I HATE Clothes

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
Truly, I wear clothes only because I'm legally obligated to :sad2:. Clothes bring me no joy. I detest clothes shopping...I REALLY hate trying clothes on. Things that look good on the rack always look like garbage on me. Sizes are different in every store and by every manufacturer.

Sigh...my mom is visiting this week from out of state and she wanted to spend the afternoon having lunch,pedicures and shopping. I needed jeans so I was okay with it. Mom offered to buy me some cute stuff for my upcoming Disney trip...and that's where the joy of the afternoon ended.

T-shirts are just out of control now. The material is so cheap and thin as to be transparent, and that's in even the high end stores. Actually it seems like the higher end the store the thinner the material. And MAN are those thin pieces of crap unforgiving for every bodily imperfection one has!

After one or two stores worth of fitting rooms I was thoroughly disgusted with myself (and I'm not fat and don't generally have body issues) and with clothes in general. Things that would fit me in one area would be too snug or too huge elsewhere. A 12 in one store would be fine but in another it was 14/16 or nothing. Most stores didn't carry anything bigger than a 10.

I left the mall practically in tears...but at least I found 2 pairs of jeans at Old Navy.

I totally agree!!

It has gotten so bad that I am going to attempt to make my own skirts and dresses for work. I am an unusual shape so I end up altering most clothes anyway. And everthing is so expensive it seems like a never ending hunt for things that fit, are flattering, and are going to stand up to being washed more than once!

I hear you!

I love Loft clothes, but I am in between sizes right now and it is so fustrating. I will say that I had pretty good luck with Lands End t-shirts. For the basic tees there are 3 different fits and the fabric is a pretty good weight. They are a little more expensive, but I think worth it.

I don't understand the trend with super-sheer tee-shirts, either. I like to wear basic fitted tees with skirts for work, but it seems like now they are all so sheer that you have to layer or you'll be showing your bra to the world.

I used to buy stuff like that at Target, for example, but now the material is so thin that if you hold it up to the light, it's completely see-through.

I'd like a t-shirt that is longer than my belly button (particularly if I put my hands up) and something with a SHAPE. I don't want a boxy man's shirt. And I don't want the world to see my bra clasp or the unfortunate roll I have.

Too much to ask, I know.

I said this on the jeans thread the other day-not every woman "enjoys the hunt" and wants to spend hours trying on clothes. Some of us would love to be able to buy clothing in a simpler way. If your waist measures "x" and your inseam is "y", that's the size you get. If your chest measures "x" and your torso measures "y", that's the size you get. Simple, right? If it works for men, why can't some bright person make it work for women?

I said this on the jeans thread the other day-not every woman "enjoys the hunt" and wants to spend hours trying on clothes. Some of us would love to be able to buy clothing in a simpler way. If your waist measures "x" and your inseam is "y", that's the size you get. If your chest measures "x" and your torso measures "y", that's the size you get. Simple, right? If it works for men, why can't some bright person make it work for women?

I heard in a fashion class once that it was because women freak at the larger numbers that go along with this type of sizing. When you have to buy a "28" for example, that's far scarier to women than a 10. I don't buy it. It worked for Guess jeans for years and it works in Europe.

Anyway, this is why I no longer buy t-shirts in Disney. They're so cheap and thin that they're worthless. I'm trying to nurse my collection of old shirts along, but they're starting to wear out.

I hear you. Clothes shopping is just plain torture! I especially hate shopping for bras. Find one you like, it's guaranteed to be not in your size....then if you do happen to find one, it'll get discontinued! Sigh.

Hey, you should try clothes shopping when you're fat. It's even worse. I'm not crazy about looking at myself in the mirror to start with, the selection in larger sizes is pretty limited, and shopping tends to be just depressing.

If I do find something that fits and is reasonably well made, I buy one in every colour!

Teresa

Well, since walking around naked is not an option, I think maybe you need to try some new stores. Ones you would normally not walk into. I noticed that some stores are ridiculous with their sizing. Hollister and Abercrombie happens to be the two that come to mind.

I hear you. Clothes shopping is just plain torture! I especially hate shopping for bras. Find one you like, it's guaranteed to be not in your size....then if you do happen to find one, it'll get discontinued! Sigh.

I hear ya on this one!

I especially hate shopping for bras. Find one you like, it's guaranteed to be not in your size....then if you do happen to find one, it'll get discontinued! Sigh.

Ohmygod, story of my life. I don't mind regular shopping but I hate bra shopping with a passion. Finding a bra that fits perfectly, looks nice and is under $30 is almost impossible. When this miracle of miracles finally does occur, it always gets discontinued!

I know I posted last night, but my posts are gone :confused3 :confused:.

I suggested these t-shirts from Lands End. If you have a Sears nearby, go check them out. They're thicker than a lot of t-shirts out there, and they are long enough for me and I'm 5'7. There's a V-neck version, too. They run a little big compared to the dinky, tight sizes that most brands sell these days :rolleyes:. I have some in small and in medium.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-s...RCH=IDX_women-_-perfect-tee-shop&origin=index

I think Wheel of Fortune is having a clothing deal for Wheel Watchers this week. Check that out, it might help you.

Oh I absolutely loathe the tight, skinny, and incredibly looooong shirt style that plagues the racks these days (seriously, is it just me or do the shirts get longer and skinnier every year?). I can't wear that crap, it is the exact opposite of how my body is shaped. I have scoliosis so my midsection is all scrunched up, so those long shirts...ugh, just UGH!! Personally I prefer the days where shirts were shorter and wider, but that's all I can wear to look decent. I do 99% of my clothes shopping at Goodwill now.

I'm with you!

I despise shopping for clothes. The process is the furthest thing for fun or relaxing for me.

And, don't get me started on the long, skinny t-shirts...

Hi Jennasis,

I have a couple of great suggestions for T-Shirts. Take a look at Fresh Produce
http://freshproduceclothes.com/clot...d-cotton-crew-t-shirt-sale-select-colors.html
I love their shirts and they have a lot of different fits. The above link is to a slightly fitted shirt. I like the boxy crew neck myself. Their shirts are garment dyed and the colors are just beautiful. And they are made of a nice weight of cotton.

You should also take a look at Chicos. They make great t-shirts in a slightly more dressy fit.
http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/...2&cat=Tops&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=
Depending on your age you may think that Chicos is for older people but they make a great t-shirts and tanks that I use for layering. Their knit is a little more polished than Fresh Produce but they also have a lot of pretty colors. And if you register with them they send discount coupons almost every month.

Well I like the long skinny tees but that's because my jeans tend to wear out around the pockets so if my tee isn't long enough my bootay shows through. lol I hear you on sizes tho, man it makes me crazy, I'm a size 4 at ON but a size 7/9 at Aero....it's just ridiculous! I have a hard time finding things that fit right and finding styles I like.....I've started looking for summer dresses (like sundress styles) and can't find anything that isn't flouncy or skin tight.....it's really driving me insane. Every shirt I find these days seems to be pretty sheer, but in general that's ok with me because I like to layer. I did find a cute shirt at Rue 21 last month, it's a medium gray with hearts and butterflies, it's not see through at all.....and on the flip side I found a really really really cute sundress at Kohl's and it's see through all the way down....I mean if it was just the top it would be OK because I could just wear a tank under it (layers again lol) but it's all the way down so unless I can line the skirt myself I'm going to take it back. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter