Central Park “Karen”

I don't know if I've told my experience while shopping with an African American co-worker. I worked on 34th Street until 2014. My co-worker and I would shop on our lunch hour. She'd be dressed in professional clothes while I was usually in jeans and a solid color tee shirt. (our workplace was very casual) She'd be wearing dressy shoes while I had sneakers on. I am blonde with blue eyes. We shopped in a small dress store but would separate to shop in different departments. On many occasions, I watched the store "undercover" security follow her around while they ignored me. If I remember correctly, it was a Strawberry's - remember them? Nothing fancy, but I guess they had to deal with shop lifters a lot. But they profiled her without a doubt.

after high school (2001) I worked at old navy. Shoplifting was always an issue and always a topic at morning meetings.

one morning we come in and gather for our morning meeting. the manager starts telling us how they arrested 3 shoplifters the night before. She goes on to say “these weren’t your typical shoplifters. These were all American boys.”

me and the only other person of color employee just looked at each other with those eyes.

the manager and every single other manager and employee didn’t skip a beat. It was as if this was accepted and normal.

I’ve never been followed around a department store (that I’ve noticed) but I have been asked if I’m sure I could afford something or told straight out that I could not afford something.

Made into NY laws today:

1.Nicknamed the "Amy Cooper" Law: Prohibits making false race-based 911 calls.
^^ I have to say, when I saw this a did a little happy dance!

Ha! She may be convicted by the very law informally nicknamed after her that helped to create. :lmao: :worship:

Ha! She may be convicted by the very law informally nicknamed after her that helped to create. :lmao: :worship:
Nah. That would be ex post facto. But of course it's pretty obvious that she filed a false report and is being charged with that.

Nah. That would be ex post facto. But of course it's pretty obvious that she filed a false report and is being charged with that.

Aw, I wondered that. I had hoped I was incorrect. :(

Nice press coverage for the politician. Let's see what the final outcome is...and don't expect much.

I'm guessing community service, although if I were Amy Cooper I would have already moved out of NYC.

Which politician do you mean?

I'm guessing Cy Vance. He's been in public office before, but New York County DA was his first political office. In any case it's a slam dunk for filing a false report. She'd be stupid to fight it when it's likely she gets no jail time.

I'm guessing Cy Vance. He's been in public office before, but New York County DA was his first political office. In any case it's a slam dunk for filing a false report. She'd be stupid to fight it when it's likely she gets no jail time.
Right, Vance.

So now Amy Cooper is suing her former employer for firing her - claiming racial discrimination.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/nyregion/amy-cooper-suing-racial-discrimination.html
I hate to say it, but that's probably going to happen more and it can be that in some cases it is justified.
With so many 'Karen'-cases, there must be some that must be true, statistically. And second with so many cases, I can see it happening that people will dismiss all cases as true and companies take actions because they think/fear they are true.

Side note, I hadn't heard of this case yet and when I read the name Amy Cooper, my first thought was that it was about Amy Cooper-Farrah Fowler from the Big Bang Theory (any one else?, also because I can see Sheldon Cooper making a fuss about unleashed dogs ;-) )

Weren’t both incidents on the same day, Mem Day last year?
Quite close in dates sadly enough. I wonder what Mr. Cooper thinks about the missed opportunity of “Miss Amy”?

He’s not responsible for her life choices yet I suspect this action gives him some pause in a “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink“ manner. He’s giving no comment on her latest drama.

Last edited:
So now Amy Cooper is suing her former employer for firing her - claiming racial discrimination.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/nyregion/amy-cooper-suing-racial-discrimination.html

racial discrimination??? Wow that's a stretch.
Try you were a lying POS and you deserved everything that happened to you, in fact you deserved more.
Imagine if officers trying to get to the scene to help this woman in "distress"and had an accident and they were harmed or they harmed someone else.
She is a lying liar.

Well, anybody can file a lawsuit. Maybe she’s hoping her nuisance value will persuade her former company to offer a settlement. But the story says the company feels justified in firing her and will defend itself. Let’s hope so.

Well, anybody can file a lawsuit. Maybe she’s hoping her nuisance value will persuade her former company to offer a settlement. But the story says the company feels justified in firing her and will defend itself. Let’s hope so.
My thoughts follow yours on both sides. The cynicism of the lawsuit as it relates to her emotional state and that of the company’s response.

I hate to say it, but that's probably going to happen more and it can be that in some cases it is justified.
With so many 'Karen'-cases, there must be some that must be true, statistically. And second with so many cases, I can see it happening that people will dismiss all cases as true and companies take actions because they think/fear they are true.

Side note, I hadn't heard of this case yet and when I read the name Amy Cooper, my first thought was that it was about Amy Cooper-Farrah Fowler from the Big Bang Theory (any one else?, also because I can see Sheldon Cooper making a fuss about unleashed dogs ;-) )

If you haven't been following this case, there was video. And if she was fired, it was based on the video. The guy who she called the police on was more snarky than anything else. She was agitated, but once she was on with the 911 operator, her voice completely changed as if she was specifically fearful of being under attack, and she emphasized that it was "an African-American man".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts