CBBR or PBR?

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling Memorial Day week and we already have PBR booked for the APH rate of $264 a night (which I thought was a good rate).

We could change that to a courtyard family suite at CBBR for $160 a night.

We will spend half our time at the pool and probably go to the parks in the mornings and evenings. We’ve done everything in the parks multiple times.

The kids loved the pool at PBR in September because it had zero depth entry and was never crowded. I think they would enjoy CBBR, but I’m afraid it might be more crowded. An uncrowded, relaxing pool is important to us.

Will express passes save us a lot of time in May? We were there in May (Memorial Day week also) 2015 and enjoyed our express passes, but there were many rides that were walk on. Have crowds gotten significantly worse?

One more concern: my mom may travel with us. If she goes, PBR is probably better for her because she stays at the resort and doesn’t visit the parks. Can I have two Universal reservations booked at one time- one at PBR and one at CBBR and I can cancel one when I find out if Mom is joining us? Or does Universal do like Disney and cancel overlapping resort reservations?

Both resorts fit in our budget, but the prospect of saving over $500 and trying out CBBR is tempting.

First, yes, you can make more than one reservation and cancel once you find out whether your mother is coming or not. Do note that normally reservations made through the Universal or Loews websites have fairly relaxed cancellation policies (i.e. can cancel with no penalties up to 3 to 5 days before the trip.) But I would urge you to verify the cancellation policies when you are making the reservations to make sure you don't have something more restrictive.

I would say with both HP sections and the connecting train in full swing plus the addition of VB and new on-site hotels, Universal is drawing bigger and bigger crowds every year. So I'd guess the crowds will be larger than you last experienced. But how big? According to Undercover Tourist, they are predicting the last week of May to be pretty packed (maybe not Christmas week packed, but not all that far off either). They are predicting crowd levels between 7 to 9 out of a max of 10. Those are shown as red days (very crowded.) But as always, weather and other external factors could affect that. But the crowds are estimated to be smaller earlier in the month. So I guess it really depends on when you are going.

So personally, I'd think EPs would be very helpful and beneficial. For full disclosure, I want to have EPs even in February when the crowds are supposedly some of the smallest of the year. I love just being able to almost walk on to any ride (especially the more popular ones.) It is a great benefit.

And as for how crowded the CBBR pools will be, I'd guess the two pools would be pretty packed based on how crowded I've seen them during slower times.

First, yes, you can make more than one reservation and cancel once you find out whether your mother is coming or not. Do note that normally reservations made through the Universal or Loews websites have fairly relaxed cancellation policies (i.e. can cancel with no penalties up to 3 to 5 days before the trip.) But I would urge you to verify the cancellation policies when you are making the reservations to make sure you don't have something more restrictive.

I would say with both HP sections and the connecting train in full swing plus the addition of VB and new on-site hotels, Universal is drawing bigger and bigger crowds every year. So I'd guess the crowds will be larger than you last experienced. But how big? According to Undercover Tourist, they are predicting the last week of May to be pretty packed (maybe not Christmas week packed, but not all that far off either). They are predicting crowd levels between 7 to 9 out of a max of 10. Those are shown as red days (very crowded.) But as always, weather and other external factors could affect that. But the crowds are estimated to be smaller earlier in the month. So I guess it really depends on when you are going.

So personally, I'd think EPs would be very helpful and beneficial. For full disclosure, I want to have EPs even in February when the crowds are supposedly some of the smallest of the year. I love just being able to almost walk on to any ride (especially the more popular ones.) It is a great benefit.

And as for how crowded the CBBR pools will be, I'd guess the two pools would be pretty packed based on how crowded I've seen them during slower times.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe CBBR has a more crowded pool area because more families with young children stay there. I know that PBR was full or nearly full when we were there in September (a friend of mine tried to book last minute and there was no availability), yet the pool area was not crowded at all, in spite of beautiful pool weather. Maybe PBR has fewer families with small children and that is appealing to us so we can enjoy the pool more.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe CBBR has a more crowded pool area because more families with young children stay there. I know that PBR was full or nearly full when we were there in September (a friend of mine tried to book last minute and there was no availability), yet the pool area was not crowded at all, in spite of beautiful pool weather. Maybe PBR has fewer families with small children and that is appealing to us so we can enjoy the pool more.

When we were given a look around CBay it was mobbed with younger families and lots of teens too. Of course it may not be like that all the time as we only visited it once. But reading how popular the pool is there I can imagine it being busier.

PB would be my choice 100% out of the two. Pools are prettier and have always had a nicer ambience about them. And when we have gone it hasn’t been over run with kids. And it’s a much nicer hotel overall.

And of course EP is priceless for us at any time.

When we were given a look around CBay it was mobbed with younger families and lots of teens too. Of course it may not be like that all the time as we only visited it once. But reading how popular the pool is there I can imagine it being busier.

PB would be my choice 100% out of the two. Pools are prettier and have always had a nicer ambience about them. And when we have gone it hasn’t been over run with kids. And it’s a much nicer hotel overall.

And of course EP is priceless for us at any time.
Thanks. It sounds like we should stick with PBR.

Do you know if we can drive over and park at CBBR since we are already paying to park at PBR? Or is there another way we should get there if we want to visit? Bus? Is the boat easier? Seems like the boat would take a while.

I really hate paid parking. It really limits my freedom.

I'm fairly sure if you drive you will have to pay another parking charge at CBBR.

Getting from PBR to CBBR will probably be pretty easy as you can ask for a shuttle car to take you. Unfortunately, given CBBR is a "Value" hotel, they don't those shuttle cars to get you back to PBR. If your return is after 6pm, there is a shuttle bus that will take you from CBBR to the other hotels. If before, 6pm, you can, walk over to Sapphire Falls and take the Water Taxi to City Walk and then take another Water Taxi to PBR. You can take the CBBR shuttles to City Walk and then either go through security and walk to the Water Taxis (getting you to PBR) or you can wait around (upto 30 minutes I do believe) for a PBR shuttle to stop by the City Walk car/bus drop-off (where CBBR's shuttle drops you off.)

Of course, you can also pay for a taxi or uber back to PBR when you want to go back. I think some have mentioned it was around $6 or $7 to do that.

Thanks. It sounds like we should stick with PBR.

Do you know if we can drive over and park at CBBR since we are already paying to park at PBR? Or is there another way we should get there if we want to visit? Bus? Is the boat easier? Seems like the boat would take a while.

I really hate paid parking. It really limits my freedom.

You will have to pay to park in any other hotel you visit unless you are eating in one of the signature restaurants. Palm and Bice both validate parking.

But, for using the pools, you would pay if you park.

Boats don't run to CBay, so honestly it`s quicker and easier to get a cab.......it`s not expensive.

we stayed at CBBR last Memorial Day weekend and I thought the pools were crowded, but not crazy so. I did like having the food court.

The boat access is really a big perk though. I would stay at PBR just for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter