Character meals with young kids?

We have been doing one character meal a trip since DS9 (soon to be 10 :scared1:) was 8 months. He was never scared of the characters. Loved them back then. Bored of them now, but since it’s the only time we meet with characters we still do one a trip. I prefer breakfast but that’s a personal preference. I love both Crystal Palace and Tusker House. I’m looking at Garden Grill this next trip.

I agree with others that every kid is different. I’ve seen many a melt downs from other kids when the characters appear.

My DD4 has always loved characters, so no issues there. However my DS is picky, so I'd prefer a buffet meal b/c there are more options for him. So while it's annoying to have to get up and get the kids a plate, more variety means that you know you'll find something they like. Plus I go with my parents and sometimes DH, so there are always at least 3 adults to 2 children.

We do character breakfasts, bc they are cheaper and my kids are generally in the best mood first thing in the am before they've gotten over tired and maybe skipped a nap. We have done and liked: Chef Mickey, 1900 PF, Akershus, Ohana.

So it sounds like we should try one or two (not overdo it) and choose based on the characters my boys are into. I see pros and cons of TS vs. buffet. Buffet could be quicker, but a little more chaotic with having to get up and down and might miss characters. While table service could take longer, but may be more relaxing/easier. Maybe we'll try one of each! And if they're terrified the first time, I could always cancel the second as long as it's 24hrs ahead of time.

So it sounds like we should try one or two (not overdo it) and choose based on the characters my boys are into. I see pros and cons of TS vs. buffet. Buffet could be quicker, but a little more chaotic with having to get up and down and might miss characters. While table service could take longer, but may be more relaxing/easier. Maybe we'll try one of each! And if they're terrified the first time, I could always cancel the second as long as it's 24hrs ahead of time.

We did two with my 20 month old. 'Ohana (because I've always wanted to see the Polynesian, that one was really more for me) and Garden Grill. Hands down, GG beat 'Ohana. I have a friend who will ONLY do character breakfasts, because when you're paying OOP breakfast is the better deal.

You won't miss characters....unless you are in a time crunch. The CMs will bring any character you missed to you. You can just let your server or the CM managing the characters know .... in my experience, the CMs will ask if you were able to interact with all of the characters.

You won't miss characters....unless you are in a time crunch. The CMs will bring any character you missed to you. You can just let your server or the CM managing the characters know .... in my experience, the CMs will ask if you were able to interact with all of the characters.
That's great to know, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!