Channel Crossing from England to DLParis

richard3330

Cirque Fan
We have travelled by plane and Eurostar when going to DLRParis, but have never tried 'Le Shuttle' or a Ferry Crossing.

I have noticed that travelling by ferry is noticeably cheaper and after the last fiasco that we encountered on our last trip to DLRParis by plane at CDG, I am beginning to think this might be a good idea.

How long does it take?
Where does it depart from where does it go to?
How long does it take to drive to DLRP when in France?
What's on board?
Would you recommend this travel option?

Thanks for any help.

Richard. :)

We've often used Eurotunnel when driving to DLP. It is quick, hassle-free and for us welll worth the small premium over the cost of a ferry crossing. The Eurotunnel terminal is on the M20 just outside Folkestone. You drive you car onto the train and stay with it for the 35 minute journey to Calais. There is nothing on board the train, other than toilets, but you can get out of your car to stretch your legs. Once you drive off the train at Calais it is a short drive to the A26, and from there a straightforward 3 hour journey to DLP.

I would definately recommend driving. It gives you the flexibility to stay off-site, including the Davy Crockett Ranch, and to travel further afield to see other tourist destintions around Paris. Although not quite as conveneient as the Eurostar, it certainly beats flying by a considerable margin.

Regards

Rob

Another thumbs up for Eurotunnel from me. :) We have drive each time we have been and I must admit I love the drive there (although as my DH does the driving perhaps I should ask him!). That is appart from the time that we broke down on the Shuttle and had to be pushed off - that was our first visit and it is a testimony to the magic of the park that we returned as the whole trip was a disaster from start to finish! But that's a different story.

The roads in France are great and there seems to be far less traffic than over here. And as Rob says, the extra flexibility is great - especially being able to stay at the Ranch which we love!

I know that it may be a bit more expensive than a ferry but as one who is dreadfully sea sick even if the sea is like a mill pond, it is well worth a little extra.

One more thing is that we have got a Points Plus card. A card costs you £15 per year and gets you an immediate saving of 10% off your crossing. In addition you get a point for each £1 you spend on travel or at the terminal on 'duty free' (I know it isn't strictly that but you know what I mean). As DH goes over with some friends before Christmas each year and we go to DLP about once a year that soon mounts up. For 900 points you get a free 'short break' crossing of up to 5 days, or for 1200 a longer journey or 600 a day trip. And of course on the way back you can get some goodies and thus more point. We will be getting a free crossing in May and our alst 2 crossings were also free (one because they sent us a free one as our previous crossing was delayed by an hour).

Just something else to think about if you are thinking of going on more regular basis ;)

Karen

Eurotunnel often seem to have winter sales offering significant discounts on travel during the forthcoming year (we got a 40% discount for our crossing in August). Although you've missed this year's promotion it might be worth bearing in mind for future trips.

Regards

Rob

Good point Rob

We got a significant disount a couple of years ago too by booking around Christmas time. And then we got a further 10% off with the points plus card as well.

Karen :)

Well Rob it used to but I have jsut been over to the site and checked and it looks as if now it is just on their regular fares, not promotional fares :(
They used to make a big thing about the fact that as they gave the discount on all fares, including promotions, points plus members always got the best possible deals but it looks as if that may have changed. And I know it was genuine as, as I said, I received the discount on a promotional fare in the past.

However, what is good is that now you can join online at the time of booking and still get the 10% discount, so you don't have to decide until you are in a position to have to book a full price fare. And of course if the fare is £150 or more then the card has paid for itself. And of course any further trips in the year would get 10% discount as well as earning points.

The other thing is that if the card expires you loose the points on it - so we will be renewing ours for a while at least as we have enough points for another 2 5 day trips ;)

Karen :)

Rob

Just did a bit of research on their website (checked fares for various bookings with and without our points plus card) and it appears that you do get the 10% discount on all their types of fare (eg saver, saver weekend etc) not just their standard fare, but didn't take it off for the half term special day trip, so I guess it is just specific promotions that are no longer included. Shame :(

Karen

Whilst I would also vote for the tunnel , which we all enjoy. We went to DLP in October 2002 & the price diff between tunnel & ferry was over £100. We decided on th e ferry & have more spending money.

we travelled down to Dover the day before & spent the night in a Travel lodge, which was 5 mins away from the docks.

The crossing was fine in Oct & not too rough but of course I realise that isn't always the case.

Ferry had a cafe for breakfast & a chance to stretch our legs.

The boat docks in Calais(1.5 hrs) & within 5 mins your'e on the motorway & its then motorway all the way to DLP. A very easy run, approx 2.5 hours I think!!!!!

If you're thinking of stopping in Calais , to stock up on liquid refreshments I recommend Eastenders. No posh supermarket here , a rough & ready warehouse but great prices & a good choice.

So don't discount the ferry Rob an especially good choice to give the driver a break.

Sue

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Originally posted by Disney owl
So don't discount the ferry Rob an especially good choice to give the driver a break.

Jane is normally sea-sick before the ship leaves the harbour, so unfortunately sailing is not really an option for us!

Regards

Rob

Sounds like Jane and I have something in common Rob.

In fact even thinking about it is making me queasy:eek:

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter