Charge to Room or ??

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
Saw this thread on the Resorts Board:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=939780&page=1&pp=15

It's about credit card number theft that may be result of a dishonest Front Desk CM at BWV.

It has me re-thinking the value of giving the Front Desk my credit card at check in. I won't have a laptop along and I don't want to have to check charges online every day while I am on vacation anyway.

I'm thinking of just bringing cash/Travelers' Checks. I don't care about express check out and I know I'm not liable for fradulent charges. I just don't want the hassle and grief!

So do you think it is more risky to use your credit card to charge at several WDW establishments? Or to take a chance that the BWV "problem" has been resolved? Or would you just use cash/Travelers' checks?

Or am I just being overly cautious/paranoid - it's just one post on an internet board, after all, LOL!

Anytime you give your credit card to someone it's possible for them to steal the number. So a bad apple anywhere could cause you trouble so unless you plan to never give it out again to anyone I'd just go ahead and continue to do what you've done in the past.

CarolMN said:

It's about credit card number theft that may be result of a dishonest Front Desk CM at BWV.

It has me re-thinking the value of giving the Front Desk my credit card at check in. I won't have a laptop along and I don't want to have to check charges online every day while I am on vacation anyway.

I'm thinking of just bringing cash/Travelers' Checks. I don't care about express check out and I know I'm not liable for fradulent charges. I just don't want the hassle and grief!

So do you think it is more risky to use your credit card to charge at several WDW establishments? Or to take a chance that the BWV "problem" has been resolved? Or would you just use cash/Travelers' checks?

Or am I just being overly cautious/paranoid - it's just one post on an internet board, after all, LOL!
You could always give the front desk cash at the time you check in and have this posted to your room account. Then you would be able to charge to the room key up to the limit of your deposited amount. At the end of your stay, you would get a refund of the unused portion of your deposit. This approach allows you to charge to the room key rather than paying cash in the restaurants and gift shops. I'm not certain if you'd get a cash refund for any unused portion of a Traveler Check deposit, but you should be able to find out by calling the front desk at the resort and asking them.

Ralph

CarolMN said:

Well, instead of only one person having the chance to steal your information, now you are allowing that many more people access to your information, and IMO, increasing the chances for theft.

We NEVER assign a cc to our room account. We carry a limited amt of cash and Travelers cks to the parks along with our cc . If we want to charge it, we do it with our CREDIT CARD, not our room key/card---we have shopped like crazy with our VISA Card and all the places we've shopped at (all over WDW and DTD) have been very good about asking for ID when using a credit card. Like you, I don't consider if paranoia to be concerned about attaching a credit card to your room---but everytime I think about doing that I think of a post from this board of a family member that used a DVC Member's points, charged to a room (using their cc) and left w/o "paying the tab" because they were told there wasn't one, when they KNEW they had charged to the room---long story short, the DVC Member is ultimately responsible for whomever is using your points, and if they mess up, well then, it automatically becomes your problem. My DH and I just rented some points to a friend, we booked them for our DD who couldn't go at the last minute, and one of my stipulations was, that no CC be attached to the room...good luck in making your decision. dn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter