Cedar Point in Ohio

sirenia88

You are a Toy car!
Hello Disboarders!

My wife and I have been discussing trips. One of the trips we are planning is going to Cedar Point in Ohio. However I was sticker shocked on price for this place. Honestly, this place makes Disney look cheap in comparison. I was wondering if anyone in the disboard community has done a camping trip there and have any advice. In the early stages of planning so we can make sure we have budget together for the trip.

We travel there from Ontario Canada because it’s AMAZING.

Depending when you go you can hit low crowds and discounts on rooms and tickets.

If you love roller coasters Cedar Point is great.

I have not been there in years. It was a great place to visit and we did so yearly. At that time, we lived in Toledo, so it was a day trip.
Honestly any of the parks and camping will give one sticker shock. Hershey is the same way, Dorney Park has gone up a lot over the years.
And once you hit the Ohio border Interstate 80 is a toll road.

We went last year. If you opt to go the hotel route, we stayed in their cheapest hotel which was fine. But cost wise, I didn't think the on site perks justified the higher cost vs off-site hotels. It's literaly next door to off site hotels. We went in August and I remember commenting that I would not want to camp there. It was really buggy. Get the express pass. One day of CP was more than enough for my old body. Loved it though!

When I looked at the pricing, the campground is pretty expensive. The park tickets are up there in the Hershey range. However I did like the Express pass feature and my DD and I would be into that. My wife and i were debating how long to make the stay to the place as my wife does not do the roller coasters as much. She can do them but not in mass quantity. We were figuring maybe 2-3 nights or so.

@PaHunter I'm from NJ toll roads don't bother me LOL

When I looked at the pricing, the campground is pretty expensive. The park tickets are up there in the Hershey range. However I did like the Express pass feature and my DD and I would be into that. My wife and i were debating how long to make the stay to the place as my wife does not do the roller coasters as much. She can do them but not in mass quantity. We were figuring maybe 2-3 nights or so.

@PaHunter I'm from NJ toll roads don't bother me LOL

I know NJ residents don't mind tolls, they even charge you to leave the state.

True on the GWB, Lincoln, Holland, and Goethel's. However going into PA, it seems like all those tolls are on your side of the river unless its in the Philly area. Then we charge you for leaving. Delaware charges you for coming into their state and Maryland aint too far behind in about 20 miles or so. :)

It's been a few years, but we have camped there in the past. If your family is into thrill rides - it can't be beat. They have a ton of coasters for those who are into it. The campground is at the edge of the property, so it is very convenient. No frills, but great if you plan to spend your days at the parks. Easy to come back to for a midday break as well. If you are going for a few days and Cedar Point is part of what you are doing in the area, there are a number of better camping options in the area. If, however, you are just going for a couple of nights to be at the park for a day or two, their campground is a great option.

I'm camping there in June and I've been there many times in the past. Here's a few tips/tricks:

1. Get the platinum pass if you love roller coasters - it not only gets you into Cedar Point, but also 12 other amusement parks around the US and Canada including Kings Island, Carowinds, and Canada's Wonderland. You get some of the same perks as staying on site including early entry into the park
2. Camp at Bayshore Estates which is the Sandusky KOA. 5 minute drive to CP using the back road or 10 minutes using the main causeway
3. Starting June 10, park is open 10am-10pm during the week and will be quieter than the weekends.

I'm personally camping on site this trip but have stayed at Bayshore in the past. There's another campground on one of the islands but not sure what the ferry schedule is like.

OP: Can you tell me what the cost is to enter Cedar Park now?
I used to live in Ohio, and went there as a teenager in the 60's and 70's. I know, I know, it was dirt cheap back then, and with only one huge wooden coaster. I remember they had the gondolas too. I was just curious as to the cost for a one day ticket on a non-holiday day? Thanks:)

don't ever buy your ticket at the gate - much cheaper online! I think they may be over $70 a day if you buy there? Of course, if you want fast lane or fast lane plus, that is all extra costs on top of the tickets as well. We're passholders so I'm not positive on the exact price. They do have a special right now where you can pay $45 a ticket.
We have the Platinum pass because we're also only 3 hours from Kings Island and then this year we are planning either Dorney Park or Carowinds for a long weekend trip.

OP: Can you tell me what the cost is to enter Cedar Park now?
I used to live in Ohio, and went there as a teenager in the 60's and 70's. I know, I know, it was dirt cheap back then, and with only one huge wooden coaster. I remember they had the gondolas too. I was just curious as to the cost for a one day ticket on a non-holiday day? Thanks:)

don't ever buy your ticket at the gate - much cheaper online! I think they may be over $70 a day if you buy there? Of course, if you want fast lane or fast lane plus, that is all extra costs on top of the tickets as well. We're passholders so I'm not positive on the exact price. They do have a special right now where you can pay $45 a ticket.
We have the Platinum pass because we're also only 3 hours from Kings Island and then this year we are planning either Dorney Park or Carowinds for a long weekend trip.

It's $73 a day. If you buy now it's $45. I get the Platinum Pass because I live 30 minutes from Wonderland and only 5 hours from CP if I wanted to visit for a day or two.

@Funfire240 Carowinds is awesome! I stopped on the way home from the Fort back in 2015. Loved it!

I stopped at McDonalds yesterday and got a tea and the cup had a code for $33 off CP admission, like others have said it pays to buy tickets in advance. Last time we went we bought them at Meijer at a discount. When I was a kid a trip to CP was the highlight of the summer, its just a little over 3 hrs from home.

Great information!!! I have been looking at this as a possible and wondered what the costs where.

We decided not to go this year. The timing was not working out for us. So we are going someplace new for us called OBX :D So we are looking forward to that trip.

The beach is nice even though we aren't really beach people. The waves are higher there as you are technically farther out into the ocean at that point. Our ds & fam. live at Kill Devil Hills and own a car service business there. We go to see them, but don't always go over to the beach - approx. 1/2 mi. from his house. They live on the sound side. Wright Brothers National Memorial and Jockey's Ridge St. Pk. are nice.

We're going end of July and staying at Camp Sandusky. Haven't stayed there before but it looks nice. $65 for two nights (tent) vs. almost $600 at the Breakers.

If you can find travel brochures they usually have good coupons in them.

A travel guide called Lake Erie Shores and Islands I believe has coupons and can be mailed. (I believe that's the one I received with CP discounts)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts