CBS owned stations currently dropped from DISH

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I was about to watch but DISH seems to have cut them off over "retransmission" fee negotiations. I don't have an antenna, so that's not an option. I guess I can watch tomorrow when the programming goes online.

It usually never lasts very long. Game of "chicken" between them, and we're the one missing out on our favorite programs! Boo hiss!

Terri

I heard the last time they played chicken it only lasted a few hours. It's only the CBS owned cable networks and their company owned local stations. Around here that's the local CBS and CW affiliates, which are CBS owned. I think CBS affiliates that aren't owned by CBS are still on DISH and are broadcasting CBS programming. However, the stations that CBS owns are typically in the biggest media markets.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cbs-dish-carriage-talks-far-apart-1202620945/

I think the most significant re-transmission blackout was 12 weeks, and that was Dish Network and Tribune Broadcasting, owner of a number of different stations across all the broadcast networks. However, these disputes are becoming more common and more rancorous, and the way things are going in the industry and with regard to trends in regulation I expect it to get worse over time.

I was about to watch but DISH seems to have cut them off over "retransmission" fee negotiations. I don't have an antenna, so that's not an option. I guess I can watch tomorrow when the programming goes online.
If CBS.com asks who your cable/satellite provider is, it's possible you won't be able to watch online. I dropped locals off Dish (save $10/month) since I have an OTA antenna. I tried to watch Family Guy from my ipad on Monday, was asked to login, and was told I didn't subscribe to the channel (which is true). PITA since I Fox is OTA and I was trying to watch a day later.

$9, problem solved, Rabbit ears. I was going to watch Judge Judy off rabbit ears yesterday on the local CBS O & O station, but discovered on their .2 channel Laugh-In was on, so watched that instead.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-Indoor-HDTV-Antenna/110253942

I had an issue with my DISH receiving last month and they REALLY pushed their $150 off air antenna install deal so you can drop locals on the dish and never have to deal with a local station being dropped again.

$9, problem solved, Rabbit ears. I was going to watch Judge Judy off rabbit ears yesterday on the local CBS O & O station, but discovered on their .2 channel Laugh-In was on, so watched that instead.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-Indoor-HDTV-Antenna/110253942

I had an issue with my DISH receiving last month and they REALLY pushed their $150 off air antenna install deal so you can drop locals on the dish and never have to deal with a local station being dropped again.
No guarantee the $9 antenna will work. There are too many variables. Best bet is to go to tvfool.com or antennaweb.org and put your address in. Those will give you a better idea of what kind of antenna you would need. Could be a paperclip, a $9 antenna, a $50 one or a $150 one.

That sucks CBS is definitely the best station. IMO.

Most of the shows I watch is on cbs.
NBC I only watch Chicago fire. Abc what a joke.

No guarantee the $9 antenna will work. There are too many variables. Best bet is to go to tvfool.com or antennaweb.org and put your address in. Those will give you a better idea of what kind of antenna you would need. Could be a paperclip, a $9 antenna, a $50 one or a $150 one.
A lot of people say that about the antennas but it isn't necessarily true. Digital is less forgiving than analog was, but unless you live in the sticks, if you put rabbit ears near a window, you should get a signal. TV stations used to have to grant waivers to allow folks to receive their signal on satellite. My previous employer has an engineer in a Ford Bronco with an antenna who used to go to the houses of all those people who claimed they could not get a signal off air. I think he found one that did not. His favorite was the lady who claimed she could not get our signal, and you could SEE our transmission tower from her house.

A lot of people say that about the antennas but it isn't necessarily true. Digital is less forgiving than analog was, but unless you live in the sticks, if you put rabbit ears near a window, you should get a signal.
It depends on which window, for us. We have North and South views from our townhouse. An antenna in the windows with South views will receive signals from Atlanta's stations. An antenna in the windows with North views will not, and there's practically no televisions stations north of us.

Biggest issue for me is I have no clue when the shows I watch on CBS are on. Or what shows they are. I have my DVR set and I look at that to see what shows are on that day.

It depends on which window, for us. We have North and South views from our townhouse. An antenna in the windows with South views will receive signals from Atlanta's stations. An antenna in the windows with North views will not, and there's practically no televisions stations north of us.
I can't speak to Altanta, but generally all the transmission towers are in the same place in a city. In what the FAA called antenna farms. They do that so that you don't have 2,000 foot antennas all over that aircraft have to watchout for.

A lot of people say that about the antennas but it isn't necessarily true. Digital is less forgiving than analog was, but unless you live in the sticks, if you put rabbit ears near a window, you should get a signal. TV stations used to have to grant waivers to allow folks to receive their signal on satellite. My previous employer has an engineer in a Ford Bronco with an antenna who used to go to the houses of all those people who claimed they could not get a signal off air. I think he found one that did not. His favorite was the lady who claimed she could not get our signal, and you could SEE our transmission tower from her house.
I'm telling you, it IS true. Sure, if you're in the city of license, within about a 10-15 mile radius of the transmitter, a $9 antenna will work. But that's not everyone's situation. Saying the $9 antenna will work for someone without knowing ANYTHING about their situation is irresponsible.

As far as the waivers back in the day, I remember those too. I also remember people within 5 miles of the transmitter asking for waivers. For them, the cheapy antenna will work fine. Was the antenna your engineer took out directional (probably)? Did he have an amplifier he could put in line? Possibly. Did he have a small mast so he could raise the antenna more than 6' off the ground? Also possible.

The best thing to do before spending ANY money is to go to the websites I specified earlier. Now, if you happen to have an antenna sitting around, sure, plug it in and see what you get.

I can't speak to Altanta, but generally all the transmission towers are in the same place in a city. In what the FAA called antenna farms. They do that so that you don't have 2,000 foot antennas all over that aircraft have to watchout for.
Yes, some markets have transmission towers in the same place. That's usually done to take advantage of topography (like a mountain top), NOT because of the dangers to aircraft.

Also, not every tower is 2000 feet.

Last edited:
After rereading, I wanted to follow up some more...
A lot of people say that about the antennas but it isn't necessarily true.
What's "not true"? That a $9 antenna may not work? Um, yes, that's true. It may work or it may not.
Digital is less forgiving than analog was,
Actually not true. RF is RF is RF. The main difference between digital and analog (from a reception standpoint) is while an analog signal will degrade "linearly" (you'll get some static, then some more static, then more, then more, until you have no picture), on a digital signal, it will look perfect until it doesn't. You'll get freezing, "macroblocking", or no picture. But if you have a signal that's good enough, you get all the quality. You can compare it to driving a car into a ravine. With analog, you go down a slope. With digital, you drive off a cliff.
but unless you live in the sticks, if you put rabbit ears near a window, you should get a signal.
What's your definition of "the sticks"? It all depends how far out from the transmission towers you are, and what direction. If the towers are on the east part of town and your home is on the west if you put an antenna in a west facing window, you're not going to pick much up.

Last edited:

I don't know about more or less forgiving, but for the most part digital TV either works perfectly or it fails. I haven't really tried an antenna, but I remember when I was able to get high-def signals through Comcast without a cable box. I could tell that it wasn't necessarily that stable since I'd get dropouts often where everything would dissolve into a mass of large pixels before recovering.

Digital transmission is very forgiving when it comes to transmission noise. There's tons of technology that's meant to extract optimal performance even when the signal quality is poor, using signal processing and error correction. I remember getting analog TV signals through an antenna. My dad would be on the roof trying to align the antenna and I'd be yelling out the window when it looked good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter