would often vacation with us in Florida and we would always go to a seafood place one night during the trip and order them. I recall saltine crackers, cocktail, some lemon and maybe Tabasco. I enjoyed them then, but would bet I haven’t had them in the last 30 years. I do occasionally eat them smoked out of the can for a quick filling lunch with some protein (but not at AKL). I’ve had them in stuffing, baked and fried a time or two. I could exist on fish and seafood if my budget and family would cooperate!

Sorry, my incorrect wording led you astray. By BBQ, I really meant grilled. Friends would throw them on an outside grill and wait for them to pop open. We'd then pour a little bit of beer and hot sauce into them before eating them. Gosh, so tasty!

Grilling is a BBQ technique if done either with wood fuel or with smoking chips or the like. There are many many BBQ techniques world wide of which modern southern bbq is but one such.

How do I eat Oysters?

I usually don't. There are other shell fish that taste better to me and have less risk attached to them. I've had Oysters raw, or cooked various ways. But I much prefer other things.

Another way is to boil them in the shell, like you would crawfish with spices, ohh so good.
Or raw just floating in cider vinegar.
I’m ready to go back to work tomorrow now.

I enjoy raw, with lemon and a touch of tomato sauce, not hot sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts