Changing Names on DVC Contracts

csmommy

DIS Veteran
I am going through a divorce. My ex does not want our 2 OKW contracts. What is the easiest & least expensive way to make the account in my name alone? Can we do a quit deed?

Least expensive is to file the deeds yourself. But he’ll need to sign everything. If you already have lawyers involved, I’d have them handle it.

I am going through a divorce. My ex does not want our 2 OKW contracts. What is the easiest & least expensive way to make the account in my name alone? Can we do a quit deed?

You will need to re-title the deed, the cost can range depending on what tile company you use. Feel free to contact our office, we can put you in touch with one of our title companies and they can give you an estimate, and answer any other questions you may have. We are open all weekend 1-800-550-6493

Last edited:
If you do it yourself the cost for WDW will be under $100 for 2 contracts. I'd do it yourself. If you don't want to do so, LT transfers will be around $350 pit the door for the 2.

If you do it yourself the cost for WDW will be under $100 for 2 contracts. I'd do it yourself. If you don't want to do so, LT transfers will be around $350 pit the door for the 2.
Greetings! While I am not divorcing, I did want to change the titles on three contracts (I am the sole owner and an attorney advised me to add a second owner "just in case".) I contacted the Disney preferred company, First American Title Insurance Company, and received an email informing me that the cost is $475 per contract! Needless to say, I dropped the ball and didn't proceed. The lawyer I spoke with advised me to locate an attorney familiar with the process in FL but I am in MA so that is easier said than done. Dean, where did you get your estimate?

Di I need to do something similar with the death of my spouse? We were co-owners.

That doesn’t sound like a very good reason. I’d seek a second opinion or get a better understanding of why he thinks it’s a good idea.
Well, it is a good reason because, if I die, the contracts would need to go through probate, etc. and the cost and aggravation would take away much of the value.

Greetings! While I am not divorcing, I did want to change the titles on three contracts (I am the sole owner and an attorney advised me to add a second owner "just in case".) I contacted the Disney preferred company, First American Title Insurance Company, and received an email informing me that the cost is $475 per contract! Needless to say, I dropped the ball and didn't proceed. The lawyer I spoke with advised me to locate an attorney familiar with the process in FL but I am in MA so that is easier said than done. Dean, where did you get your estimate?
I'm not a lawyer but I've found that unless a lawyer has knowledge of timeshares, they are generally less than a knowledgeable timeshare person in such areas. You could add associates so they could use the contract in the interim if something were to happen. I'm not sure spending money to change the deed now would avoid future probate. But what it does is make the other party responsible. That can be good for benefits like discounts but bad in that it commits them where if it were willed, they could refuse it. IMO this is not a good reason to do this unless you're going to put it in a trust or have other reasons to add names now outside a legacy situation.

Di I need to do something similar with the death of my spouse? We were co-owners.
If there's no one else to worry about the ownership and it's in your name and his with right of survivorship, I wouldn't worry about it. You can use it and let it expire. It can be sorted out on your passing if needed. I've seen instances where DVC has removed the name with a death certificate but this doesn't change the deed. If you need to add a person(s) later, you can do it all at one time. Whether probate is required may be a different matter but I wouldn't fool with it if the only thing for FL is DVC.

Well, it is a good reason because, if I die, the contracts would need to go through probate, etc. and the cost and aggravation would take away much of the value.
I don't think such a change negates the need for probate unless you do a trust now. But you can do it for $40 per contract if they're all WDW.

What do you mean by co-owners? Deeds can be written in several ways. Sometimes it can even depend on your state of residence. Generally speaking, when someone passes, you need to remove their name from the deed. That may or may not require their estate to go through probate in Florida.

Last edited:
Thank you, appreciate your responses!

What do you mean by co-owners? Deeds can be written in several ways. Sometimes it can even depend on your state of residence. Generally speaking, when someone passes, you need to remove their name from the deed. That may or may not require their estate to go through probate in Florida.
Why would one need to remove a name if someone passes. It doesn't affect usage. Obviously if one wants to sell or add names, it could be an issue but just to do it because one "needs to" doesn't make sense to me.

We have also been trying to decide if we wanted to add our adult children (just in case) because we were also advised by DVC that the probate process can be long and expensive. This gave us two options, either a living trust or just add the kids to it. Thoughts? Also is there a form to do this? The one mentioned about is more of a transfer of ownership.

We have also been trying to decide if we wanted to add our adult children (just in case) because we were also advised by DVC that the probate process can be long and expensive. This gave us two options, either a living trust or just add the kids to it. Thoughts? Also is there a form to do this? The one mentioned about is more of a transfer of ownership.
Still cheaper than doing a Living trust. Technically this is a transfer of ownership. So ROFR which will clear automatically in this situation, new deed recorded then send in the appropriate info to DVC. You can do it for about $40 per contract if you do it yourself, $175 per if you want someone else to do it assuming it's WDW. Even if you do a Living will, you'll still have to change the deed to make it applicable.

Just a note, if your membership isn't paid off in full, you will have to requalify on a credit check for a loan for the remainder of the balance and may have to do a down payment.

Remember, if you add your children, and one of them gets divorced, there may be a fight over your contracts.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!