Ceramic space heater in a tent?

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
We are tent camping at FW for 2+weeks this Christmas. Will it be safe to use a regular ceramic space heater in our tent? Our tent is fully mesh on the top with a rainfly over it, which should help with ventilation.

Yes, perfectly safe. You don't need ventilation with electric space heaters, only with propane. Just keep it away from the tent wall or any other items that could get overheated or start fire. And, of course, use a heater that has tip over protection to turn it off if it gets knocked down. Basically, just the same safety measures as using one at home. I used to use one in our tent and had it a bit too close to the tent wall. While, it didn't start a fire, the tent always looked thinner in the area that the heat was highest after that. It never leaked, but I'm sure it did some kind of damage to shorten it's life.

We have a pop-up with no furnace and always use an oscillating electric space heater to heat. We live in Florida were not overly worried about the lack of a furnace. The space heater keeps us quite warm, and did in our tent as well.

Oh perfect. I wasn't sure and remembered reading dire warnings about using heaters in tents. This will be really helpful for our Christmas trip.

Hmmm...we are planning a tent camping trip for Easter in an Ontario Provincial Park. Maybe I should get an electrical site and use the space heater :)

Never been something we have considered as we always get rustic non-electrical sites.

Just make sure it has the tip over option, its not the same as an overheat option.

Hmmm...we are planning a tent camping trip for Easter in an Ontario Provincial Park. Maybe I should get an electrical site and use the space heater :)
Maybe?! I don't think spring arrives up here until mid-June!

Maybe?! I don't think spring arrives up here until mid-June!

Haha...we know it will be cold. But we have done it before:) Just have to bundle up well. If it's rainy we'll take a pass though. Cold AND wet don't mix so well.

You can use a heater....but another option for you is an electric blanket. It can be enough to keep your entire tent warm.

I used to use a regular room space heater in my tent but moved to this small but mighty version that is also a non-heat cooling fan & will never go back. I'm always looking for maximum performance at the smallest space impact for gear.

https://www.amazon.com/PELONIS-Fan-...space+heater&qid=1555032930&s=gateway&sr=8-36

Sorry about the pricing. I think there's an error when it's closer to $15 than $150.

I have a very large tent that holds 2 queen air mattresses with standing/gear room in between and this one heater is plenty. It also serves as just a fan for those seasons where you need cooled in the day and heated at night.

Instead of an electric blanket, I use this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Cozy-Toes-Heated-Footwarmer/48931286

much smaller to pack and so versatile. I can lay it across under our feet if two of us sharing a bed, I can turn it lengthwise between 2 of us or I can turn it lengthwise for one person in their own bed. I also think it helps to heat from the bottom up, when the ground is cold.

I also can get a lot of bang for my buck (i.e. packing space) to take gloves, hats and thin but multiple clothing layers for warmth. I know this maybe sounds like overkill but I've literally been camping and had to scrape ice from my car window in the morning.

I used to use a regular room space heater in my tent but moved to this small but mighty version that is also a non-heat cooling fan & will never go back. I'm always looking for maximum performance at the smallest space impact for gear.

https://www.amazon.com/PELONIS-Fan-...space+heater&qid=1555032930&s=gateway&sr=8-36

Sorry about the pricing. I think there's an error when it's closer to $15 than $150.

I have a very large tent that holds 2 queen air mattresses with standing/gear room in between and this one heater is plenty. It also serves as just a fan for those seasons where you need cooled in the day and heated at night.

Instead of an electric blanket, I use this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Cozy-Toes-Heated-Footwarmer/48931286

much smaller to pack and so versatile. I can lay it across under our feet if two of us sharing a bed, I can turn it lengthwise between 2 of us or I can turn it lengthwise for one person in their own bed. I also think it helps to heat from the bottom up, when the ground is cold.

I also can get a lot of bang for my buck (i.e. packing space) to take gloves, hats and thin but multiple clothing layers for warmth. I know this maybe sounds like overkill but I've literally been camping and had to scrape ice from my car window in the morning.

Super useful ibfo - thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter