CBD Oil Lawsuit by Arrested Grandmother

I am not familiar with this story but what I got from the link is that this woman was in possession of an illegal substance, was arrested and charges were later dropped.
So no I don't agree with any lawsuit. She broke the law, she is lucky the charges were dropped and should be thankful.

From what I've read previously of this case, the laws in FL (and many other places) haven't quite caught up with current times. As I understand it, she was prescribed CBD oil at home and it was helping with her arthritis. She took it with her to Disney because she knew she'd be walking an unusual amount and knew she'd need it. She didn't realize she could be arrested for having it. I can't imagine how humiliated she was at one of the Disney checkpoints having this happen to her. (I know when I brought my 93 yr old mother this year and had a Depends in our bag, that was a little embarrassing, too, though nothing in comparison.) I'm not sure, though, she'll have a case as technically, what she had was illegal in FL. It may help hasten the updating of some laws, though, as well as help educate the public to being careful about these types of things when they're traveling.

And one other thing, not all CBD oil is alike. Some compounds may have ingredients that are illegal, which I believe was the case here. So people should be careful about where they buy it, and buy only from a reputable place.

Sounds like a attention hungry lawyer who likes to see his name in the news.
Yeh ..ok Ben crump LOl I have a medical card and I still don’t agree with the lawsuit , she did not have a legal card for Florida and the CBD had THC in it and that makes it illegal .. period . I don’t agree with Disney’s policy so I just don’t give them my money anymore but I absolutely don’t think she will win any lawsuit .. it was a legal arrest and the SAO dropped the charges simply because it would cost to much to prosecute a out of state visitor for something so small .. not because she didn’t break the law .
This is done with many cases .

To preface, I don't believe that her offense was really worthy of an arrest. I am glad the charges were dropped. I also think it was a waste of law enforcement time. I am not sure how that precinct operates. I would hope that the officers in the future will be able to use some discretion. However, if it is a drug brought to their attention, they may not really be able to just confiscate it or look the other way. Bottom line, though, what she did was illegal.

I really hope that Disney and the Sheriff's office do not cave and settle. Assuming she was treated fairly (I haven't seen any allegations that she was hurt in custody or while being detained, etc.)

I live in Florida and the store I work at SELLS Cbd oil, so I figured it was legal. I honestly didn't know until I read about her arrest that it wasn't legal because it is sold everywhere.
I want to give this old 70 year woman the benefit of the doubt, that she didn't know either. I can only imagine the embarrassment she went through, plus the hassle of an arrest.

I live in Florida and the store I work at SELLS Cbd oil, so I figured it was legal. I honestly didn't know until I read about her arrest that it wasn't legal because it is sold everywhere.
I want to give this old 70 year woman the benefit of the doubt, that she didn't know either. I can only imagine the embarrassment she went through, plus the hassle of an arrest.
It wasn't the CBD oil itself. They tested it and it had the THC component, which is illegal. Not all CBD oils have this. (If I remember correctly.)

ETA, wait, that may not be the case. This article says that CBD oil even without THC is illegal in FL. So not sure why stores can sell it.

https://www.wesh.com/article/womans...ses-questions-about-cbd-oil-legality/27455943

I don’t agree with the arrest or the lawsuit. I’m also really glad to know this. I take cbd pills in place of opioids for pain. Mine do not contain thc but I know some can. Our trip next week we replaced wdw for universal but we are doing 1 one evening at the no for Disney after hours. I will make sure to take one before we leave and to get my emergency ones out of my wristlet!

It wasn't the CBD oil itself. They tested it and it had the THC component, which is illegal. Not all CBD oils have this. (If I remember correctly.)

There are definitely cbd compounds that do not include thc. I can (and have) easily pass a drug test and use them almost daily.

To preface, I don't believe that her offense was really worthy of an arrest. I am glad the charges were dropped. I also think it was a waste of law enforcement time. I am not sure how that precinct operates. I would hope that the officers in the future will be able to use some discretion. However, if it is a drug brought to their attention, they may not really be able to just confiscate it or look the other way. Bottom line, though, what she did was illegal.

I really hope that Disney and the Sheriff's office do not cave and settle. Assuming she was treated fairly (I haven't seen any allegations that she was hurt in custody or while being detained, etc.)
Yeh the law is silly but what she had DID have THC in it even if small amount , I am 100% for MMJ but to have this we have to follow rules .. she did not have a Florida card . I am sure the officers would have used their discretion if it had been maybe a traffic stop but the unit that works on property has less of that , they kinda have to be 100% . I don’t think they have to much discretion while standing in the security line . I know most cops don’t give a fig about CBD or even medical marijuana ( I’m married to one ) but they don’t have to many choices enforcing a state law .

I think the woman in the suit is a kook though. She had something illegal in that jurisdiction. Plain and simple. I’d love to put the boy in a booster seat for instance, as he more than meets the height/weight requirements, but he has to be 4 in TN. I don’t like the law and think it’s doing more harm than good but I still obey it.

I edited my post above. Sounds like all CBD oil is illegal in FL. :confused:

Oh, goodness. I’m going to have to look and make sure I understand it. I can get my script filled for pain but I hate taking something that’s habit forming.

ETA: how silly that I can legally have opioids but not cbd! I’m terribly impaired on opioids but not cbd and feel the same amount of relief.

Last edited:
Woman arrested for having CBD oil at Disney, raises legal debate

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35)

- The CBD business is booming in Florida, even though it’s not technically legal yet.

A 69-year-old woman from North Carolina was recently arrested at Disney World because she had CBD oil in her purse, which was recommended by her doctor.

The charge was later dropped, but the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said its deputy was following the law.

While officials have said some forms of CBD are legal, state statue says otherwise.

Until a recently passed hemp bill is signed into law, all CBD products are illegal in Florida.

The News Station investigates how people are selling and buying CBD products in this legal gray area.

http://www.fox35orlando.com/home/woman-arrested-for-having-cbd-oil-at-disney-raises-legal-debate

I'm a little fuzzy regarding this story.

Florida police do the security inspections? Disney security didn't have to go and call the police specifically to arrest her?

FYI, CBD oil is illegal in Florida until July 1st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!