Changing resorts at 7 months

blondietink

DIS Veteran
It has been a long time since we have been to WDW and I currently have a one week booked at SSR for October. At the 7 month mark in 10 days I want to move the reservation to another resort. Do I have to cancel my SSR reservation first? If yes, should I do it a day or so before trying to make the 7 month reservation or can I do it on the same transaction? I do not have enough points to make a new reservation before cancelling the current one. I don't see a problem getting back the SSR reservation for that time of year if for some reason I can't make a reservation at another resort. Suggestions, please!

You need to have points available to make the new reservation. If you cancel SSR, someone else could take it while you are trying to make your new reservation. I would check SSR availability prior to canceling just to make sure that you can re-book there if necessary.

:earsboy: Bill

Moving a one week SSR reservation to a non-home resort at WDW for the end of October is going to be hard. October is one of those months where you need to book your home resort at 11 months out and pray you can get something else. Especially if you are looking at an Epcot or MK resort. Those are probably not going to happen.

Not necessarily looking at MK or Epcot resorts and my one week SSR reservation will become a 4 or 5 days someplace else. We already have an overlapping reservation at Sheraton Vistana Villages that I can tweek one way or the other.

Moving a one week SSR reservation to a non-home resort at WDW for the end of October is going to be hard. October is one of those months where you need to book your home resort at 11 months out and pray you can get something else. Especially if you are looking at an Epcot or MK resort. Those are probably not going to happen.
Hi looking for your opinion! I'm going to try and switch from SSR to CCR 5/9. Do you think I'll be ok to just cancel both ressies night before then book at 7 am online Instead of using 2 browser or devices to cancel then rebook? I have two ressies, one bedroom and two bedroom, I mean SSR always has availability but it is for week of 12/9 so I'm torn on my strategy! Ty!

You need to have points available to make the new reservation. If you cancel SSR, someone else could take it while you are trying to make your new reservation. I would check SSR availability prior to canceling just to make sure that you can re-book there if necessary.

Ok thanks I forgot to mention I had to borrow points does that complicate things? Ty

Ok thanks I forgot to mention I had to borrow points does that complicate things? Ty

If the new reservation uses less points then the borrowed points are stuck in their new UY and can't be banked to save them. They will expire at the end of the UY if not used.

If the new reservation uses less points then the borrowed points are stuck in their new UY and can't be banked to save them. They will expire at the end of the UY if not used.

No thankfully I thought ahead and only did a studio and 1 br and just did the math, I will have to borrow more for CCR or my backups! Ty!

I think you'll need luck to switch to CCV.
Yes I know but it still looks encouraging, just 3 days occupied on 1 br., week before and 4 days missing on 2 br. So my logic is anyone with a January UY might have already booked! At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Yes I know but it still looks encouraging, just 3 days occupied on 1 br., week before and 4 days missing on 2 br. So my logic is anyone with a January UY might have already booked! At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Has nothing to do with UY.

It has been a long time since we have been to WDW and I currently have a one week booked at SSR for October. At the 7 month mark in 10 days I want to move the reservation to another resort. Do I have to cancel my SSR reservation first? If yes, should I do it a day or so before trying to make the 7 month reservation or can I do it on the same transaction? I do not have enough points to make a new reservation before cancelling the current one. I don't see a problem getting back the SSR reservation for that time of year if for some reason I can't make a reservation at another resort. Suggestions, please!
You are already past the seven month mark for October, When I just signed into my account it said I could book a non home resort for stays starting November 12.

Update: did online reservation at 8 am exactly 7 months out on 3/20. Was able to get a 1 bedroom lake view at BLT There were lots of choices! The only thing not available at the time was Polynesian villas for the whole time.

Last edited:
Update: did online reservation at 8 am exactly 7 months out on 3/20. Was able to get a 1 bedroom lake view at BLT There were lots of choices! The only thing not available at the time was Polynesian villas for the whole time.
That’s great news!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter