Chase Freedom and Chase Pay

TexasErin

Loves old Pluto cartoons
DVC Silver
I am so in the weeds after reading the email on how to get the 5% offered on the Chase freedom categories this quarter. I have never used chase pay before, so I don’t understand if that can be used in gas stations or not? If so, how would you use the app at a gas station?

I clicked the link in the Chase email about merchants, but really found it complicated because some merchants get 5% off if you used the Chase Pay app, but some categories of those merchants are excluded??

Of the merchants I saw listed, I will do tons of Christmas shopping at Best Buy and it looks like using the Chase Pay app with my Chase Freedom will get me 5% versus just using my Disney Visa. I also buy a lot of groceries at Walmart and get gas either there or Sam’s.

Any help or guidance from anyone?

I am so in the weeds after reading the email on how to get the 5% offered on the Chase freedom categories this quarter. I have never used chase pay before, so I don’t understand if that can be used in gas stations or not? If so, how would you use the app at a gas station?

I clicked the link in the Chase email about merchants, but really found it complicated because some merchants get 5% off if you used the Chase Pay app, but some categories of those merchants are excluded??

Of the merchants I saw listed, I will do tons of Christmas shopping at Best Buy and it looks like using the Chase Pay app with my Chase Freedom will get me 5% versus just using my Disney Visa. I also buy a lot of groceries at Walmart and get gas either there or Sam’s.

Chase pay is fairly limited.
I’ve used Chase pay at Shell stations but I’m not sure it can be used at any other stations.
Walmart.com takes Chase pay but I don’t think chase pay works at the stores. They now have Walmart pay.
I use it at Best Buy....and usually have to tell the cashiers how to use it.
You can also get your 5x points this quarter at department stores and warehouse stores using your card, not chase pay.

Just to add, gas at sams won’t be 5x, but I am going to swing by and see if I can buy gift cards in sams to use at the pump as a workaround.

eta: found this...yay!
https://help.samsclub.com/app/answe...BcDRMN0RyM0NOME1TWkRXNFVUM1hjS0V2OWclMjElMjE=

Thank you both! That really clarified it. Ready to rack up some rewards!

If you have Samsung Pay you can use Chase Pay through Samsung Pay. I have not tried yet. But you open Chase pay and then select "pay with samsung pay."

I stick with the major brand credit cards like VISA or MasterCard since most stores take them. A lot of those other cards offer gimmicks/cash back that really aren't worth the hassle. Even the airline related cards aren't of much value unless you can accumulate enough points to make it worthwhile. If you end up with a few points for each airline using different cards, the mileage probably expires before you ever have enough to buy a ticket.

I stick with the major brand credit cards like VISA or MasterCard since most stores take them. A lot of those other cards offer gimmicks/cash back that really aren't worth the hassle. Even the airline related cards aren't of much value unless you can accumulate enough points to make it worthwhile. If you end up with a few points for each airline using different cards, the mileage probably expires before you ever have enough to buy a ticket.
The card the OP referenced (Chase Freedom) is a Visa card. The points earned by its purchases can be redeemed in many different ways.

Ultimate Reward points never expire unless you have at least one UR card open.

Check out the "I Love Credit Cards" thread and it might change your mind about reward earning cards. I have been flying for basically free for the past two years.

:scared1::scared1: Between my DH and I, we have opened 10 new Reward credit cards in the last 2 years and have gotten over $14,000 in free travel. Rewards cards are major brand Visa/Mastercard/Amex and are definitely worth the hassle. Come join us on the I Love Credit Card thread and see what it is about.

I'd be hesitant to use Chase pay on anything that you might need to return, specifically on Walmart.com. I used it a while back and when I tried to return something in the order to a Walmart store, the cashier couldn't refund it to my CC because the payment was made online through Chase pay. She could only give me a Walmart gift card for the balance. Not sure if she didn't know what she was doing, but that's what she told me when she couldn't get the refund to process. Not a huge deal, as it was only $20, and I was going to purchase some things that day in store anyway so I just used up the gift card. But I hate to think what would have happened if it had been a big purchase and I was stuck with $$$ on a gift card.

Check out the "I Love Credit Cards" thread and it might change your mind about reward earning cards.

I did and still doesn't change anything for me. Unless you charge a lot on any one card, you won't accumulate enough to make it worthwhile. I will stick with the cards I already have. Credit card companies try various gimmicks to get you to use their card, that is how they make money.

I did and still doesn't change anything for me. Unless you charge a lot on any one card, you won't accumulate enough to make it worthwhile. I will stick with the cards I already have. Credit card companies try various gimmicks to get you to use their card, that is how they make money.
You certainly know yourself and your spending habits better than anyone else. CC travel hacking isn't for everyone. However, for those who are willing to take the time to work the system, it can be well worth the effort. I have an AA Visa. It has an annual fee. But taking just one flight with 3 other people makes up for that fee alone due to the free checked bags. The other benefits are just icing on the cake. And that's a card which I rarely use. As long as I earn one qualifying mile with AA during an 18-month period (which can be done by purchasing a tank of gasoline, a small grocery store trip or shopping thru their online portal), my miles never expire.

Yes, there are gimmicks. But there are also ways to ways to reap the benefits if you approach it with a careful plan. I'm in awe of those who manage to travel for free through aggressive travel hacking. I'm a casual hacker and I still manage to do quite well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter