CCV now $210/Point Direct

Thank you everyone, I definitely see your points. I think there are certainly not enough studios for the demand right now, but I also see it as a 1 bedroom problem - 1 brs are too overpriced for what additional amenities they add (plus sometimes less occupancy than a studio! That’s crazy to me.)

And overshadowing all of that are the overpriced cabins/bungalows.
Totally agree. As someone eating out some at Disney, I can't justify double the points for what you get.

let’s assume for a moment that DVC made an honest mistake by over building or over pricing cabins. How could they fix the problem they created?

It could be fixed with point reallocation, but that would be very unpopular with a majority of members, and probably trigger a lawsuit.

They could buy back enough smaller contracts to correct the imbalance, then Combine and resell them as huge contracts for people who really want cabins. This would probably take years, maybe decades, to accomplish.

Could they build more studios at CCV? Not sure if they have room. They would probably need to double the number of studios.

What should they do?

let’s assume for a moment that DVC made an honest mistake by over building or over pricing cabins. How could they fix the problem they created?

It could be fixed with point reallocation, but that would be very unpopular with a majority of members, and probably trigger a lawsuit.

They could buy back enough smaller contracts to correct the imbalance, then Combine and resell them as huge contracts for people who really want cabins. This would probably take years, maybe decades, to accomplish.

Could they build more studios at CCV? Not sure if they have room. They would probably need to double the number of studios.

What should they do?
Unclear. Even if they sold huge contracts, there is no way to keep those buyers from renting those points or using them for studios etc. Selling high-point cabins as a completely separate resort would be the best option going forward, IMO. I don't think there is any good way to undo the damage done though.

I think the main thing they can do currently is be honest with potential buyers. Just today I saw someone post about how he or she bought Riviera for the value tower studio rooms. The the crazy number of points for sale in that resort coupled with the extremely small number of tower studios is going to be CCV all over again. They really should be upfront with people that they may have a lot of difficulty getting cheaper rooms even at 11 months to the day.

I certainly can't agree with the premise that this was an inadvertent mistake. Anyone with minimal competence would know their sales history and what the demand looks like for studios vs cabins etc. Still,, your question is an excellent one - what, if anything, could be done at this point.

What should they do?

Since DVC is a points system and you aren't locked into any particular sized unit just selling large contracts would not provide any correction. If people had wanted to buy for the cabins they could have done so even if buying multiple small contracts.

I’d love it if somehow DVC could offer certain incentives or near break even buy back prices for members that want out if they are disappointed with what they were sold vs told. And then take those same points and offer current CCV members first dibs on a special add on price, that would have to be a lot lower than 210. No doubt at this point my family would strongly consider adding on. We’re already softly looking at the CCV resale market for 75-150 pt contracts that are already getting dumped. It’s still somewhat early to see if things eventually come back to status quo at CCV. I think better projections for CCV may not even be available until closer to 2023-24.

Nope it's shady. They are building those bungalows/cabins to generate points at a new resort to sell. Then the cabins remain empty half the time for breakage and meanwhile owners (at CCV) can't get into a studio at 11 months because demand is so high from all the people that bought there with no intention of staying in cabins. The problem isn't as drastic at the Poly because 80% of the site points are in studios and 20 % are in cabins, so enough of the 80% go elsewhere on property to prevent an issue. But here's the breakdown at CCV:
65 Studios
11%​
68 One Bedroom Villas
24%​
60 Two Bedroom Villas
27%​
6 Grand Villas
7%​
26 Cabins
31%​

So 38% of all points sold there are for GV and Cabins, while only 11% of points sold are in studios. What % of owners at CCV do you think WANT those to categories? (Hint - it's not 11% and 38%.)

I also have to point out that the DAY the point distribution was announced I pointed out in the CCV thread that there was going to be a major problem with studios at this resort. And if I can tell this in 30 minutes of work - DISNEY sure as hell knew this was going to be a problem. But did they care - no they did not. And so I agree it's "Shady". Disney looked at the almighty buck and didn't worry that a large percentage of their owners were going to be unsatisfied with their purchase.

Excellent breakdown of the problem. This is well past shady though and is down right evil. Normally I would wish a company that treated their customers like this to go out of business.

On the "other end of the coin" is points and cabins. WHY would I spend 28-33 more points/night on a cabin, when I could get a 1BR and 2BR for that same night for 28-33 LESS points/night?? AND, sleep 4 more people for a total of 12.. Cabins only sleep 8..!!! Yes, I know they are nicer/hot tub/etc but for that many points? Nope, not worth it for me..

As for studios, I agree that MAYBE there should be more, but I said "way back when" as they put in the Poly cabins, they were way too high point value for them. Also, we were not interested in the studios at Poly when they first came open, as they had no use for us, as we like the room/washer/dryer/kitchen/etc.

As for DVC not being truthful/shady/etc I think that people really need to understand, research and look up how many points you need, what size accommodation, what season, how many people will be with you.... I know I really thought about it and studied DVC for a month or two before pulling the trigger and that was 20 years ago.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter