Changes to The Key program

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
People are reporting that "The Key" complimentary lunch (Chop's grille) has been re-located to the MDR. They still serve Chop's Grille food but in the dining room.

I'm a little bit disappointed. Not gonna lie... I was hoping to experience Chop's Grille ambiance.

UPDATE: After experiencing The Key, just an FYI... You have to share a table with other guests. It can be nice but it also can be quite uncomfortable especially if you are shy people (or just very different from your table mates).

Last edited:
That’s awful, I agree!
We enjoyed chops lunch with the key and did it for dinner twice more with the specialty dine. But enjoyed our Park Central (?) forgot name, even more.
The atmosphere does play a part to a special meal.

That’s awful, I agree!
We enjoyed chops lunch with the key and did it for dinner twice more with the specialty dine. But enjoyed our Park Central (?) forgot name, even more.
The atmosphere does play a part to a special meal.

Sorry to read about the "down grade."

The only atmosphere that plays a part in any special dining for myself is that air is available in sufficient quantity to remain alive. Guess for me it's all about the food. :teeth:

Perhaps they increased the number of "The Key" available thereby making it necessary to move from Chop's Grille to the MDR? Either way seems bogus..

I think it depends on the ship. The ship I'm on was still in chops a few days ago.
Some ships dont have chops.

I think it depends on the ship. The ship I'm on was still in chops a few days ago.
Some ships dont have chops.

I don't know... So far, I have cruises planned on Mariner and Adventure and they are both sending their Key people to the MDR now.

We had the Key on Ovation. My confirmation said we could have lunch at CCHops or Jamies, but we were sent to the dining room. I will say that Chops is tiny! We were fine with lunch being in the main dining room. The food and service were great.

We had the Key on Ovation. My confirmation said we could have lunch at CCHops or Jamies, but we were sent to the dining room. I will say that Chops is tiny! We were fine with lunch being in the main dining room. The food and service were great.

Happy to know you've had a good experience!

Apparently they changed the location to be more efficient. My suspicion is they couldn't handle the demand in the Chops kitchen so moved it to MDR kitchens with a larger space and staff. I had read reports elsewhere that folks were in Chops for almost 2 hours for this lunch and were not happy. I wouldn't be, either!

I’m a little bummed by this but if the food is good I don’t care where we eat it at. I’d much rather have It be moved and efficient than sitting for two hours.

Apparently they changed the location to be more efficient. My suspicion is they couldn't handle the demand in the Chops kitchen so moved it to MDR kitchens with a larger space and staff. I had read reports elsewhere that folks were in Chops for almost 2 hours for this lunch and were not happy. I wouldn't be, either!
On our Freedom cruise in August, they were still using the Chops kitchen but the location was in the MDR.

On our Freedom cruise in August, they were still using the Chops kitchen but the location was in the MDR.

Did you find the Key was worth it on Freedom? Our Harmony sailing was supposed to leave 9/1 and that did not happen. We have a future cruise credit to use and are thinking about the ABC island sailing in May 2020. Would love to know what you thought about the Key on a non-Oasis class ship. Thanks!

Did you find the Key was worth it on Freedom? Our Harmony sailing was supposed to leave 9/1 and that did not happen. We have a future cruise credit to use and are thinking about the ABC island sailing in May 2020. Would love to know what you thought about the Key on a non-Oasis class ship. Thanks!
I think you could take it or leave it. It was very helpful when we got off the boat. That made a big difference. It was helpful in a sense because it came with the internet which we would have both purchased otherwise (had kids at home to check on). I think it was helpful but not a necessity. The Freedom was wonderful and the ABC cruise was amazing.

Thanks so much! We will both get the internet package so will see what the Key costs once we book. Cannot wait to book! Just need to finalize with our friends who are sailing with us. I was hoping for a junior suite on the hump but most are sold out and we want to be close together so will be toward the back of the ship. The amplification that is supposed to take place this winter will take what looks to be a great ship and make it amazing!

After experiencing The Key, just an FYI... Know that you'll have to share a table with other guests.

It can be nice but it also can be quite uncomfortable especially if you are shy people (or just very different from your table mates).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!