Cell phone for 11 year old

My kids get up when I go wake them up. They do have alarm clocks in their rooms though.

How do you know what time it is when you wake up in the middle of the night if you don't have an alarm clock in the room? You grope around in the dark for your phone and then have to pick it up and look? That sounds terrible.
I have a clock that projects the time up onto the ceiling so that I don't even have to roll over to see what time it is when I wake up. That is luxury. Or maybe I just wake up too many times in the middle of the night!

It's rare I wake up in the middle of the night I would say once in a blue moon and my phone is on the floor next to me

My daughter began middle school at 11 as well and that's when she got her 1st cell phone. It was a flip phone for calls and texts, no data. She had to get on a bus for the 1st time and come home to an empty house as we were still at work. The phone was for my convenience and piece of mind.

Our twins have had phones since they were 7, and our oldest was 10. At first, they were just the basic smartphones that were free when we signed up with Cricket. Now they have nicer Androids. Not top of the line but decent.

Maybe we're different, but we don't have parental controls on them, except that any purchases they make are routed through our account of course. But if you want to use them, I think even the most basic phones had them if I remember.

Which phone?
I just have not really looked in to much of this. I believe they have smartphones that parents can manage. Turn off from their phone and also see and block certain things. I don't mind a smart phone as long as It has some sort of parental controls.

I have an iphone 7 that she could have i guess but only if i am able to use parental controls. I would like her to be able to download apps just not social media apps. She is way too young for that.

My kid even at 15 has no interest in social media. Not something I really worry about.

I’m not a fan of phones for kids. My grandson who is 17 us obsessed and if I had control he wouldn’t have it. That said we have Verizon. If you got him a phone with Verizon you can easily block any calls or texts except to trusted numbers, turn off internet access etc

My son has had a smart phone for years, we bought him an iphone 6. I didn't let him have it in his room at night for the longest time, but now I don't care because he leaves it alone. He is unlike a lot of kids I see that are completely glued to it. I know some girls...they never stop staring at themselves. lol He has no social media accounts because he has no interest in them. He does play a MMO though on the computer.

I may be mistaken, but one consideration for an Iphone is that you would still be paying for data privileges from your provider even if you block them on the phone. I think it may depend on your data plan. But, it is something to consider. You might research other options if cost is a factor.

My daughter began middle school at 11 as well and that's when she got her 1st cell phone. It was a flip phone for calls and texts, no data. She had to get on a bus for the 1st time and come home to an empty house as we were still at work. The phone was for my convenience and piece of mind.
Yes this is mainly what her phone will be for my peace of mind.
Maybe we're different, but we don't have parental controls on them, except that any purchases they make are routed through our account of course. But if you want to use them, I think even the most basic phones had them if I remember.
Yes i would agree. We are different. DD is involved in different activities like soccer and girl scouts and half the girls have phones. I see and hear a lot of things at these practices and meetings. I have talked with parents of the girls that have the phones and not all but some have issues with the phone and their kids. Most of the issues have to do with social media.

It might also have to do with the fact that I had DD at a young age and i have teen siblings and I am very much aware of the tricks and apps and other things kids do to hide things from their parents. DD and I have a great relationship and we talk about everything. The things i find out about other kids and things they say and do :oops:. Trust me the kids hiding things are not usually the ones you expect.

I know i can trust her with a smartphone and to use it only when she has to. At the same time i am very much aware that she is growing up and she will not be telling me evvvverything and thats ok, but i also know and have seen how much social media can affect young kids and I do not see the need to expose her to that at this age.

I am a bit over protective as my family and friends say lol. I am definitely a cool mom just not "the cool mom".

I may be mistaken, but one consideration for an Iphone is that you would still be paying for data privileges from your provider even if you block them on the phone. I think it may depend on your data plan. But, it is something to consider. You might research other options if cost is a factor.
Most phone plans include data these days. Even simple flip phones are capable of accessing the web. Other than a strict emergency line number I can’t remember that last time I saw a plan without data. If the OP has a family plan the fee/charge for the phone will auto include data.

I’m not a fan of phones for kids. My grandson who is 17 us obsessed and if I had control he wouldn’t have it. That said we have Verizon. If you got him a phone with Verizon you can easily block any calls or texts except to trusted numbers, turn off internet access etc
Sounds like someone who doesn't have an active child at home. When I was growing up, I didn't need a cell phone. But of course there were pay phones close by pretty much every where. So, activity is done? Hit the pay phone. You don't have that option any longer. And speaking for just myself, I don't want my child relying on using friends' phones every time.

Last edited:

Again I am a adult but as soon as I get my stantma (sp) back just had surgery a month ago I use my phone to listen to audio books and just walk a circle while I wait for my next gym session

Again I am a adult but as soon as I get my stantma (sp) back just had surgery a month ago I use my phone to listen to audio books and just walk a circle while I wait for my next gym session
This is a good point. My kids phones also take the place of an MP3 player (or CD/Cassette player depending on your age). They also like audiobooks. Not so much digital books though. They still prefer paperbacks but I imagine as their lives get busier they’ll use digital for convenience like their big sister.

I've been thinking about getting a phone for DD10. Just one she can phone & text , probably a pay as you go type thing. No data but maybe wifi. She has an Amazon Fire Tablet if she wants to play games on. This will solely for keeping in contact with us or her grandparents. I do have an old iPhone 5 I lent to my FIL until he upgraded his phone. If it's not a brick I may reset it and give it to DD. If she can keep it for a year without damaging it of losing it I may think about upgrading it after.

Wow, reading this makes me feel like Lucy Liberal. Mine have had smartphones since they were in 3rd grade. the oldest will be a sophomore in college and the youngest a senior in high school. Both are fabulous kids, good students, exceptional athletes and just two of my favorite people. Getting a kid a smartphone will not make the sky fall.

I understand that I am a adult but how do you your kids get up on time I use my phone alarm clock when I have to be up by a certain time vrs a alarm clock less clutter
LOL. Our chronic over sleepers at work use their cell phone as their phone and alarm clock. Phone left in another room, dead battery, ringer off, etc, and guess what, if their only phone is useless, you can't wake them up when they oversleep.
One did just bundle his internet/cable and a free landline was part of the deal. Work is the only place that has the number and the landline is on his nightstand. But that was less about oversleeping than about a family emergency he had recently where his phone and his wife's phone, unbeknownst to them, had dead batteries and they couldn't be reached until their kids school had the police go by their house.

We just upgraded our phones, and apparently there is still strong demand for flip phones. Verizon rep said they are very popular with people getting phones for their kids, or for their parents, or as an additional phone that will slip into a pocket or purse without the bulk of a smartphone.
I actually work with two people who have 3 cell phones. 1 company phone, one for outgoing personal calls, and one for incoming personal calls.

Most phone plans include data these days. Even simple flip phones are capable of accessing the web. Other than a strict emergency line number I can’t remember that last time I saw a plan without data. If the OP has a family plan the fee/charge for the phone will auto include data.

I have a prepaid phone with no data, but being a smartphone a WiFi connection is all I need. I don’t need to be that connected on a regular basis (especially since we aren’t allowed to use personal phones at work). I can’t think of a smartphone that wouldn’t have WiFi access even if a parent found a plan without data. It really depends on the child. If the child wants to work around parental controls, they and their friends will probably figure out a way to do it with, or without, a data connection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!