Changes with DCL that a not very frequent cruiser should know

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Haven't been on a cruise in a while, once on the Wonder in 2007 and then the Dream in 2011, but I am thinking about getting back on board within the next few years. But since I have not been keeping up much at all with DCL news, I am wanting to know what all has changed, except like major news, like the new ships and such.

Has DCL went in the way Disney has with the pay for more, get less approach? Not being a very frequent cruiser I might not be able to tell. Any great positive moves they have made? What is the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Yes, the alcohol restrictions (as to how much you are allowed to bring onboard) has changed. Two bottles of 750ml wine or 6pack of beer per adult. No more bringing hard alcohol on board. But you can replenish your wine & beer at each ports (with the same limitation). If you bring alcohol they will take it and store it for you and you pick it up on the morning you disembark.
Depending which ship you choose, their have been restaurant changes/enhancements, arcades have been taken out of all ships, Dream and Fantasy both have ice cream shops (that you pay for) , etc.

They have a Princess and a Frozen meet and greet that you can pre book when your booking window opens. It makes the waiting in line less.

Is there anything that was once free that they now charge for? This seems to be the thing at the World.

Is there anything that was once free that they now charge for? This seems to be the thing at the World.
No. The cruise ships haven't gone the way the "World" is going, probably because it's easier for them to outright raise the cruise prices wholesale, while keeping the product pretty much the same.

The cruises are much more expensive than the parks, so there's a bigger profit margin with them to begin with. So the incentive is there for Disney to keep the quality high for all guests & the experience mostly all-inclusive, with a really high sticker price to be paid by all guests upfront.

Last edited:
Good grief. For the price you pay to hop on board, that is ridiculous.
You can still get the same free soft serve ice cream onboard at any time of day. The upcharge ice cream shops offer premium hard serve flavors with crush-ins, and also sell deluxe candies & cupcakes. You can even have these sent over to the MDRs to take the place of an MDR dessert (though you still have to pay).

I personally like the new ice cream & sweets shop on the Dream. There is no way DCL could provide that quality of sweets all day to all guests at no extra charge, so the upcharge makes it possible to have such treats at will while onboard. The upcharges are reasonable, too. They aren't pushing $10 cupcakes. And the shop is cute.

Last edited:
You still get the same free soft serve ice cream onboard at any time of day. The upcharge ice cream shops offer premium hard serve flavors with crush-ins, and also sell deluxe candies & cupcakes. You can even have these sent over to the MDRs to take the place of an MDR dessert (though you still have to pay).

I personally like the new ice cream & sweets shop on the Dream. There is no way DCL could provide that quality of sweets all day to all guests at no extra charge, so the upcharge makes it possible to have such treats at will while onboard. The upcharges are reasonable, too. They aren't pushing $10 cupcakes. And the shop is cute.
I'm sure if we sail the Dream again, we will visit. LoL.

You still get the same free soft serve ice cream onboard at any time of day. The upcharge ice cream shops offer premium hard serve flavors with crush-ins, and also sell deluxe candies & cupcakes. You can even have these sent over to the MDRs to take the place of an MDR dessert (though you still have to pay).

I like the gelato that is served in the store a lot, and one scoop is not expensive IMO.

You can no longer drop something off at guest services (picture frame, pillow case) to be signed by characters.

That is a bummer!! We are sailing RCI for the first time in December, but I know we’ll miss Disney...any updates to ships?

Another change: The DCL app now has texting abilities between personal devices, and you don't have to pay for the WiFi in order to get that ability. We use the app to keep in touch with each other instead of the wave phones.
Love that!

You can even have these sent over to the MDRs to take the place of an MDR dessert (though you still have to pay).

Thanks for that tip. We haven’t heard that before. I usually can find something off the menu to try but it will be nice to have more options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter