Chase the wind and touch the sky - a training journal (comments welcome)

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
June 5, 2018: Hello, my name is Kathryn and I've decided as of yesterday that I'm going to go from zero to marathon by 2020. Or at least half marathon. Not sure yet. Most of my best life decisions have come very suddenly like this, so it's all good. I've been on the Disboards for a while but haven't really ventured into this forum until yesterday, so hello and thank you to everyone who's already been welcoming to me!

About me:
IMG_6363.JPG
A nerd and proud of it

I'm 31 years old and I've never run a full mile in my life. I hated all forms of exercise as a kid, and even as an adult most of my hobbies are sedentary (I'm big into tabletop gaming and I do a lot of reading and knitting). I've tried running a few times and actually really liked it, though! I like that I don't have to go to a gym, or rely on someone else's schedule, or do a bunch of complicated dance moves (I might as well have two left feet)--I just have to get dressed and start from my own front door. Love that. I also love road races. I got turned on to the idea of them in high school when my whole family would volunteer together to prep food and hand out water at the Cherry Creek Sneak down in Denver; there's just something really magical about getting up before dawn and going out into the world on a brisk morning with hundreds or thousands of people who are all there to run together.

I walked my first 5K late in high school, then didn't really do any running for most of a decade. In the early 2010s I decided to start running 5Ks several times per year, but didn't really do any training or have any idea how to pace myself. One summer I ran a 5K every month, but because I didn't prepare myself for them I'd walk more than half the distance and still feel like I was dying by the end. But I kept doing them! In 2016 I decided to get a little more serious and do a Couch to 5K program (I chose the Zombies Run! program because I like a good story), and I got through 3.75 of the 8 weeks program. My home life got a bit derailed that summer when my current housemate and I moved out of the home we'd been renting with two other women and bought a house of our own; while that was overall a change for the better, the stress caused me to stop running and stop eating well, and I basically regained the entire 80 lbs I'd previously lost via dieting in 2013, plus I lost all the running endurance I'd built up in my brief training stint. 2017 was a big year of nothing for me in terms of health-related goals, but 2018 is going to be my year to get back on track. I've come to the decision that I'm not going to seek weight loss for the sake of weight loss anymore...that worked for me once, five years ago, but I just got thin without really getting into good shape, and it didn't stick because it was all about creating a calorie deficit instead of about doing something I actually enjoyed. This time around I'm not looking at my weight as a metric for how healthy I am--this time it's going to be about pushing myself to be faster and have better endurance, and whatever other physical changes come of that will come of it.

Oh, and I live in Montana, where it gets crazy cold in the winter. There are probably five months out of the year when I'm not going to want to run outside (and some of that will go beyond not wanting to and into the territory of it just plain not being safe), which is a challenge I'm going to have to address this coming fall.

Goals
2018:

• Change permanently to an early-to-rise sleep schedule
  • Complete a 13 week training program to reach 3.5 miles as my weekly long run
  • Run a 5K or 3.5 mile road race
  • Figure out how I'm going to handle indoor runs this winter
  • Draft or purchase a training plan to reach 10K and beyond
2019:
  • Run the Governor's Cup half-marathon in June (goal is to finish; proof of time at a 12:00 pace would be a big bonus!)
  • Register and train to run the marathon at WDW Marathon Weekend 2020

Personal Records
5K @ 47:10.2 (October 27, 2018)

Training Records
  • Fastest mile: 14:11 (June 23, 2018)
  • Longest run: 3.51 miles (fall 2018)

Last edited:
Current Challenges and Their Solutions:

This is a place to keep track of the things that could prevent me from running if I allow them to become excuses for skipping runs, and to commit to practical solutions in order to show myself that none of these problems are insurmountable.

Challenge:
Come winter, I will not want to run outdoors many mornings, and some mornings may be legitimately dangerous for running due to ice, risk of frostbite, and health risks related to breathing extremely cold air.
Solutions:
  • I will establish a rock-solid training schedule while the weather is good so that when winter comes, I'll be maintaining a schedule rather than fighting to establish one.
  • I will read up on treadmills and figure out what kind I want to buy so I'm prepared to make that purchase as soon as the weather turns.
  • I will clear floorspace in the basement rec room so I can set up the treadmill in there and watch movies on my awesome entertainment system while I do my indoor runs.
  • I will look into indoor tracks and other opportunities for indoor running around town in case the treadmill plan is unworkable for any reason.

Challenge:
It's going to be really stinking cold in winter and I don't have any winter running clothes!
Solutions:
  • Starting in July, I will focus my entire clothing budget on only things I can wear to run (and/or use on my Disneyland Paris trip; there'll be a lot of overlap) until I have built up enough of a winter running wardrobe to function in cold weather.
  • I will compile a list of the types of clothing needed (base layers, mid layers, outer jackets, ice cleats...) and systematically shop category by category online, giving myself plenty of time to compare clothing, return things that don't fit, etc.

Last edited:

Alright! That's all my header posts done...hopefully I'll actually keep up on this. I forgot to mention above that the impetus for deciding to not just go couch to 5K, but couch to half marathon or marathon, is that I plan to be in WDW during marathon weekend in 2020. Assuming the same itinerary is offered again in 2020, I'm going on a 4-night cruise on the Dream that embarks right after that weekend one way or another since I want to use my placeholder (finally decided that after a bunch of waffling over different options). If I can train up to run the marathon or half marathon, though, so much the better! I've wanted to do a runDisney event because it sounds like everything I love about road races turned up to 11, and a year and a half is probably about as much time as I need if I'm going to ever get serious and do this thing. I have no idea if I'll be the kind of person who likes running marathons or if I'll be one and done, but I want to do it at least once in my life...and since I've wanted to do runDisney, why not knock both off my bucket list in one go?

The big thing is addressing the challenges that have stopped me from walking or running in the past and being honest about how little they really get in my way if I stay committed (see "current challenges" post, above). For instance, I could have told myself that I'd start the new routine after I got my gear together and bought a new sports bra--both things I do need to do before I start running again. That'd delay me until at least next week, though, and I want the benefits of early morning exercise now. So this morning I got up at 6:00 instead of my usual 7:15, put on regular clothing, and walked the dog for half an hour. Then, because I had so much time left over after my shower, I walked to work as well--bonus! That's another mile (actually a bit more than a mile) each way.

Speaking of the dog, I'd thought about taking her with me on the couch-to-5K journey, but this morning reminded me that she still has incredibly poor leash manners :sad2: (yeah, that's my fault). She'd be too distracting when I'm actually running, so I'm thinking on my off days I'll plan on doing a 20 to 30 minute walk with her and focusing on teaching her to walk more nicely on the leash, since I won't have to worry about my own time or distance on those mornings. She'll just have to stay home when I run for now.

So, to recap:
  • Giant goals set as of last night
  • Successful first morning with two substantial walks and a third to follow when I walk home from work!
  • My dog cannot be my running buddy because we still need to work on basic leash etiquette

Yay, a new training journal. Great job on laying out your goals. @DopeyBadger who posts here frequently will tell you that writing down your goal and announcing them make you 78.23% (made up statistic with added decimals for fake realism effect) more likely to achieve them.

Also, you cannot reference a dog on this thread without sharing pictures of said dog.

Excited to read about your journey.

Yay, a new training journal. Great job on laying out your goals. @DopeyBadger who posts here frequently will tell you that writing down your goal and announcing them make you 78.23% (made up statistic with added decimals for fake realism effect) more likely to achieve them.

Also, you cannot reference a dog on this thread without sharing pictures of said dog.

Excited to read about your journey.

I'll do you one better; here's a picture of all three dogs that live in our household.

IMG_6345.JPG

The giantess in the foreground is my dog, Penny. She's...very much a two-year-old. The two little ones (the old man, Neal, behind Penny, and the baby, Rose, on the left) both belong to my housemate. Mutts and rescues, all of them. :D

Also, reading through your motivation, while there is normally a 5k on Disney's private island when you do the cruises, the cruise following Marathon weekend turns it up to 11 - and if you also run one of the Marathon weekend events and register for the 5k, you get extra bling. That's the Castaway Cay Challenge. Doesn't have to be the marathon specifically, but you do have to do some extra registration for it.

Also, reading through your motivation, while there is normally a 5k on Disney's private island when you do the cruises, the cruise following Marathon weekend turns it up to 11 - and if you also run one of the Marathon weekend events and register for the 5k, you get extra bling. That's the Castaway Cay Challenge. Doesn't have to be the marathon specifically, but you do have to do some extra registration for it.

Can you still do the 5K on that cruise if you don't run a marathon weekend event? I know you don't get the bling, but I've been wondering about that since I assume the Challenge replaces the normal cruise 5K. I did not get up and run on Castaway Cay on my trip this past January; it was a very lazy vacation for me...so i don't really know what the regular one is like. u_u

Can you still do the 5K on that cruise if you don't run a marathon weekend event? I know you don't get the bling, but I've been wondering about that since I assume the Challenge replaces the normal cruise 5K. I did not get up and run on Castaway Cay on my trip this past January; it was a very lazy vacation for me...so i don't really know what the regular one is like. u_u
I think so? I can't say for sure because I haven't done the cruise immediately after the marathon yet, but I have done the regular cruise 5k and it's a very laid-back race. My guess is that the Challenge is a little more amped up but they still allow folks to run it without the Challenge registration, just to get the normal medal (which is rubber). Someone else who has run it might be able to offer more insight though.

The 5k course on the island isn't all that impressive but it's nice enough as a chance to run after being on the ship for a few days. It's an out and back, essentially, and they're clever with where they put the water stop so you go by it 4 times. And you're done early, most of the time, so there's still plenty of time to go and do other things on the island.

I love how you wrote out your challenges and how you plan to address them - that's really the first step in setting yourself up for success. I'm excited to see how things go for you!

As far as the cruise 5K goes - I want to say that the FIRST 5K is only for Castaway Challenge registrants ... that's where you get the metal medal, and then after that, they host the regular 5K where you get the rubber medal. I don't know if the Challenge registrants get both the metal medal AND the rubber medal. @tigger536 has done it the last two years - Jacque, any help?

As far as the cruise 5K goes - I want to say that the FIRST 5K is only for Castaway Challenge registrants ... that's where you get the metal medal, and then after that, they host the regular 5K where you get the rubber medal. I don't know if the Challenge registrants get both the metal medal AND the rubber medal. @tigger536 has done it the last two years - Jacque, any help?
So I should plan on "running" 10k that morning in order to do one with the husband. Good to know!

So I should plan on "running" 10k that morning in order to do one with the husband. Good to know!

I *think* that's how it works! I've only done the generic race - but I'm almost positive that the Challenge and the traditional 5Ks are two different races. I know for the Challenge, you pick up your shirt and your bib at the Expo in Orlando when you pick up your other Marathon Weekend stuff.

Hmm hmm, good to know about Castaway Cay. I do want to run the Challenge...I mean, why not if I run on marathon weekend? But I'm also trying not to pin all my running hopes and dreams on this one trip. If I'm not ready for a marathon or a half by then, there will be other marathons and halves later. It'd just be a really, really good time to do it in terms of when I'm able to afford a runDisney trip.

Weekly Journal: June 3-9, 2018

Monday, June 4:

• Made the decision to shift my sleep schedule in order to enable early morning runs. Brainstormed goals for 2018 and 2019.
Tuesday, June 5:
  • Began new morning schedule (6:00 wakeup; 6:30 walk or run).
  • Walked Penny, 0.5 hour. She was very poorly behaved on the retractable leash.
  • Set goals for 2018 and 2019; started this training journal.
  • Walked to/from work (2.4 mile round trip)
Wednesday, June 6:
  • Continued 6:00/6:30 schedule--may need to bump this back to 5:45 or 5:30 so I have time to digest a pre-walk/run snack.
  • Walked Penny, 0.5 hour. Used static leash and focused on leash etiquette training; saw rapid improvements. She might make a running buddy yet!
  • Walked to/from work (2.4 mile round trip)
Thursday, June 7:
  • Did not get enough sleep last night
  • Walked Penny, 0.5 hour.
  • Bought new gear!
Friday, June 8:
  • Walked Penny, 0.5 hour
Saturday, June 9:
  • Not enough sleep again
  • Walked Penny, 40 minutes
Totals:
  • 5x walking the dog
  • 2x walking to work
Challenges Addressed:
  • Challenge:
    I don't know where all my running gear is, and my sports bra no longer fits since I gained weight. This has in the past been enough to prevent me from exercising by itself.
    Solutions:
    • Immediately began walking to get into the new routine until I could run.
    • Gathered my existing gear.
    • Bought a new sports bra, capris, and top.

Last edited:

You get both the plastic and the metal medal! Sign up for it when you sign up for the other marathon weekend races. You can only run this one if you have registered in advance and picked up your stuff at marathon weekend.

You get a challenge shirt (AND ITS TECH! Its actually possible for RunDisney to do a 5K tech shirt, who knew) and your bib during marathon weekend. Its at 7 AM, before anyone else is allowed to get off the ship. Its cool being the only ones on CC for a little while. This year is the 5th anniversary (anniversary bling!) There are character stops on the course, and the course is different from the "free" 5K. You have the option of signing up for and doing the free one too (sign up on board for that as normal), but I've never bothered since you get both medals for the challenge one anyway. They also have characters (and mimosas and beer, for purchase) afterwards, before you get back on the ship. They make everyone get back on after the race, which is fine because you want breakfast and a shower anyways.

You get both the plastic and the metal medal! Sign up for it when you sign up for the other marathon weekend races. You can only run this one if you have registered in advance and picked up your stuff at marathon weekend.

You get a challenge shirt (AND ITS TECH! Its actually possible for RunDisney to do a 5K tech shirt, who knew) and your bib during marathon weekend. Its at 7 AM, before anyone else is allowed to get off the ship. Its cool being the only ones on CC for a little while. This year is the 5th anniversary (anniversary bling!) There are character stops on the course, and the course is different from the "free" 5K. You have the option of signing up for and doing the free one too (sign up on board for that as normal), but I've never bothered since you get both medals for the challenge one anyway. They also have characters (and mimosas and beer, for purchase) afterwards, before you get back on the ship. They make everyone get back on after the race, which is fine because you want breakfast and a shower anyways.

Oh man, this is all exactly what I wanted to hear. :rainbow: I know if I don't do any "official" runs on that trip I should be at a point where I'll at least want to do the 5K, so it's good that the free one's an option for those who didn't do marathon weekend. But...too-practical thoughts out of the way, clearly the thing to do is to just run the dang HM or marathon and the timed Challenge so I can get all the bling and all the feeling of accomplishment.

I noticed that when I was reading over the runDisney pages...what's with the cotton for the shorter races? Even I know I don't want to run in cotton....:snooty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter