Changing Plans Bc of Irma, Need Hotel/Beach Suggestions for 9/22

Vintage princess

Mouseketeer
Hello! My family and I were originally booked to be at Disney from 9/8-9/15 and then visit Clearwater Beach from 9/15-9/18. We have rescheduled our trip and are now arriving on 9/15 at Disney. When we re-scheduled, it still looked as if Irma was going to stay on the East side of FL out in the Atlantic and head to SC. The hurricane path/forecast has changed a lot since that time. We are still planning on flying into MCO on 9/15 pending storm damage. (don't want to take away resources if things are rough, we will re-schedule.)
However, looking at the current storm track this morning the Clearwater area looks like it is going to get hit hard. We don't think 2 weeks will be much time for Clearwater to get back on its feet, so going there would probably not be a great idea. Today we will need to cancel our original Clearwater resort reservation and make new ones somewhere. We thought about just extending our Disney trip but all the hotels appear to be booked. Any suggestions on a hotel/beach on the East coast of FL? We are looking at staying in Disney springs area but are not familiar with the hotels. We are from the midwest and have no experience with hurricanes. Would there even be a chance that a beach would be open on 9/22-9/25? (this would be about 2 weeks after Irma) Our daughter has never seen the ocean and we were hoping she could at some point during our trip.

It's difficult to say until after Monday.

As far as a beach on the east coast, you can't go wrong with Cocoa Beach (an hour drive from Orlando). I haven't stayed on the beach there but there are lots of major hotel chains to choose from. I would check reviews on TripAdvisor.

However, looking at the current storm track this morning the Clearwater area looks like it is going to get hit hard. We don't think 2 weeks will be much time for Clearwater to get back on its feet, so going there would probably not be a great idea.

I went through Hurricane Wilma in 2005 in Fort Lauderdale. It was a Category 3 storm, which is roughly what Clearwater will be experiencing in a few hours. After Wilma, I was without power for 18 days. It's impossible to know if that will happen in Clearwater, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear similar stories.

We are from the midwest and have no experience with hurricanes. Would there even be a chance that a beach would be open on 9/22-9/25? (this would be about 2 weeks after Irma) Our daughter has never seen the ocean and we were hoping she could at some point during our trip.

Even though the storm is running up the west coast, this is still a major storm. The entire state is going to be affected. Cocoa Beach is projected to still get hurricane force winds. As such, hotels, restaurants, and other buildings may damaged. Beaches on the east coast of Florida should be open. However, even the west coast is forecasted to have storm surge of 2-4 feet in some places. All that water can do devastating damage to building on the coast.

We are still planning on flying into MCO on 9/15 pending storm damage. (don't want to take away resources if things are rough, we will re-schedule.)

Please keep in mind that millions of Floridians were under mandatory evacuation orders. On Thursday, it took me 13.5 hours to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Tallahassee. That trip would normally take 6.5 hours. All that extra time was due to traffic.

Additionally, tens of thousands of us flew out of various airports. Most of those evacuees will trying to get back home this coming week. Local businesses will still be dealing with limited staffing.

Today we will need to cancel our original Clearwater resort reservation and make new ones somewhere. We thought about just extending our Disney trip but all the hotels appear to be booked. Any suggestions on a hotel/beach on the East coast of FL? We are looking at staying in Disney springs area but are not familiar with the hotels.

Since I started responding to this message, it appears that Irma won't regain strength before hitting the Tampa area. That's fantastic news. (I have a friend in Tampa, so I'm very happy right now.)

I can't advise whether you should still come to Florida. This is a catastrophic storm that will be affecting millions of Floridians for days, weeks, and possibly months. I sincerely appreciate that you are cognizant of not wanting to divert resources by being here.

That said, our economy is dependent on tourism. If no one returns just after hurricanes, residents in service jobs will not get paid. So, it's a tough decision to make as to whether you should still come to Florida.

Glad you are safe @writerguyfl. My Mom was out of her Pompano Beach condo 4 years from Wilma, it's rough. Hope your home is safe, I keep trying to distract myself, thinking positive and hoping we will sustain minimal damage (St. Augustine).

OP I agree with above posts - since you are talking so soon. Wait until it clears and then narrow it down by which beaches has the least damage.

Thank you for the advice. I hope I did not sound uncaring in my asking. I am a worrier and a planner and I am afraid to take my family into a tricky situation. Also, I do not want our family to go somewhere and be in anyone's way. The only thing I can go off of being a mid west girl, is tornadoes. My aunt and uncle lost everything in a huge tornado two years ago. It was many hard months of clean up for their city. It was a more than a year before their home was rebuilt and she struggled with PTSD afterwards. We definitely wouldn't want to add to anyone's troubles or take away resources.

I will continue to pray for the safety of those in Irma's path. Stay safe @HopperFan and @writerguyfl!

Thank you for the advice. I hope I did not sound uncaring in my asking. I am a worrier and a planner and I am afraid to take my family into a tricky situation. Also, I do not want our family to go somewhere and be in anyone's way. The only thing I can go off of being a mid west girl, is tornadoes. My aunt and uncle lost everything in a huge tornado two years ago. It was many hard months of clean up for their city. It was a more than a year before their home was rebuilt and she struggled with PTSD afterwards. We definitely wouldn't want to add to anyone's troubles or take away resources.

I will continue to pray for the safety of those in Irma's path. Stay safe @HopperFan and @writerguyfl!

NO, didn't take that way at all. :hug: DH is from Nebraska so we know that struggle as well. I know how hard it has been for everyone to change their plans. I was to be in St. Augustine and WDW last year during Matthew and had to cancel, and I didn't have that much invested.

The trouble with hurricanes is we simply don't know where they will go, this thing completely changed projected coasts .... with evacuations, particularly those of us in mandatory areas (we are 150 yards off beach) we have no eyes on to know and it may be days after the storm passes before they let folks back out in the beach areas. So we just can't give you a good idea until we know what will be open at that time.

Likely moving to East coast will be a better option, but you'll know in a few days. It's the catch 22; folks are dealing with the outcome but at the same time desperate for the money to start coming back in. When spending in St. Augustine after storms we try really hard to spend local; eat local owned restaurants, seek out the farmers markets, holiday shop or buy items in local stores. It really does go a long way in helping them rebuild.

That said, check back in a few days and the folks who know the beach areas, will know how they did and can give you solid info to work with.

Last edited:
My Mom was supposed to come down to Clearwater Thursday for the Chicago Bears/Buccaneers game and cancelled yesterday. Once the hurricane shifted towards Tampa, it wasn't looking good so she decided to cancel while she could. Good luck and hope everyone stays safe! Such a sad/scary situation. :(

Thank you for the advice. I hope I did not sound uncaring in my asking.

I didn't take it as being uncaring, at all. Like I said, our economy thrives on tourism. If the area you want to visit are mostly open, we'll want you to come.

The storm appears to be playing games right now. The 11pm update is imminent. The storm might be tracking closer to Orlando than Tampa. From having worked at Disney World, I'm 100% confident that everything there will be fine. But, other local infrastructure might be affected. Once the storm passes and the light returns, you'll have a better picture of what's to come.

Currently, I'm in Southern California staying with family. I had a trip planned to come here later this month and moved the trip up when Irma threatened. I can stay here for free until power comes back at home. It's been a stressful last several days. When I left home, I was honestly worried that my apartment wouldn't be there after the storm because the storm was supposed to be a category 4 hitting Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Thankfully, it appears that my area escaped the catastrophic forecast we had last Thursday when I started the evacuation.

ParkHopper: I knew you visited Disney World often, but never thought about where you lived. Thankfully, that area will not get much more than category 1 winds. That's good news.

ParkHopper: I knew you visited Disney World often, but never thought about where you lived. Thankfully, that area will not get much more than category 1 winds. That's good news.

If this was for me :-)

My primary home is in Atlanta, my secondary is in St. Augustine. Yeah .... I'm there a lot ....
I felt much better about the storm on Friday, not so much now. Looks like the same flooding etc as Matthew but worse with the wind. Lots of trees, power lines etc down. Island is locked off so we don't know what we look like. Tornado touchdowns. Fingers crossed we find out something tomorrow. We are a ground level townhome, not a rental, it's full of our things ... so am nervous.

If it wasn't for me, ooops! :oops:

Last edited:
If this was for me :-)

My primary home is in Atlanta, my secondary is in St. Augustine. Yeah .... I'm there a lot ....
I felt much better about the storm on Friday, not so much now. Looks like the same flooding etc as Matthew but worse with the wind. Lots of trees, power lines etc down. Island is locked off so we don't know what we look like. Tornado touchdowns. Fingers crossed we find out something tomorrow. We are a ground level townhome, not a rental, it's full of our things ... so am nervous.

If it wasn't for me, ooops! :oops:

Sorry, HopperFan. Not sure why I typed your username wrong. I'll blame lack of sleep. Good luck with your St. Augustine place.

Sorry, HopperFan. Not sure why I typed your username wrong. I'll blame lack of sleep. Good luck with your St. Augustine place.

Well, you've had a lot going on down there. No problem ... I am a park hopper. ;) Hope you came out okay down there! All we know is that a walk by didn't reveal damage to our unit ... but we have been battling a roof leak from Matthew so I'll feel better once the inside is inspected and my ceiling isn't on the floor. Lots of damage to complex but we got lucky.

Last edited:
Well, you've had a lot going on down there. No problem ... I am a park hopper. ;) Hope you came out okay down there! All we know is that a walk by didn't reveal damage to our unit ... but we have been battling a roof leak from Matthew so I'll feel better once the inside is inspected and my ceiling isn't on the floor. Lots of damage to complex but we got lucky.

Yeah, I haven't been that stressed Hurricane Wilma in 2005 or when I moved to Orlando the day before 9/11.

Sounds like you're cautiously optimistic. That's good. I spoke briefly with my landlord this morning and my place is fine. I won't head back home until next Wednesday. I can work from anywhere with power and internet. Hopefully both of those will be back in Fort Lauderdale by the time I get back.

Yeah, I haven't been that stressed Hurricane Wilma in 2005 or when I moved to Orlando the day before 9/11.

Sounds like you're cautiously optimistic. That's good. I spoke briefly with my landlord this morning and my place is fine. I won't head back home until next Wednesday. I can work from anywhere with power and internet. Hopefully both of those will be back in Fort Lauderdale by the time I get back.

So glad you are good, folks still haven't heard from their management in Pompano Beach (face beach).

We have heard as they've started interior inspects - water found via sliders they assume - no word on us yet. When storm got to ATL we sprouted three basement (finished) leaks we never had. But of course unimportant compared to so many. Makes your heart hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!