Character & you photos?

ScrappyTam

Earning My Ears
When traveling solo, how easy is it to get photos of you and any characters you may want to meet? I'm guessing you can take a selfie, but I'm short & have short arms, so any height discrepancies will make it difficult to take selfies. Any suggestions?

If you are referring to formal meet and greets, the associated cast member will happily take a photo with your camera.

If you’re talking about the random characters you may catch wandering around, I believe they also have a cast member chaperone who may help. Having said that, it does seem harder to make that happen given the lack of a formal line in public. Everyone is scrambling to get a shot. In order to get that solo quick pic, a selfie is going to get you in and out. I don’t think any photo of a wandering character is ever ideal.

Agreed, at an organized meet & greet, there should always be a CM "handler" who will take photos with your camera/phone.

Character meals, a great approach I learned from the Dis (if there is no handler with the character) is to ask the character, "Do you know someone who could take a picture of us?" - when I did that, the character would find a nearby CM to take a pic.

At Tusker House, there was a gentleman CM working the area I was in; there was an adult couple at the table next to mine, and the CM chatted a bit with us and broke the ice. CM was there to take pics with the first two characters, then had to move on to the next room. When there was no handler with the other two characters coming, the man at the next table offered to take pics for me, and I said I'd take pics for them, too, so that worked out great.

I am also short with short arms and cannot take a selfie to save my life, so I totally get where you're coming from!

I've had custodial staff offering to take my photos and other guest will also offer. I cannot take a selfie to save my life so that's never an option, but, rarely have I missed out on a wandering character photo op.

All Photographers will take with your camera as well as theirs (used to be policy - not sure if it still is). CMs always are happy to help - haven't had to turn to other guests much. Glad others have issues with selfies - I started a blooper roll on my camera as mine are hilarious!

I'd just hand over my camera, when it was just a basic SLR, after setting everything up for the castmember. Now with my Canon DSLR, I'd just hand them my phone. If I can get all the metering done ahead of time, I might, MIGHT, hand them my camera.

There is always a handler or photopass person around to take pics with your camera. I have never been turned down when I asked a stranger to take my photo. While you are at it, if you see a couple or a family trying to take a selfie, offer to take a photo for them. It only takes a minute to spread a little pixie dust.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter