Chaos at MCO

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Someone tried to blow by the checkpoint and another person yelled they saw a gun or grenade.

Just saw the link from ABC news. Sorry, don't know how to share it.

Praying no one was injured in the mess.

I've had Active Shooter training at my workplace, and still I have no idea how I would not panic in that sort of situation. My palms are sweaty just watching the video.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

So, I saw, on several of my Disney related sites, that there was an 'active shooter situation' at MCO. Interesting since the man wasn't armed. This is an issue....people jumping up and screaming 'gun'!!! Would I stay in that area? No, probably not. But all those people were panicking due to someone yelling gun!!! And I saw the video with others yelling 'grenade'! Amazing. There's a reason I avoid huge crowds!!! I tend to walk along the edges of large open areas, vs going right through the middle. Be aware of your surroundings.

We were at the airport when this happened. We had just dropped off our rental car and were checking our luggage in at the Southwest counter when I saw a man with a little girl run toward the doors behind us. Then I heard someone shout, "GO!!!!!" My husband and I have seen the reports of mass shooters over the last decade and we were not about to take a chance with our family's lives. We grabbed our kids' hands and ran. We ran faster when we saw airport workers running beside us. The kids were panicking and I kept telling them to just run and not let go of us. We ran across the street to the parking garage and hid behind a concrete barrier at a stairwell.

We weren't sure how far to run because we had no idea what was going on. People kept pouring out of the airport. There was screaming and crying. I called 911 to see if they could tell me if we needed to keep running or stay where we were. They didn't yet know what was happening. I got on Twitter and was connected to someone who was also at the airport. I followed his reports to get info. No info came out from MCO for several long minutes.

My kids are now aware that this is the world they live in. They watched in horror as adults ran for their lives. They were confused when we were given the okay to go back in and everyone seemed so normal. I was horrified that this was not big news. How awful that this can happen and it isn't newsworthy? It really is our new normal. Hundreds of people were pouring out of the airport, hiding, and seeking exits and then it was over and business as usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter