"cellphones for dummies"

Dazer22

Mouseketeer
I have a cell phone which I only use locally in my city. Will I be able to bring it to Florida and make local calls or can I receive local calls in Florida without being charged long distance ?

Please excuse my "techo" ignorance. :confused3

If you have a pre-paid phone the answer is no, you can not use it in FL. If you have a contracted phone with monthly service yes, you can use it in FL. However, the long distance and roaming charges are insane. So unless your service provider has a plan that will let you use the phone in the US, don't use it. You will need to contact your provider to add such a plan.

You might be able to text with minimal extra cost, but again you need to check with your provider. That would only apply if you have a regular plan, not a pre-paid.

A lot of people, myself included, get US pre-paid phones to use while there. You can get the phone with minutes for around $20.

Thanks so much for that information. :)

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum page.
Lots of good info. here.
We have gone the tracfone route in the past, and will be getting two for our upcoming October trip.:)

Would this be a good deal for a few calls in Disney?

Do you think they would ship to the resort?

Yes this would have been a good deal for you, but it end back in Feb. It was a holiday promo. I was trying for that deal but it ended the week before I left.
Some people report that these phones with 9.99 airtime are available at Walmart in Fl., but the best I found down there was a $19.99 phone with $10 airtime included. Virgin Mobile superstore in DTD sells phones, if they are still in biz, were/are rumoured to be closing. If you order off the Virgin site they will accept a Can. credit card or Paypal,but you can,t top up with a Can. credit care. You will need to go to the website or buy a top up card down there(availabe anywhere). Virgin will ship to the resort check the sticky at the top of this forum for the details of how others have addressed to the resorts.

Would this be a good deal for a few calls in Disney?

Do you think they would ship to the resort?

Yes this would have been a good deal for you, but it end back in Feb. It was a holiday promo. I was trying for that deal but it ended the week before I left.
Some people report that these phones with 9.99 airtime are available at Walmart in Fl., but the best I found down there was a $19.99 phone with $10 airtime included. Virgin Mobile superstore in DTD sells phones, if they are still in biz, were/are rumoured to be closing. If you order off the Virgin site they will accept a Can. credit card or Paypal,but you can,t top up with a Can. credit care. You will need to go to the website or buy a top up card down there(availabe anywhere). Virgin will ship to the resort check the sticky at the top of this forum for the details of how others have addressed to the resorts.

The Virgin store will be closing at the end of May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter