Changing my legal name

The first article when I googled says the above. Clearly saying to go to the social security office first. Is there somewhere to call to verify where to go first?

View attachment 411118

The first article when I googled says the above. Clearly saying to go to the social security office first. Is there somewhere to call to verify where to go first?
I'm telling you I just did this and the way it reads is that you have to have the verification of the name change on ID card of some sort aka DRIVERS LICENSE! Then you fill out the paperwork and give the agent when you are called, the license with your married name on it and your marriage license along with the paperwork you fill out at the office or that you printed and took with you. They will then go over it, put it in the computer and print out a sheet that will have you verify that everything is correct. Then you legally state (recorded) that it is all correct to your knowledge. Then you are told the time period average that it will take your new SS card to reach you via US mail.
They will not accept DL with maiden name on it.

But what do I know? I only did this a month ago myself.

Last edited:
In my state, I had to change SS first, and the SS office had to give me a special paper to take to the DMV to change my name on my license. Here your SSN or a religious exemption needs to be shown at the DMV for a license, along with a birth certificate and/or any other papers showing the "paper trail" of each time your name has changed (in my case, I had been married previously and had to take my birth certificate, old marriage license, divorce decree, and current marriage license. It was a pain!!)

Sorry, posted the wrong article in the last post. I'll try again:

https://www.theknot.com/content/name-change-florida

This might help. It gives an overview of what needs changed when, and in what order. Also the documentation needed. It looks like you do have to start with SSN. As to how long it takes to do in person, I can't tell you. I'm in PA, and it was a while ago! I think if you have everything you need document wise, it shouldn't take too long. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!