• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheap and safe offsite suggestions for a solo??

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
It looks like my first solo trip to WDW will be the first week in April. I've never stayed offsite, but would like to explore that world as long as it would be only me. Besides, I'm cheap!! Does anyone have any suggestions for budget-priced, safe accommodations within a sane driving distance to WDW? All input is greatly appreciated!!

My DH and I have stayed at Clarion Hotel Maingate twice for 3 nights each time (Nov. and Dec. of this year) and were very happy with the price and quality. It is an older hotel with older furniture but is very clean, feels very safe, has interior corridors and very helpful staff. We used Priceline and paid only $26.00/night for our last trip. It's about 3 miles from Disney.

I like Palm Parkway for offsite hotels. It is located just blocks away from Hotel Plaza Blvd and Downtown Disney, yet it's not crazy like the main roadway is.

Both the Hampton Inn and Sierra Suites there are clean, fairly new and safe. Staff in both locations were nice also. Hampton Inn has basic hotel rooms, a small gym and offers a free breakfast buffet. Sierra Suites has larger rooms with a kitchenette and bedroom/living room.

I'll never again stay solo anywhere along 192 in Kissimmee. After a stay at one hotel there that gave me the creeps and was dirty the term "cheap" has a new meaning.

I am using the Rodeway Inn - using this site - but that is not until May - I am hoping that it will be nice since I think the Dreams Unlimited only recommend hotels that they have used.

I will tell you more then - I am going in March and I am thinking of stopping by and asking to see a room.

I tried priceline but even asking for a 2 star at $35.00 a night - they couldn't find anything

I when to the help site and got told I was asking much to far in advance.

It has been since 88 that I have stayed in a cheap off-site hotel - boy I miss the deals Interval use to have - $215 for a week in a Marriott....oh those were the days....

I am still hoping that I can find something for my time - might be paying $399 -but for a week stay - I think it will be worth it.

I haven't actually stayed there, but I was researching Homewood Suites, Lake Buena Vista for my trip in December 2003. Several people on other boards (including solos) said it was a good value and the location is very good. They include a daily continental breakfast and manager's reception either Monday through Thursday or Sunday through Thursday (I can't remember which).

The primary draw for me was a refrigerator and microwave, as I eat small quantities of food and have to leave 1/2 to 2/3 of my restaurant meals. At $20 plus per meal, that's a lot of money thrown out! The room rates were very good, as well, with a good sized bedroom/living area.

I may book part of my stay there next trip (April or May, I hope!), as it will be about 10 days total. WDW is great, but sometimes it's nice to get away for a while.

Taja :sunny:

Here is something that I posted awhile back. We loved this place and ate all but lunch at the hotel.

My mother and I stayed at Sierra Suites 9/11/02 through 9/21/02 (10 nights). Loved it and will go back next time. It’s located on Palm Parkway just a hop and skip from The Crossroad. We timed the commute to the parks and it ran 10 to 15 minutes. It’s more of a convention hotel. (had a pilots convention going on when we checked in) But this place was perfect for us. They have light housekeeping. We are not messy travelers and prefer not to have the sheet changed every day. The place was very clean even with the light housekeeping concept. A full cleaning was done every fourth day. The room was large with a king and a pull out queen. Kitchenette had: coffee maker with tea, coffee, sugar and creamer, toaster, micro, full sized fridge with ice maker, stove top, dish washer, garbage disposal and all the dishes, glasses, mugs silverware, pots and pans that you would need. Oh salt and pepper was also provided. It was the last hotel in this particular hotel strip, so the traffic going by the hotel was a bit less. But you have to watch out for fast moving locals' traffic along Palm Parkway when you pull out of the parking lot. That was the only negative that we could find. We had a room on the second floor facing the pool and never heard any noise from the pool. The breakfast was apples, some times bananas, muffins, some times other pastries, bagels and cream cheese, three to four cereals, two kinds of milk, three types of juice, coffee (regular and decaf) and tea. There was a WinDixe and an ABC just down the street. Better prices than at The Crossroads! Last but not least was the staff. They were pleasent, friendly and helpful with any questions and we actually had a good time talking with them. Any other questions please let me know. Oh I paid $65.95 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter