• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Meals

redtom

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We're planning a trip in October (from UK) and i've been told that 'character meals' re worth doing but probably need booking in advance.

We've 2 kids (7 & 10) and I would be grateful if anyone could recommend the 'meals' that are worth doing.

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Congrats on the Disney Trip!!!

My 9yr DS and I really enjoyed the Crystal Palace breakfast with Pooh, Tigger, etc. Also the Cape May Cafe was really great. We did Chef Mickey, which was fun but we liked the other two better. Have a great time.

Kat

I'd recommend Chef Mickey's (it's at the Contemporary Resort, so you can go on an off day from the parks if you'd like). It has Mickey, Goofy, Chipmunks, etc. Also, the princess breakfast at the castle was excellent!!

I've done the breakfast at the Crystal Palace 2 times (once was just 4 adults, no kids!) and enjoyed it both times.

What are your kids favorite characters? I would see if there was a meal with those characters first.

We've done character lunches at the Crystal Palace in MK (we love Pooh and friends), Garden Grill at Future World in Epcot (Mickey, Chip & Dale, Pluto spend a lot of time with you and it's a very quiet place to enjoy a meal), character dinner at Chef Mickey's (lots of fun but very noisy!), character dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK (very good meal and the characters are dressed in colonial garb..believe we had Minnie, Goofy and Chip & Dale, but this may have changed).

All of these were wonderful and we're planning on doing some of them on our next trip in April! We prefer the lunch/dinner versus breakfast, as we like to get to the parks early and do the attractions and then take breaks later.

We really enjoy the character dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. The meal is served family style, all you can eat. :D

Thank you to everybody who replied to my initial question.

What a lovely & friendly website this is!!

Dermot

A quick questions before I can answer

Kids... Boys/girls or one of each?

kids Favorite characters?

When do you like to eat a large meal?

Are you visiting all the WDW parks?

will you be allowing an "off" day when you dont' go into the parks?

Personally our favs are Donald's breakfastosaurus and Crystal Palace (any meal)

Our favorite is definitely Crystal Palace at MK w/Pooh & Tigger & Friends. We do breakfast here every trip & even tried dinner, too last time - it was great.

We love Liberty Tree Tavern at MK for dinner - thanksgiving style food - served family-style with characters dressed in colonial wear. It's great food w/great characters.

Donald's Breakfastasaurus at AK is a great breakfast w/Donald, Mickey, Goofy & Pluto. It is dinosaur themed & would be especially fun for little boys.

We haven't done either - but the Princess breakfasts are very popular. My MIL recommends Cinderella's breakfast in the castle over the breakfast at Epcot. But characters were great at both.

We always do many character meals on all our trips - and we're just 2 adults for now. The food has always been great & the character interaction makes the meals more memorable - HTH!

We went to Crystal Palace for an early lunch. It was great. There were ten of us and they did not have a table for ten so we were given two tables adjacent to one another which was just fine. The food was very good and the characters were very attentative. We paraded around the room behind Tigger which was fun. There was a big variety of food so you should all be able to find multiple things you each like.

We went to Chef Mickey for breakfast. We had done this twice before on previous trips, and really enjoyed it. This time we were given a big round table in the back room which made us feel a little isolated from the festivities. The food was a little above average but not as good as the Crystal Palace. The bacon was undercooked and greasy and the egg dishes just didn't have much flavor to my taste. The kids did not seem to mind as they gravitated more toward the waffles and pastries. There was a vegi breakfast pizza that was tasty, waffles were good, the sausage was good, the amborsia was good enough to warrant seconds, and they even had smoked salmon which was good if you like that sort of thing. The fruit was fresh and tasty. There was a good variety of foods. Characters were very nice to us.

We did the Princess breakfast at Norway castle with just my twelve year old granddaughter. Most of the famalies had little children, but that did not make us feel out of place. My granddaughter really liked the attention from the princesses. The food was more limited as it was family style and you just got what they brought you (you could get seconds if you wanted). The meal was fresh fruit (good), pastries (good), and a skillet of bacon (good), potatoes (very good), sausage (not to our taste), eggs (we left them), and waffles (very good). We reserved for the 8:30AM time and I misunderstood that we needed to be at the restaurant entrance at 8:00AM so instead of taking the resort bus we took a cab. This was a big mistake as they would not let cabs or cars into the parking lot until 8:00AM and we arrived at 7:50AM so we sat in the cab for ten minutes while resort busses passed us by. The parking lot person was not very nice about it when we explained and we felt unwelcomed by her disinterest and rigidity.

We have been to almost every character meal Disney offers. If your kiddos like certain characters some meals will be more appealing. Some of our favorites are;
CRT in the castle hard to get PS
Hoop Dee Doo alittle expensive but fun fun fun!!
1900 Park Fare in the GF resort
O'Hanas in the PR
Liberty tree Tavern in MK
Crystal Palace in MK
Chef Mickey's in CR
Garden Grille in Land at Epcot
Princess Breakfast in Norway @ Epcot
50's Prime Time not suited characters but really fun servers

Having been to these meals has enabled our children to get photos and autographs of almost every character. We definately believe they are worth the cost!!!

Have a great vacation!!!

:D

First, welcome to the DIS!

I love Chef Mickey's character breakfast. The food was great and the characters were a lot of fun to see. They came to every table for pictures and I didn't see a child that didn't enjoy it. I'm 27 and I felt like a kid.

::MickeyMo Mickey76::MickeyMo

We went in Dec 2000 and did 2 character meals without making ps arrangements. We ate at the Liberty Tree Tavern which was wonderful. My DS then 4 could hardly concentrate on eating his meal because of the characters that were there!
The other place we ate was the Garden Grill at Epcot. The fun part about this was that the restaurant is revolving. We had no wait for seating at either place and saw different characters in both places.
My kids- DS4 & DS8 were thrilled. Now they are 7 & 11 and we are heading back for another vacation!

I would say that with your kids ages I would do a character meal with face characters if at all possible. We just returned from chef mickeys and although we did see each character THREE times in less than an hour, the only interaction was to stand with the kid and take a quick picture and then they were off. I can only guess that they had gotten in trouble for going slow earlier or something, but it seemed that every time we looked up here they came again. And they didn't realize they'd been there because they stopped for a picture every time. The restaurant was packed, so it wasn't that the crowd was light!! Anyway, my kids DD8, DD7, and DD4 all said they liked characters that could talk to them. Of course if you rkids are boys, they may not be into the princess thing!

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter