Character Breakfast (Solo)

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a short trip to WDW at the end of September to celebrate a milestone Birthday, this will be my 2nd solo trip. I really want to try a character breakfast on my last morning before I leave, I'm not worried about eating by myself but I am wondering if anyone else has done a character meal solo?

I'm trying to decide between 1900 Park Fare, Ohana and Chef Mickey's. Two are buffet and one is food brought to your table. Will I still be able to interact with the characters, get autographs and get a picture done? I don't see the point in spending all the money if I can't easily get a picture with the character. Getting up for the buffet and leaving my table, the servers will know I'm still eating and not give my table away?

So many thoughts running through my head, tell me your experiences :)

I've done quite a few character meals, some solo and some not.

Getting a picture with the characters is possible solo, but it's a little more difficult than if you have someone with you. If your server is nearby and not too busy, he/she can take the picture for you, but in my experience, the server is not always available for this at that moment. Sometimes there will be a handler with the characters who can take a picture, but they too may be elsewhere in the restaurant. If you're not too shy about it, you can ask a guest at the next table to take the picture for you. Also, some solos will just take a selfie with the character, but that may not be what you want to do.

At Disney I've not had it happen that when I went to the buffet, a server mistakenly thought I was gone.

Of the three restaurants you mention, I prefer 1900 Park Fare for the food and characters, but I haven't tried those other two at breakfast. Chef Mickey's tends to have a high noise level from lots of shrieking toddlers, and has aptly been described on these boards as being like a three-year-old's birthday party.

You might be able to find another Dis'er to meet up with you for the character meal, but if not, don't let being solo stop you from living your dreams.

I've done quite a few character meals, some solo and some not.

Getting a picture with the characters is possible solo, but it's a little more difficult than if you have someone with you. If your server is nearby and not too busy, he/she can take the picture for you, but in my experience, the server is not always available for this at that moment. Sometimes there will be a handler with the characters who can take a picture, but they too may be elsewhere in the restaurant. If you're not too shy about it, you can ask a guest at the next table to take the picture for you. Also, some solos will just take a selfie with the character, but that may not be what you want to do.

At Disney I've not had it happen that when I went to the buffet, a server mistakenly thought I was gone.

Of the three restaurants you mention, I prefer 1900 Park Fare for the food and characters, but I haven't tried those other two at breakfast. Chef Mickey's tends to have a high noise level from lots of shrieking toddlers, and has aptly been described on these boards as being like a three-year-old's birthday party.

You might be able to find another Dis'er to meet up with you for the character meal, but if not, don't let being solo stop you from living your dreams.
I appreciate your feedback :) If I do go I would pick 1900 Park Fare. I think I might just dive right in and not worry about things.

The only thing I'd worry about is missing a character when I was at the buffet, but I think you could time that ok and be fine as you sit and get a feel for how fast they're moving.

I haven't done a character meal solo, but absolutely would - I'd probably ask a friendly looking person at a nearby table if they'd be willing to take a photo for me, or just do selfies with the characters. I did that a couple weeks ago at Garden Grill and the characters were so fun when I asked if they'd take a selfie with me...Dale pretended to lick his paws and smooth his hair, and it was just really cute and fun! I did the same at Akershus with the princesses in 2017.

Have fun!!

In my experience, there are character handler CMs that will bring a character to you if you missed their initial pass because you had to get up for something...if you can't tell who that CM is, your server can let them know. I enjoy character meals and would definitely do one (or two or.....8-)) even if I was traveling solo.

Last edited:
I’ve done a ton of character meals solo and never had any issues. When the character comes and you don’t see your server or a handler to easily take a picture for you something fun to do is to ask the character if THEY know someone who will take a picture of you together. They’ll often ask another guest - and no one says no to a character! Often a nearby family offers when they see you’re solo and I’ll always offer to return the favor so they can have a family photo with the characters. As for missing the characters, just like when dining as a family I watch to see when characters are approaching and how they’re circling the room to see when to go to the buffet.

Last edited:
I’ve done a ton of character meals solo and never had any issues. When the character comes and you don’t see your server or a handler to easily take a picture for you something fun to do is to ask the character if THEY know someone who will take a picture of you together. They’ll often ask another guest - and no one says no to a character! Often a nearby family offers when they see you’re solo and I’ll always offer to return the favor so they can have a family photo with the characters. As for missing the characters, just like when dining as a family I watch to see when characters are approaching and how they’re circling the room to see when to go to the buffet.

I love this idea of asking the character of they know someone who can take the picture!

I love this idea of asking the character of they know someone who can take the picture!
I've done this, and they always seem to ask a nearby guest. (Because if you had to ask, it already means there was no nearby cast member available).

I’ve gone solo to a few character meals and had no trouble getting my food or pictures. The cast members (servers and handlers) have always been so helpful. No worrie :-) I’m planning another solo trip next month and have a couple booked as well.

That is an awesome idea, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!