Character Meal Opinions

Christine

DIS Veteran
Okay DISers with kids, I'm looking for your opinions.

We are going on an extended family vacation to WDW this coming November. We will have two little boys with us (ages 3 and 4). It's been AGES since my kids were little and we did character meals. Back then, I knew what the go-to places were. Now, not so much. Especially with boys.

The parents of the boys does want to do Chef Mickey's. I do realize that the food gets a "horrible" review these days, but the mother of the boys has very fond memories of HER first trip to Disney and going to that breakfast.

Otherwise, what is good these days. The boys are very into Toy Story but I know there's nothing for that with the exception of a separate package for a continental breakfast meet and greet over at DHS.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Our favorite character meals are Garden Grill at Epcot and Tusker House at AK (although Chef Mickey's will give you basically the same characters). If your boys like Disney Jr, H&V would also be a good option.

Garden Grill is my favorite. The food is excellent. Bring something to put whatever remains of your cinnamon rolls, so you can heave them later. Yummy! They bring the food to your table, so you don't have to figure out when it is "safe" to get food. Plus, it is not uncommon to have the characters visit your table 2 or 3 times. I also have found that kids are less distracted trying to follow the characters around like I have seen at Chef Mickey's.

Are you the one making the arrangements? Maybe you could tell a "white lie" and say that Chef Mickey's is booked up, so you tried someplace else.

Garden Grill is my favorite. The food is excellent. Bring something to put whatever remains of your cinnamon rolls, so you can heave them later. Yummy! They bring the food to your table, so you don't have to figure out when it is "safe" to get food. Plus, it is not uncommon to have the characters visit your table 2 or 3 times. I also have found that kids are less distracted trying to follow the characters around like I have seen at Chef Mickey's.

Are you the one making the arrangements? Maybe you could tell a "white lie" and say that Chef Mickey's is booked up, so you tried someplace else.

My cousin and I will share the reservation making responsibilities. I don't think we are going to get out of Chef Mickey's!!

Depending on your schedule, where you are staying and what meals you are looking at I would put Crystal House ( Pooh and friends) on the radar as well. It's in the park and we have always enjoyed it for breakfast. My first choice would be Tusker House in AK ( for any meal ) or Garden Grill- which is not a buffet so foods are limited ( but extremely fresh) and since you're already doing the buffet at Chef Mickey's- you might prefer a family style type setting.... The other option would be Hollywood and Vine at Hollywood Studios ( another buffet) - this has gotten mixed reviews but does have the characters seasonally dressed- if you went for breakfast- it's Disney Jr characters.

We LOVE Crystal Palace breakfast. We are trying Garden Grill and 1900 Park Fare for the first time in a few weeks, and I have heard great things about them both.

Depending on your schedule, where you are staying and what meals you are looking at I would put Crystal House ( Pooh and friends) on the radar as well. It's in the park and we have always enjoyed it for breakfast. My first choice would be Tusker House in AK ( for any meal ) or Garden Grill- which is not a buffet so foods are limited ( but extremely fresh) and since you're already doing the buffet at Chef Mickey's- you might prefer a family style type setting.... The other option would be Hollywood and Vine at Hollywood Studios ( another buffet) - this has gotten mixed reviews but does have the characters seasonally dressed- if you went for breakfast- it's Disney Jr characters.

Right now, it's looking like we'll be at the Grand Floridian. We will have probably two Magic Kingdom days due to the kids' ages so Crystal Palace might be good. I've never done that one.

Crystal Palace for Pooh & friends
Tusker House is much better than Chef Mickey's, but if you're stuck going to CM I don't think it's worth it to do both since it's the same characters for the most part, just in safari gear
Garden Grill, the food is just ok but kids like the rotating aspect and you get Chip & Dale

Crystal Palace for Pooh & friends
Tusker House is much better than Chef Mickey's, but if you're stuck going to CM I don't think it's worth it to do both since it's the same characters for the most part, just in safari gear
Garden Grill, the food is just ok but kids like the rotating aspect and you get Chip & Dale

I'm not sure these kids even know who Chip and Dale are. Of course neither did my kids back then, but they ended up liking them. But not a huge draw.

I'm not sure these kids even know who Chip and Dale are. Of course neither did my kids back then, but they ended up liking them. But not a huge draw.
Same thing for my kids with Pooh and Friends. I would love to do CP but my kids have zero interest or awareness in those characters. I really wish Disney would modernize some of their character meals.

Same thing for my kids with Pooh and Friends. I would love to do CP but my kids have zero interest or awareness in those characters. I really wish Disney would modernize some of their character meals.

I'm surprised they haven't broken out with Huey, Duey and Louie somewhere since DuckTales is a thing again.
I also wish they'd add newer princesses to the character meals, like Moana. And Anna and Elsa for that matter. Majority of kids would prefer that over Aurora or Snow White.

There were A LOT of characters and Disney classic movies that my kids weren't familiar with before our first trip. I had never really shown them many of the princess movies bc I have all boys and just didn't think to. For several months before our first trip we had lots of family movie nights and they learned and saw a lot of characters they weren't familiar with! Even if they didn't fall in love with a particular character, it was fun for them to have a frame of reference when we were in the parks or meeting characters.

Agree. These two kids would love a Toy Story buffet.

Crystal Palace in MK is a favorite for us for breakfast. Even though none of my kids are huge Pooh fans, there's something about eating on Main Street and walking out to the castle when you're done. And the breakfast there is always very good.

If you are stuck with Chef Mickey's then it is what it is. You will meet the Fab 5 there and I'm sure you'll have a good time. Since you have boys with you, the princess stuff is probably out. Other options that wouldn't be a repeat of characters from Chef Mickey's might be Hollywood & Vine for breakfast for Disney junior characters, Ohana for breakfast for Lilo and Stitch, and 1900 Pare Fare for breakfast with various characters (Mad Hatter, Alice, Mary Poppins). Tusker House and Cape May Cafe will have the same characters as Chef Mickeys. Garden Grill will have the same with the exception of Chip and Dale although most kids these days don't know Chip and Dale.

I would probably limit to 2 or maybe 3 character meals at most. For us any more than that would be too much. I also try to be mindful of travel considerations and travel time so that I'm not scheduling us to run all over creation for character meals. I try to do things that fit into our existing plans (visit a character meal at the park you plan on visiting that day, do a character meal at your resort or a nearby one etc.) Have fun!

I remember reading something about Chip and Dale coming back in animated shorts for Disney plus? I think?

I have the classic Donald cartoon boxed sets, so I don't think my kid will ever not know who Chip and Dale are.

I'm not sure these kids even know who Chip and Dale are.

I am a parent of two boys of similar ages, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Jr. is huge with that age group. Both of my boys (almost 2 and almost 4) love it. Chip and Dale are on that show so a lot of today's kids would know who they are. If the boys haven't watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, they should probably try to get a sense of the characters they will be seeing in the parks!

Regarding character dining for boys while staying at the GF, I suggest Garden Grill at Epcot, Chef Mickey's, Tusker House in AK, or H&V lunch or dinner at DHS, which has the fab 5. The breakfast at H&V has Doc McStuffins and Vampirina, Sofia the first (who isn't on Disney Jr anymore) and Roadster Racer Goofy, so those characters may appeal to boys less. 1900 Park Fare at the GF has Pooh, Alice, Hatter, and Mary Poppins, who aren't the most recognizable to young boys. Ohana has Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, and Stitch, but L&S are also less recognizable if the boys haven't seen the movie. Crystal Palace is another option if they like Winnie the Pooh and friends.

The Toy Story Land Early Morning Magic isn't a character breakfast. You pay to get into TSL early, and a quick service breakfast is included. The characters meet out in the park.

Another vote for garden grill. As a parent, I greatly appreciated the ability to see characters without battling a buffet line with small kids.

Trattoria all Forno breakfast is another plated character meal (Ariel, Eric, Rapunzel, and Flynn) which had delicious food, fun characters, and no need to bring a preschooler through a buffet line.

Here is another vote for Garden Grill! We love the fact that the food is not a buffet, so there is no danger of missing a character. We also love the interaction with all of the characters.

Garden Grill! Delicious breakfast (especially that sticky bun bake!) and great character interactions. Plus it’s way more relaxing than a buffet because it’s served at the table family style. Breakfast at the GG is my daughter’s only meal request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter