celebrating anniversary?

carolina_yankee

DIS Veteran
My partner and I will be celebrating our 13th anniversary with a 7 day cruise and then a week at WDW (as brand new DVC members - our first joint purchase!). Have any of you officially noted an anniversary on your reservations or at one of the restuarants? I'm wondering how Disney might handle it. . .

Hey there Dirk (GREAT name. "Hi, my name is DIRK."

Yep, Joe and I celebrated our 13th anniversary and our 15th anniversary while in WDW. And we noted it on our reservation. The response to our 13th was really nice. We were staying at the Boardwalk and they sent up a platter with a chocolate "picture" and frame, surrounded by chocolate covered strawberries with a nice congratulatory note.

At our 15th, not as much happened, but a cast member friend took us backstage as a surprise. She arranged a meet and greet to see the cast of the Lion King show. It was sooo awesome! What even surprised me more was that, to introduce us to the gang, she announced rather loudly, "Hey guys! These are my friend, Rick and Joe, from NYC. They're here to celebrate the 15TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!" Coulda knocked me over with a feather that she was so open about it. I didn't mind though. Especially lwhen the cast started clapping, hooting, hollering, hugging, shaking hands and cheering. It really made our trip that much more exciting!

You never know what can and very well might happen on your trip. Let anyone/everyone know about it! And celebrate!

I haven't done an anniversary, but did my 50th down at WDW. Had a whole group of friends who came down for the occassion. I had my birthday dinner party at Jiko's in AKL. It was a great experience and the CMs were all great, considering we were a HUGE table of gay men, who had a considerable number of cocktails!

After that experience, next year we're considering doing our 20th anniversary down there.

Hey, Dirk, are you a priest? I'm a minister and, yes, my partner and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in August with a 10-day stay at AKL. We've already been in conversation with Don of the concierge staff and he's been terrific about the special touches I want to add. In fact, he went out of his way to inquire about who my partner was and what was her name!

Thanks, everyone, for the replies - I'm going to have the anniversary noted on our reservation at the Boardwalk and for dinner on May 9 at Jiko's. I imagined Disney would be OK, but I just wanted some firsthand reports.

Our first 'out' experience at Disney was introducing my partner when I made it to the hotseat in Millionaire. Everyone's applause was pretty cool.

RickinNYC - Yeah, Dirk can be fun name. I'm certainly German enough for it!! Backstage at Festival of the Lion King - that's great. We ended up seeing that show about 4 times in one week during one visit.

iankh - congrats on your 50th and upcoming 20th. We decided on Jiko for our anniversary dinner. We've eaten at Boma several times, and have stayed at AKL, but never eaten at Jiko. We'll need the 4 days between cruise and dinner to save room for great food!

Viki - we're both Episcopal preists. Jim's congregation is in South Philly, and mine is Trenton. If I recall from other posts, you're Lutheran? I used to be in Germantown. I almost wonder if we ever met?

I have to share an amusing story with Mickey that resulted in the picture in our signature.

We often travel with our best friend Leslie. She's such an extrovert and so close to us, it really confuses people who wonder about our relationships. Especially since she'll finish our sentences or answer for us. Is she my wife, Jim's wife, or what? :rotfl2:

Anway, Jim and Leslie had decided to buy a pair of Mickey Mouse ear studs and each wear one. At Chef Mickey's, Mickey noticed them, and pointed to Jim and Leslie asking if they were a couple. We said "Nooooo." He then pointed to Leslie and me, again "Noooo." Finally, he scratched his head and pointed at Jim and me and we all said, "yes!" He made the OK sign with thumb and forefinger, and then posed for the picture. I hope Minnie wasn't watching . . . But then again, she came up later and gave Jim a big smooch, too.

Cheers!

carolina_yankee said:
Anway, Jim and Leslie had decided to buy a pair of Mickey Mouse ear studs and each wear one. At Chef Mickey's, Mickey noticed them, and pointed to Jim and Leslie asking if they were a couple. We said "Nooooo." He then pointed to Leslie and me, again "Noooo." Finally, he scratched his head and pointed at Jim and me and we all said, "yes!" He made the OK sign with thumb and forefinger, and then posed for the picture.

What I great story!! That one really made me smile... Thanks for sharing! I'll be retelling that one to my partner when she gets home from work tonight. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!