Chances WDW Haunted Mansion Finally Gets Holiday Makeover?

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
With Disney giving Pirates and Space Mountain a Halloween makeover this year, what are the chances we finally see Haunted Mansion get the Nightmare Before Christmas makeover that the DL version receives? Feels like wishful thinking, but I'm dying to see it...

i was able to see it this past November,I thought it was good but I think 4 months is a long time without the Classic attraction..glad that I was able to see it though

The theory I've always heard is that they won't ever do that type of overlay at WDW
Because WDW gets too many 1 time guest, of too many guests who don't visit often.
So they want those guests to see the classic attraction.
DL avg guest is different (so many more locals or frequent visitors) and they seem to concern themselves less with pleasing the 1 time guest.

The theory I've always heard is that they won't ever do that type of overlay at WDW
Because WDW gets too many 1 time guest, of too many guests who don't visit often.
DL avg guest is different (so many more locals or frequent visitors) and they seem to concern themselves less with pleasing the 1 time guest.
I’ve heard the same thing both from fan sites and CMs

Yeah, it's not that the overlay wouldn't be popular at MK, it's the down time required to change it and then change it back. DLR gets a ton of locals, so they don't mind such cycles, but the once-in-a-lifetime WDW vacationer it going to want to see the Haunted Mansion. It's such a major attraction and a classic that they can't take it offline like that every year, twice a year. The projection overlays are a great ides, especially in that they are just for the parties. With digital technology that has become so easy. Even the Ghost Galaxy and Hyperspace overlays at DLR take almost no time to switch in and out of. I do enjoy Haunted Mansion Holiday and The Nightmare Before Christmas, but I definitely prefer that they keep it to DLR.

It’s that and the fact that the attraction would have to be down for a significant amount of time each year to put up and take down the overlay.

I’m probably one of about 6 people on earth who despises A Nightmare Before Christmas.

My only trip to DL was in October. Not being able to enjoy the original HM bummed me out Sad Panda style.

I realize I’m in the minority but I’m ok with WDW HM remaining overlay free. Especially with the amount of down time it would take to complete.

I will say the addition to Space sounds neato mosquito. I hope it’s executed well.

Last edited:
The problem with holiday overlays is WHO wants them. It is probably the local or repeat guest.

What about the Disney guests who are there on their once in a lifetime or once every 3-4 year trip? They can't experience the original attraction simply because they decided to come during the holiday?

I'll take holiday decorations and shows throughout the parks, but I would think a holiday overlay like that (Haunted Mansion to Nightmare Before Christmas) changes the theme/tone of the attraction too much.

I’m probably one of about 6 people who on earth who despises A Nightmare Before Christmas.

I was not a fan of the movie until I saw the overlay at DLR. I wouldn't say I'm a big NBC fan but I watch it once a year between Halloween and Christmas. I thought the overlay was impressive, but there's no way I want that at WDW.

I can understand Disney being concerned with the one time guest thing, but otherwise would an overlay in the Florida park be that big of a deal? Disney puts rides under for worse things for longer periods of time. Capacity-wise, the Orlando resort could handle it better too, right? Whereas Anaheim has a smaller Magic Kingdom and only one other park to disperse guests that would otherwise be on the ride. I think the overlay could be great; I loved it when I went to the California park.

While I doubt there will be a HM overlay, I do wonder if some of the attractions might get a Christmas theme just for the parties. If they are doing it for the Hallowe'en parties, odds are they might try it for MVMCP, too...

I was able to see the overlay at DL and non-overlay at DL (and of course WDW). I agree the overlay is outstanding (and associated smell). But, I am on the fence about having WDW being offline for that period of time. In one sense, there are many other attractions in WDW to visit. But, for those visiting and are limiting the trip to MK, then it would be a huge disappointment.

I’m probably one of about 6 people on earth who despises A Nightmare Before Christmas.

...Especially with the amount of down time it would take to complete....

Blasphemer!!

Otherwise, I agree. Especially considering how busy the Autumn is anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter