Celebrating my 30th Disney style - Complete and Picture heavy!

ShellB8585

DIS Veteran
:welcome:
Hi Everyone!! Welcome to my PTR to become a TR when we go but I’m so excited and in full planning mode I wanted to start sharing the planning now!!

:wave2: Welcome along for the journey.

Please do say hi if you stop by!

Table of Contents:

This is the tale of our trip to Disneyland Paris for my 30th Birthday and also to celebrate my brothers 28th which is a few days before we actually go. Our Itinerary is:
04-May - Make the 4 hour journey from Somerset to Dover :drive:
05-May - Ferry from Dover 06:40 should arrive at the hotel around midday, pick up our park tickets, Lunch at Annette's Diner, few hours at the parks
06-May - Train to Paris for a day of exploration
07-May - Friends are joining us today. EMH at Disneyland, Over to Studios until close then back to DL - Dinner at Silver Spur Steakhouse. Dreams?
08-May - My actual Birthday!! We are all booked for a character breakfast at Café Mickey 08:00 a day at the Disneyland park with a late lunch / early dinner at Blue Lagoon. second chance at Dreams
09-May - Disney day doing things we may not have had the chance to or really loved
10-May - Morning in Disney (get our use out of those tickets!!) and then Ferry from Calais at 17:55
Trip reports on Disboards have gotten me through some long dull days at work. Reading them on my lunch breaks always cheers me up so I hope I can return the favour with this one.

Let me introduce you to our cast –
Myself, Shelley, celebrating my 30th with a trip to Disneyland Paris and a Disneyland CA with Panama Canal Disney Cruise October/November this year – TR will follow. Love everything Disney and have visited DLP twice and whilst it is no WDW it’s Disney and you can’t go wrong with Disney!

I was going to say something cheesy for Hubby like “my very own prince charming” but when I told him he pulled this weird face :crazy2: :confused3 Besides – he’s more Grumpy than Charming ;). He is Carl who thoroughly supports my Disney addiction. He will try to play it cool at times but don’t let him fool you - he’s as addicted as I am ;). He isn'’t as in love with DLP as I am, it doesn’t hold the same magic as WDW or DCL but he is going for me :goodvibes I have had to promise no DLP for a few years after though (I crossed my fingers ;))!

Here’s a photo of us on our first cruise in 2012:

We scrub up quite nicely I think

My Brother Luke also loves Disney, he has visited DLP twice before but pre Disney Studios so he is excited to see the changes! It was also as school trips so not the same as a proper Holiday.

The final 2 people who make up this cast are my parents. They LOVE trips to Florida and all that entails. They have never been to DLP and rarely travel to Europe (I don’t recall them doing it in my lifetime!) So for this trip we are taking them out of their comfort zone a little. I am so very happy they agreed to come along!

Here’s a pic of them at WDW last year:

There are a few others who I really wanted to have join us on this trip but the main 2 were my little sister and her hubby to be. Unfortunately as they are getting married in September they didn'’t have the funds. Hopefully they can join us in a future TR ;)

Two of mine and DHs closest friends are also joining us. They came to DLP with us in 2011 and we have also been on a few snowboarding trips together amongst other things. They can’t come for the whole week as they don’t have enough holiday with a honeymoon to go on later this year. I have not yet asked their permission to add pics of them or info to my TR so for now we will refer to them as FriendG and FriendS

The 5 of us will be staying at the Hotel Cheyenne which I think my dad is most excited about– He’s always wanted to stay on Disney property (they opt for the freedom of Villas in Florida)!! We took a little while to decide between here and Davy Crockett Ranch Where DH and I have stayed with our friends before. Cheyenne won out as it means no driving to the parks so more birthday cocktails!!

:drinking1party::drinking1

Our friends are staying at Santa Fe Wed 6th until Sun 10th

We booked through the Walt Disney Travel company – Same prices as booking through the official Disneyland Paris website but you can pay a deposit then final payment 10 weeks out rather than it all upfront which worked out easiest overall. We booked early July 2014 as I always like to book as early as possible then I spend the wait planning and rearranging and getting best deals on travel etc etc.

Me, Carl and Luke had decided early on that we wanted to drive :drive: – I love the drive from Calais to Paris, and this way I have plenty of room for lots of souvenirs ;) but my Dad and Mum were considering flying but eventually came around to driving.

Sorry this introduction is a little wordy but there will be an abundance of photos as the report goes on I promise :coffee:!! I will leave you for now as I don't want to overload you! park times will be realeased next week so will have a better idea of plans :cool1:

Last edited:
I'm in :cool1:
Love a big birthday trip I had my 40th there last year ;)
Oh the swing into spring looks fab I'm well jel !!

I'm in too! sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate the big 3-0! And a wonderful way to spend some time with family & friends.

Hi to you both :wave2:

I am excited about the swing into spring event, It was fantastic when we went in October in 2011, loved seeing how they decorated the park for halloween so I'm looking forward to seeing it done for spring!!

Not so excited that it looks as though space mountain is going to be closed - one of my faves BUT it's not the end of the world!

Anyone have any experience with crowds first week of May? It doesn't matter as we're going its booked and paid for but I do love being prepared!

As the ferry is booked for 06:40:scared1: on the Tuesday we have booked to stay at the Premier inn Dover on Monday night. This means we can take our sweet time going up to Dover Monday and we wont have to get up too early on Tuesday. By my reckoning we'll be at Hotel Cheyenne just after midday providing we don't have to stop. This means we get a potential 10 hours of park time!!

I'm beginning to feel like I'm missing something with my plans :confused:
  • Transport - check
  • Accommodation - check
  • Tickets - check
  • other Disneyholics - check
  • :confused::confused::confused:

I suppose I do have a little time to worry about that "thing" whatever it may be.

It's my understanding you can book restaurants 60 days out, is that correct?

I am in 2 minds about my birthday evening meal. I don't want it to be hugely expensive - everyone is already spending a lot to come and celebrate with me and I just don't know where's best to go. I love the idea of Blue Lagoon, the location etc etc my only concern is DH can't stand seafood! I should look out a menu really but is there a good amount of meat dishes on the menu too?

Have to leave you now but will be back soon. If I'm not back on today have a great weekend!!

I think the 8th may is a public holiday in France. :-O

Swing into spring is FABULOUS! you'll love it. it was a real high for me on our trip last may.

Blue Lagoon is great too. Gorgeous food and fantastic theming. don't forget to order a birthday cake! The chicken Colombo dish is supposed to be good. I had surf n turf...veal and lobster. It was delicious.

I just checked...yes 8th may is 'Victory in Europe' Day. It's not a statutory public holiday (there's only one of those - 1st May) but a lot of people have the day off.

And you're right about the 60 days...but it's not really necessary. A few weeks should suffice. An early dinner will give you a better chance of a table by the water in BL.

Welcome ExpatDisneyLover!!

Thank you dhidra! I ordered a cake when I booked :-) which reminds me - I need to call WDTC and ask them to link the reservations!

I had a feeling May 8th was a public holiday in France, I knew it was VE day, so I think I will book at least that meal in advance especially as we'll need a table for 7. As we're going to Cafe Mickey for breakfast (and we can fill up ;)) I am thinking a late lunch/ early dinner around 3:30/4 then we wont need lunch too.

Good to know an early booking will increase chances of sitting next to the water pixiedust: thank you :goodvibes

Surf and turf sounds divine! I think we have a birthday dinner winner!! now to get the others agree - I'm sure it wont be too hard ;)

New hand luggage has arrived which I figure will be enough each for this trip. I thought I'd share as I think it's pretty cute! (I did contemplate the cases on the Disney website but these were quarter of the price so no contest really!)

Well I say enough for this trip, what i really mean is enough for our clothes - need to save boot space for all of those souvenirs i plan on bringing home ;)

I am on a mission to get DH to watch all of the Disney films he hasn't seen before - there is a long list and he should be ashamed! Basil the great mouse detective tonight

I am in 2 minds about my birthday evening meal. I don't want it to be hugely expensive - everyone is already spending a lot to come and celebrate with me and I just don't know where's best to go. I love the idea of Blue Lagoon, the location etc etc my only concern is DH can't stand seafood! I should look out a menu really but is there a good amount of meat dishes on the menu too?

Hi Shell. I loved Blue Lagoon. It's one of the restaurants you can do a la carte at so I think it's perfect for a special birthday meal but still keeping costs down. Everyone can order a main course and then dessert is the birthday cake to share. At the set meal restaurants you have to all have 3 courses and then nobody has room for a birthday cake as well.

These are the non fish main course choices - I would love to try the rack of lamb.

Fillet of grilled beef (approx. 250 g) ... €35.99
and Sichuan pepper sauce, served with cassava chips and sautéed vegetables

"Caribbean" chicken colombo ... €24.99
served with fragrant rice and roasted plantain

Pork tenderloin with honey and spices ... €29.99
served with sweet potato mash and sautéed vegetables

Roast rack of lamb ... €29.99
Jamaican old rum sauce, served with sweet potato mash

Wow, o_O Disboards has changed a bit from last week! I think this is going to take some getting use to but hopefully it's for the better!?!

Thank you for the info Anemone! I can already guess what DH will order - rack of lamb!! Also good point about it being a la carte - definitely the best option. I pre booked the cake when i made the booking, will I be able to say I want it at BL when I call to make our reservation Or is that something I do on check in does anyone know?

Wow, o_O Disboards has changed a bit from last week! I think this is going to take some getting use to but hopefully it's for the better!?!

Thank you for the info Anemone! I can already guess what DH will order - rack of lamb!! Also good point about it being a la carte - definitely the best option. I pre booked the cake when i made the booking, will I be able to say I want it at BL when I call to make our reservation Or is that something I do on check in does anyone know?

Yes, tell them when you make the reservation but also remind them when you arrive at the restaurant. Really hope you love it. :)

Thank you Anemone!

The first day of the park hours have been released and as Mum and Dad have never been before I think we will have to head straight to the Main park. So I think for that day the plan will be get up between 05:30 - 06:00 head over to the Ferry port. Ferry at 0640 arriving Calais 09:10 with breakfast onboard Or from Burger King at the port. It's a 3 hour drive to DLP and I don't imagine we'll need to stop so as long as we don't hit any heavy traffic I am expecting to be at the hotel just after midday. When we'll Head in and try our luck at checking in - I know check in isn't until 3 but it's always worth trying ;). If we can't check in we'll pick up the park tickets and head to Disney Village for lunch at Annettes Diner - a first day tradition DH and I decided to start last time we went - before going to the park for a couple hours.

Where we will walk straight down the middle of Mainstreet USA whilst singing the song that means I've arrived in my happy place!! I was looking for a photo I had taken and found this one:

I realise I need to introduce you to Harry (the monkey bottom right) as he will most likely pop up in a few pics. He became a family mascot of sorts back in 2009 when we realised all our WDW photos looked the same (often with the same clothes) so we wanted to do something a little different. We chose a teddy and decided to take him to travel the world with us. One day, when we have children, we'll make up books/stories for them telling the tales of Harrys travels from the pictures.

We will do a few rides and have a wander before heading back to the hotel to check in around 4/5 o'clock. we'll spend a little time putting our stuff in the room then I am expecting DH, DB and myself will head back to the park for mum and dad to meet us later (I may be wrong - we could all go together or decide to chill out a bit). I expect we'll have a QS dinner whenever/wherever the mood takes us. With the early start I am half expecting we wont make it until 22:30 but that's fine as we have all week to be there at night and since Studios closes earlier we will have plenty of opportunity!!

Hi Guys! Sorry to be MIA for so long! this year is getting so busy and so many things to plan it has been hard to keep up with these 2 reports! I was supposed to be out overhauling the garden this weekend but the weather looks like this (it's currently the best it's been all day)

So I thought I would put on the DLP main street music loop from YouTube and finally catch up with some planning and think of the happy sunny times ahead!

I have only just realised it's only 2 weeks until I can make any ADRs we may want. On our first visit we stayed at Davy Crockett so had a couple meals in the lodge and our second visit we were only there 2 nights and I can't for the life of me remember where we had our main meal other than Annette's Diner on our first day. We are definitely going to be eating at Annette's Diner on our first day again this year and Blue Lagoon on Friday for my birthday.

Are there any really MUST visit restaurants you would recommend trying out? we effectively have 3 more main meals to have at the resort and i am very conscious of how much everyone is spending to join DH and myself on this trip so I don't necessarily want too many expensive meals. Also any recommendations for quick service? I am mostly thinking quality here, any place better than the others? We have eaten in Cafe Hyperion a few times so definitely want to try out somewhere new!!

The opening times are out for the whole stay Disneyland 08:00-22:30 and Disney Studios 10:00-19:00. I LOVE those extra magic hours and whilst I don't know about anyone else I will definitely be at the park at 8am at least a couple days. one day may only be to take my camera in to get lot's of pictures for this TR :goodvibes

Talking of pictures I have just bought myself a couple little treats for this years holidays (I know I know as if I need more treats!!)

I have enjoyed very amateur photography for sometime so thought I would take the next step camera wise. My Dad wont go on rides like Rock n roller Coaster so he can hold them then. The point and shoot is more for later in the year when DH and I will be riding everything so may not want to carry the big one around all day. I have been trying out a little this morning (with the horrible weather outside it has been of the work we've done on the house) whilst most of it is a little dull for people who don't know us or haven't been here I thought you may all appreciate our work in progress guest room:

I'm fairly certain this is going to become one of my favourite rooms when the house is finished!!

Dhidra hope you had a great time? I am going to go catch up on your TR now!

Cheerio for now :wave2:

Hi, we share the same birthday :] Wish I was spending mine at DLRP and I think I would pick Blue Lagoon too, so I will think of you on May 8th celebrating yours in style. Funnily enough our upcoming trip in July is for a 30th....not mine, but my cousin. I'll follow your trip report with interest :] Kx

Welcome bonhoga! I will think of you on 8th May and will have a drink in your honour - what's your fave?

Well apart from a very nice merlot they did this cocktail last year I think it was kir royal and champagne. All the bars seemed to have it; and it had it's own full page in their price booklets.....failing that a mojito seems appropriate in the Blue Lagoon. Our last two trips the Blue Lagoon has been our favourite meal. Kx

Trying to think of something really special to surprise my cousin while we are there, so if you think of anything either before you go, or while you are there, I would really appreciate some inspiration :] Kx

All of those sound good to me I will definitely have something!

Good question about something special. I must admit for me the most special thing will be having my family and friends there, and that they would make the effort! I am gutted my sister and future brother in law can't join us though :sad1: . Another thing I am doing is eating at Blue Lagoon, as we haven't before it feels like a real treat. Also ordering a birthday cake. From planning I haven't found much more but if I see anything whilst we're there I will definitely let you know!

Hi! Would highly recommend Inventions for an evening meal - best buffet by miles and characters! Or Walts - beautiful food. Both not cheap though, so check your budget. Have you looked through the restaurants and menus on dlpguide.com?? It's my bible!! lol

C x

Thank you cdsmiler81! I have been looking at dlpguide.com a lot. Personally I would be happy eating at every single restaurant BUT I have 6 other people to think of and I am very conscious of choosing restaurants where everyone will like something and that is affordable for all. I am currently working on DH for a trip just the 2 of us staying at DLH next year sometime so I will try out more then and wont be so worried about pricing ;) However, you will have to wish me luck on this if you remember what I said in that first post?o_O

Yes that's right - 8 weeks today we'll be on our first vacation day. I know it is only a travel day BUT as far as I am concerned as soon as I leave my house I will be on holiday so that is what I count down to!!!

This also means ADRs have opened up right up to my birthday so I have been busy deciding and booking today.

Food plans - I have booked us into the restaurant at the Premier Inn Dover at 19:00 on the Monday. I figured it gives us plenty of time to get there and chill out, by eating at the hotel we wont have to worry about finding somewhere etc when we need an early night. Then Tuesday we will be driving down to Paris :cloud9: lunch at Annette's Diner then evening whatever takes our fancy, not sure where we will want to be - maybe at the park or at the hotel so wont book anything. Wednesday we're in Paris for the day and I am anticipating dinner at Hard Rock Cafe. Thursday no plans during the day but we have booked Silver Spur Steakhouse for evening meal with all 7 of us. Friday we're all having Breakfast at Cafe Mickeys and I have booked a table at Blue Lagoon for 15:30. No plans for Sat/Sun but I may try and get a meal at Walts if I can fit it in.

@Carrie_Cat uploaded a picture earlier (I hope you don't mind my stealing it?)

Now I LOVE a burger and a burger topped with breaded Brie?? :worship:

So I will definitely be making a visit to The Lucky Nugget Saloon at some point! I have also been looking at all the swing into spring pictures that have been uploaded. It all looks fantastic and I am getting so excited!

One thing I would like to ask - do any of you have any experience with the Photo experience? I have downloaded the app and set up an account on the website but would be interested to know of anyone's first hand experience?

TTFN

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!